does the srx consume oil?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, does the srx consume oil? in Cadillac SRX Forums; 2007 srx went through 2 1/2 quarts in 5k no leaks.wtf?...
    kilrcady is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 srx 1977 coupe deville

does the srx consume oil?

2007 srx went through 2 1/2 quarts in 5k no leaks.wtf?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

Re: does the srx consume oil?

Quote Originally Posted by kilrcady View Post
    2007 srx went through 2 1/2 quarts in 5k no leaks.wtf?
    V6?

If so, the best advice I could give you is to use the search function in this SRX forum, research the stickys, and do some serious reading. The topic of oil consumption-----specifically, mysteriously disappearing motor oil in the GenI V6 for 2004-2008-----is arguably one of the top 5 discussed issues.

These threads will cover everything you need to know and what some have done inside and outside of warranty to mitigate, eliminate, or live with the problem. If my impression is correct, the long term fix involves oil rings and valves/ valve guides.

You may want to bone up on stretched timing chains, another well-covered V6 topic.

And while you are reading, make sure you check your motor oil level on that dipstick quite frequently or you might get an unexpected "no reading on the dipstick" dangerously low oil level along with some major engine damage.

PJ

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

Not everyone experiences issues. Some motors hardly burn oil at all. Some issues can be explained by oil system having cavities that fill up only after you drive. So if you fill to the correct area as indicated on the dipstick during an oil change, the oil level may drop below this substantially and would need to be topped up after a couple of drives. Cadillac may also have addressed the issue in later years although it is not clear. Many users report no loss when using high quality synthetic oil (recommended).

carguy2006 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 Seville & 2 Corvettes 69 & 07

Check oil often; down 2 & 1/2 quarts - your lucky you didn't have VVT issues.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

kilrcady,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue. Have you brought this issue to your dealers attention?

Thank you,

Elizabeth, Cadillac Customer Service

Its going in next week.I really like this car and its under warranty.The check engine light just came on but it runs excellent.it has only 50k miles just turned this week.I've owned many Cadillacs and don't want to get a bad taste from this one.How would I know if I have VVT issues?

G32006SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac SRX V6 AWD

I've posted this on another oil thread. I added Bardahl to my oil at the last oil change. So far fingers crossed not a drop of oil needed to be added and I'm at 84% oil life. I noticed when the car sat for 2 weeks and I started it there was no smoke. When I did this once before the Bardahl there was a huge plume of smoke. I'll keep everyone posted.

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by G32006SRX View Post
    I've posted this on another oil thread. I added Bardahl to my oil at the last oil change. So far fingers crossed not a drop of oil needed to be added and I'm at 84% oil life. I noticed when the car sat for 2 weeks and I started it there was no smoke. When I did this once before the Bardahl there was a huge plume of smoke. I'll keep everyone posted.
    While I have never been a fan of oil additives, I think anyone with the mysterious disappearing oil in the V6 and, depending upon the severity, and perhaps facing an out of pocket (no warranty) expense, might be seriously interested in this, G32006SRX. Which Bardahl oil additive product are you trying out? There are 6 different ones I could find.

Another poster is still waiting and watching his SRX consumption issue after changing to a 20W-50 oil viscosity, but I can't recall who it was.

PJ

G32006SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac SRX V6 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by PJ1520 View Post
    While I have never been a fan of oil additives, I think anyone with the mysterious disappearing oil in the V6 and, depending upon the severity, and perhaps facing an out of pocket (no warranty) expense, might be seriously interested in this, G32006SRX. Which Bardahl oil additive product are you trying out? There are 6 different ones I could find.

Another poster is still waiting and watching his SRX consumption issue after changing to a 20W-50 oil viscosity, but I can't recall who it was.

PJ
    PJ...Got the Bardahl No Smoke Plus Stop Leak. My bottle looks different than the bottle on the web-site. I added it to the Mobil 1 Full Synthetic at my last change. The stuff is thicker than honey. I'm not a believer about additives but I figured what the heck.. give it a shot... so far I'm cautiously optimistic. Keep you all posted.

went to the dealer.he said they burn oil that I should check my oil at every gas fillup.I said I didn't know we were in the sixties when They ALL burned oil.My dodge ram has 250k and it dont burn nor leak oil and I beat on her.Well its in for new timing chains under warranty.also I having the throllebody cleaned and a reprogram of the pcm do to a delay in throttle response and a little chugging that comes and goes.well we'll see how this goes

Pinhauler is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 v6 SRX

Just noticed today in my On-Star report a little note about checking oil at every fillup ! Well thanks GM. Best advice is to stop using 5w - type oil . Go to 10w - or 20w- Mobil 1.

cfishkin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by PJ1520 View Post

PJ
    I'm the one who's trying the 20W-50. I believe I got about another 1000 miles (from 1,500 to 2,500) but I don't want to be quoted until I can confirm. Added a quart and tracking again. Keep everyone posted.

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

My manual says to use synthetic 5W30 and notes that not all synthetic 5W30 oils meet the GM specifications. Having said that I looked up an engine oil temperature chart, which gives me the following ranges:

0W30 good for -36C to +30C (86F)
    5W30 good for -30C to +30C
    10W30 good for -20C to +30C
    10W40 good for -20C to +40C (104F)

Given the above temp ranges, the manual specifications make sense for my area, but what if you live in AZ, TX, FL etc? Does one follow the recommended oil specs or whatever is in the manual?

wala01 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 SRX 3.6 L V6

Hi

I have a 2006 SRX 3.6 L and was experiencing high oil consumption to the tune of 3.7 L in 8000 Kms. GM dealer advised that that was outside the scope of normal usage so replaced the engine under warranty. I was very grateful for this.

shwtibby is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac SRX Sport AWD V-6

Wala, Was the engine replacement done at a dealer in the USA? Any recommendations on what the specifics were to get GM to replace the engine rather than re-build it? I'm on my last leg of an oil consumption study with my local dealer (my '08 3.6 is going through one quart of Mobil 1 5w30 every 750 miles) and the discussions with the dealer leads me to believe they will rebuild (valve guides & rings) the engine. Thanks.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.