Replacing burned out front turn signal bulb - you've got to be kidding me
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Replacing burned out front turn signal bulb - you've got to be kidding me in Cadillac SRX Forums; My wife left for work yesterday morning before me as usual. About 15 minutes later she calls me at home ...
    USAFRET is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe A6 w/RECARO's

Replacing burned out front turn signal bulb - you've got to be kidding me

My wife left for work yesterday morning before me as usual. About 15 minutes later she calls me at home to let me know the turn signal flasher/clicker is announcing the SRX has a burnt out turn signal bulb. I tell her no big deal, I'll fix it after work. I get home after her so at 5:30 I get my first chance to check the car. Sure enough it's the left front bulb. No biggie, I get the Owner's Manual find the P/N I need, run over to Advanced Auto buy two (if one goes the other isn't far behind is my thinking). Get home and stare at the front lens. No visible screws etc I have a lap top in my garage and Google "How to change a turn signal bulb Cadillac SRX" WOW there is a Three Part DIY Video. I'm thinking you have to be kidding me, so I click on it. Sure enough it's on a 2005. The first thing I notice is you have to remove the tire and inner fender panels.

To make a long story short we dropped off our 2009 SRX at our cadillac dealer this morning. Turns out it's covered under warranty.

But to have to jack up your car, remove a tire and disassemble the fender well liner, then remove the lens assembly to change a $3 bulb.

Thank god it's covered under warranty. I wonder how much it would have cost me out of warranty???

I feel better now after venting.

Tom

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

st_pinetree is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): SRX

Re: Replacing burned out front turn signal bulb - you've got to be kidding me

If you are mechanical, it's not a very big deal. Takes a half hour tops. Nevertheless, it is a PITA.

Darth Xed is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX

I dont understand why they couldnt have put a little door/cover int he fender liner to make accessing the bulb and lense simple.

louisn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 srx V-8 awd

The dealer's procedure is to remove the entire front bumper. You may want them to replace the other bulb and the sockets too. The sockets are the real problem.

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

USAFRET.........an F22 Raptor very well might be easier to work on.

PJ

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

an F22 Raptor very well might be easier to work on.
    It is

ktr-sb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 SRX 3.6L 2WD

srxturnsignals.shutterfly.com

n7don_srx is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac '07 SRX-V6 RWD, '03 Envoy, '95 S10 pu

Quote Originally Posted by ktr-sb View Post
    www.srxturnsignals.shutterfly.com
    Nice job of documenting the process.

I've extended the socket life on my Envoy by putting a small dab of dielectric grease on the socket before inserting the bulb. One headlight bulb and socket were replaced under warranty and the other side was starting to brown. Put some dielectric grease on both. The browned side is still OK after nearly 5 years. Every time I have a connection apart it gets the grease treatment.

Woodengolfer is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have a 2009 SRX with Sport Pkg and there is a screw on the upper front of the turn signal lens. I assume its for r/r of bulb?

Follow up, dropped car off at dealer after work, in addition to telling me the burned out bulb is covered under warranty they said they do a free 41 point safety inspection. Since the car has 40K miles I was curious as to the condition of my brake pads. When we picked up the car they said the car "needs" nothing - everything checked out OK (I recently replaced the air/cabin filters and wiper blades) and had they shown up as needing to be replaced there would have been a fight. They also correctly identified my tire tread wear as I had to replace the right rear tire at 25K miles and the paper work showed the other three tires at 6/32nd and the right rear at 8/32nds. So their 41 point inspection was 100% accurate with no BS added. They also mentioned that the porter noticed the drivers door lever was rough and the chrome peeling (hell yes my wife and I both cut our fingers opening the door and I used a Dremil to burnis off the rough spots). They replaced it with a new lever which nice and smooth.

Needless to say I was pleased with how my local Cadillac dealer responded to what started off as a bad day. I was so impressed we dropped off our 08 Jaguar XK to have them look at my squealing front brakes as don't want to have to drive 45 miles to the only Jag dealer in St Louis.

Cheers

Tom

Professor Wizard is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX-4 Sport / TriCoatWhite

Tom - yea... lightbulbs - any of them - are a pita.

Wait until a license plate bulb goes!

I too have an 09 - SRX4

I take my car to Elco - they do the inspection thing too. they tell me my rear brakes need replacing at 38k miles. So you might re-look at yours.

The chrome drivers door handle on mine has been replaced twice for the same reason in the two years I've had it. 3rd ones a charm.

Where is the last remianing Jag dealer?

~Rich

Professor Wizard is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX-4 Sport / TriCoatWhite

Tom - yea... lightbulbs - any of them - are a pita.

Wait until a license plate bulb goes!

I too have an 09 - SRX4

I take my car to Elco - they do the inspection thing too. they tell me my rear brakes need replacing at 38k miles. So you might re-look at yours.

The chrome drivers door handle on mine has been replaced twice for the same reason in the two years I've had it. 3rd ones a charm.

Where is the last remianing Jag dealer?

~Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Wizard View Post
    Where is the last remianing Jag dealer?~Rich
    Moore Jaguar's service department is still operating. I've read where Moore had filed for bankrupacy in Jan sold the Auston Martin franchiase and was shopping around for a buyer for the Jag franscaise, then he pulled the bankrupcy filing and it appears Suntrup could be buying the Jag franchaise.

But over where I live (Belleville IL) there are two great import facilities (ISOM's and DISTLER's) that will work on Jag's and even accept extended warranties. Then when I asked Jack Schmitt Cadillac if they could repair/service our Jag they said yes. What's funny is I called a local Ford dealer (Auffenburg) and they said they service Jag's all the time since most of the innards are Ford based components/designs.

So I have some options for a hign end car like the Jag.

Tom

LXWXHT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Guys,

Have you noticed a differnce in the replacement bulb and the original? I had to dremmel off the side tabs on the lamps for the signal lights so that thay would fit in the OEM socket.

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

LXW- I noticed that too. I just applied a little extra oomph and forced it in. So far so good.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.