Cadillac 2006 SRX funny engine noise - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Cadillac 2006 SRX funny engine noise in Cadillac SRX Forums; Hmmm, interesting. Cost cutting I assume, much like the cabin filters in the early GMT-800 stuff then dropped in later ...
    conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Re: Cadillac 2006 SRX funny engine noise

Hmmm, interesting.

Cost cutting I assume, much like the cabin filters in the early GMT-800 stuff then dropped in later years.

tbarb0714 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 SRX

My funny engine noise was indeed the oil. Cross country trip must have done it. Thanks so much for the responses. We filled it up...got some good octane gas in her and no more sounds-thank you so much for making me aware of how to take care of my car. Never would have thought I was low on oil-no oil pressure light, no check engine light and all diagnostics say everything was fine. Car shifts correctly now too. Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

I'm glad the sound went away and it drives OK. But, I hope there wasn't any permanent damage. Check the threads about timing chain symptoms and be on the lookout for that problem. It seems that problem often starts due to driving with low oil level.

G32006SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac SRX V6 AWD

My last oil change I added Bardahl No Smoke-Stop Leak Original Formula to the oil. After 10% of oil life used I show no signs that I burned or lost any oil. I was adding about 2 quarts per oil change previously. I have a V-6 with 72,000 miles. You know what they say about the phsyc factor after a fluid change everything sounds and runs better. Well the car feels more poweful and runs smoother. In my opinion...for now anyways....

Sweet, mechanic in a can to the rescue.

Hey if it works then that is awesome, keep up the updates!

carguy2006 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 Seville & 2 Corvettes 69 & 07

Add oil until the level is midway on the oil level indication part of the dipstick before you drive anywhere. As said above running the V6 VVT engine low on oil will screw it up.

The fact the engine requires a full synthetic oil is the reason an oil change is expensive. Most oil changers charge quite a bit more for Mobil 1!

Bobanna is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 srx V-6, 2002 ESC convertible

WalMart continues to be my cheapest source for Mobil1 (I add a quart or so frequently to my '06 V6). I've become convinced that Sea Foam and Marvel Mystery Oil
    are worthwhile addatives, so I'm looking forward to hearing how Bardhal works out as well, Hope everyone keeps up with these marvelous posts; I love these forums.

Blessings.

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

I still joke that my 3.6 SRX was my 2-cycle Cadillac. I kept bottles of Mobil 1 on my workbench. The only engine of mine that needs the same level of oil monitoring is the 1985 Kohler in my John Deere tractor.

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

Valve timing could be off slightly due to poor quality gasoline. With rapid changes in temperature, there is also possibility of moisture in the tank, which can make the engine run rough. You could try adding gas cleaner/drying agent or fill up at another station and see if the problem goes away.

How is it that poor fuel can change valve timing?

This is an out of oil issue.

Cadill is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): srx

thank you, thank you, thank you, for your reply. My srx had the same symptoms as above, with 60% useful life showing on the dash. I decided to take the advice you gave just in case and was shocked to find a bone dry dip stick. don't know where the oil went? Hopefully I changed the oil before it's too late.
    again thank you.

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadill View Post
    thank you, thank you, thank you, for your reply. My srx had the same symptoms as above, with 60% useful life showing on the dash. I decided to take the advice you gave just in case and was shocked to find a bone dry dip stick. don't know where the oil went? Hopefully I changed the oil before it's too late.
    again thank you.
    Get use to adding and keeping a gallon of oil in your truck at all times. I check it every other day just cause I absolutely do not trust this engine.

Sheepish is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD

Where is the oil going? Are the spark plugs really gooped up when they're changed? Is it leaking somewhere else?

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepish View Post
    Where is the oil going? Are the spark plugs really gooped up when they're changed? Is it leaking somewhere else?
    Good place to look as the spark plug tube seals most of the time Dry out crack and leak but I'm not sure this his total issue as he is losing a good bit of oil and only so much will be in that tube.think he has other issues.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.