Cadillac 2006 SRX funny engine noise
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Cadillac 2006 SRX funny engine noise in Cadillac SRX Forums; Help! Just moved and drove 1700 miles from California to Texas-hot here and I noticed my car almost stalled the ...
    tbarb0714 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 SRX

Cadillac 2006 SRX funny engine noise

Help! Just moved and drove 1700 miles from California to Texas-hot here and I noticed my car almost stalled the other day. I am due for an oil change-but what worries me is that just the other day my engine sounded like it was tapping or rustling if that makes sense. No engine light comes on and the car runs fine and excelerates. I did stop at a no name gas station and filled up recently and the sound seems to have started the next morning. Any ideas??? I usually go to a Cadillac dealership for oil changes but it is so expensive....any of you know of a good chain that can do the same thing for less??? Thanks for your help!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

Re: Cadillac 2006 SRX funny engine noise

V6? How many miles on your 2006?

You had better check your motor oil level RIGHT NOW before driving any further. Pull the dipstick and look to see if you are low, or have a full service gas station do it for you. Check the motor oil level when the engine cold, or when the engine is turned off and the SRX has been sitting for a minute or two. You didn't mention that you checked your motor oil level when the noise started up. When did you check it last, month and mileage? When was the motor oil last changed, month and mileage?

Let us know what you find. The light on the dash is for low oil pressure, NOT a low motor oil condition. You can have adequate oil pressure (no light triggered) and still be dangerously low on motor oil. There is no light to tell you when your motor oil level is low. Just the dipstick.

PJ

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

If you have a V6 you need to check your oil before doing anything.

Many V6's use oil and will run out between oil changes and your engine can fail and not be covered, you need to monitor the oil level monitor. The engine oil level monitor on the V6 is under the hood and has a long almost dipstick shape The car does not know how much oil it has only the pressure, you may be very low but still have pressure.

How much more is a dealer going to charge really?

Do a search for V6 oil useage or timing chains

Quote Originally Posted by PJ1520 View Post
    V6? You had better check your motor oil level RIGHT NOW before driving any further. Pull the dipstick and look to see if you are low, or have a full service gas station do it for you. Check the motor oil level when the engine is turned off and the SRX has been sitting for a minute or two. You didn't mention that you checked your oil level.

Let us know what you find. The light on the dash is for low oil pressure, NOT a low motor oil condition. You can have adequate oil pressure (no light) and still be dangerously low on motor oil. There is no light to tell you when your motor oil level is low. Just the dipstick.

PJ
    You know I stopped to look for spelling and you ninga posted me, man your fast or bored lol

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

I have been away from the forum a lot and felt I was a slug for not contributing.

PJ

Thanks guys!! My car V6 has 54k miles...I get the oil changed every 3 thousand miles and never have had a problem...the internal monitor system says I still have 29% oil life. I did my best to check the dip stick- put it in pulled it out wiped it off....it looked dry! I sure hope that is all it is. I rely heavily on the Onstar reports that come out and warning lights...nothing has shown up. I always go to the Cadillac dealership..last time the only time I went to Jiffy Lube- amd funny thing after that my car seemed to be shifting weird-it bucked a slight wee bit. I attributed that to the cold weather. Now I am wondering if I got a bad oil change. Any other ideas...fuel filter? Sorry. I am a girl-:-)

The car has no idea how much oil you have nor does onstar, you must use the dipstick every time you fill up.

glake89 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

I don't mean to doubt you, but there is an oil level/temperature sensor in the oil pan. However, it does look like your oil would be down to about 1 cup before it would read low. You would think the designers could have done a better job.

There is or you think there is?

As fare as we know the car has a temp and pressure but not level, level can be low but still have pressure.

I have never checked the dipstick - guess that's why people who don't are called dipsticks. :-) I love my car-and hoping that oil will do the trick. I had never done so much highway driving though and maybe that would cause it to run low? When I start it up...it kinda sounds like it wants to stall and then eventually gets going..but there is that sound under the hood and I could hear it when it was just idling in the driveway too. Anyway, oil is on the way and then I will get it in for a complete oil change. I will keep you posted. Thank you so much. Awesome forum!!

I would not even start the car let alone drive it.

You may have already done damage to the engine, like you may need a new one, so maybe you are unaware of how dire this situation could be.

Thrill6 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 11 CTS-V Sedan, 07 Corvette Convertible

The V6's Variable Valve Timing (VVT) uses oil pressure to change the valve timing, which is why it is so critical to maintain a proper oil level. You would think that the engine would have a oil level monitoring system to notify the driver. My Corvette lets me know if the oil is quart low, why can't my Cadillac?

I understand what your saying but it does not so we need to come to grips with the fact they dont tell you and they use oil and you need to check. The fact that it uses oil pressure to play with the valves means nothing really, oil pressure is also used to keep the engine from piling up first and foremost.

Every one of my cars come with an oil level monitoring system, even my 68 Chevelle.

DougC.. is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX

Funny, just the other day my navigation told me my oil level was low. I checked it and sure enough, it needed some.

2004 v8 AWD.

glake89 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

[QUOTE]

There is or you think there is?

As fare as we know the car has a temp and pressure but not level, level can be low but still have pressure.

There is through 06, then apparently dropped. Maybe it didn't work well enough?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.