Cadillac Owners Forum banner

SRX V8 AWD rarity : Key figures

46K views 119 replies 41 participants last post by  LisaCatera 
#1 · (Edited)
As many of you are seeking 2007+ V8 SRX, I though you might be interested in production key figures... (compiled from Compnine queries, so it's probably not 100% accurate but realistic enough)
2007+ V8 are rare : 12.5% of total 2007-2009 production (6199 out of 49495)
2007+ V8+AWD are more rare : 9.0% of total 2007-2009 production (4435)
V8+AWD+Sport Package are very rare : 1.1% of total 2007-2009 production (542) !
V8+AWD+3rd+Sport Package SRX are REALLY RARE : 0.6% of total 2007-2009 production (303) ! (Got one of them, probably the only one with Euro specs :cool:)
And if you're looking for a specific color combo (Crystal Red/black leather for example, roughly 2.5% of total production), it leads to less than 1 chance over 6000 : play lottery !
After that, if you're lucky enough to find one, don't let it go !
Good luck !

See less See more
#2 ·
I had no idea my 07 awd V8 sports package was so rare. When I bought it 2 years ago I did notice a lot more V6 ones for sale, I thought that was because they were so much trouble people were selling them. When I see all the complaints about timing chains,oil consumpsion and poor gas milage I am thankful for a good old V8.
There were only 180 of my car and model year built, seems very rare but if you add the red colour it would be even less.
Thanks for the graphs
Rich

#5 ·
Sport Package: includes Driver’s Package, door sill plate cover, Sport grille, dual chrome exhaust tips, front and rear Sport fascias, chrome luggage rack,
front P235/60R18 and rear P255/55R18 Michelin V-rated all-season blackwall tires and 18-inch ultra-bright machined finish cast-aluminum wheels
or
20-inch polished-aluminum wheels and P255/50R20 RS tires

#11 ·
allroad.........thank you for taking the time posting this info. for the rest of us.

If you do the math (total production numbers minus V8), the sheer numbers of V6s out there puts some perspective to the "V6 issues" we read about here.

Might favorably change a lot of minds about a V6's dependability. Arguably, there are 10 V6s out there for every V8 Northstar, why so many have commented (perhaps incorrectly) that judging from the comments and threads on this forum, the V6 is a problematic engine. It isn't.

PJ

#12 ·
So true.

The V6 gets a bum deal, but if you look at the CTS, Enclave,Traverse,Acadia,Outlook etc... the V6 has a problem for sure but agreed for the sheer numbers of them out there the good ones are far more than the bad ones.

I wanted a V8 because of the issues but also because I wanted a loaded model and the V8 is often more optioned than the V6, when a person says this car is "loaded" it often means it have A/C and power windows well the cars I look at all going to be "loaded" and I really think that term is used incorrectly.

#14 ·
hey conehead are you trying to talk yourself into the V6 or someone else after you bough the N* (Aluminum Block)? The complaints on the V6 would suggest that there are potential problems. After looking at the "known problems" links, I am not so sure that a V6 is the right option for everyone. It does however surprise me that someone who doesn't know you can give you advice.

#15 · (Edited)
Ya I'm confused by your post, I think you are being rude but not sure and it's late. Get my username right as well please.

I wanted the V8 because I wanted the V8, I like the power and no issues with oil use is just a bonus. Buying the V8 also made shopping easier as the V8's come with more options and a greater chance of a fully loaded model.

What I was saying about the V6 is if you look at the amount made vs the amount that have problems I think owning the V6 is just as safe as owning a V8, maybe if more V8's were sold some issues would come to light about them. If the V6 numbers from the CTS, SRX, Enclave, Traverse, Outlook, Acadia and whatever else used the motor were added up I wonder what the failure rate would be, I have no idea and don't really care but of all the drivers who never have one problem you will never hear about it but the ones that do have problems they post about it unless of course they are not on a forum but you get the point. Some of the V6 blame must also be on the owners who think that they bought some magic car that will never fail because it is a Cadillac, well the engine doen not know this, and it is a machine first off that needs to be checked, it has a dipstick for a reason and waiting for a light is not excuse it is just foolish.

Now before all the V6 guys get all mad, yes it sucks if it uses oil and lots of it but running out still needs to fall a bit on the owner.

Now if the V6 is right or not for people is for the person to decide, it will pull the same, it makes decent power and will deliver good economy (if working right). The V8 offers more power, more fuel usage, a cool badge and is more awesome IMO.

My other cars are turbo 4's so I have no ill feelings to a smaller engine but I just wanted top of the line and the V8 is that.

#16 ·
Dr conehead. The V6 does not pull the same and a quart every 1,000 miles is excessive by anyone who spends this much on this type of car. Since there are so many V6 engines out there one would expect GM to correct the problem voluntarily.
Here in California we have a Lemon Law. The Auto manufacturer has 3 attempts to correct the problem while it is under warranty if it is not corrected it is deemed a lemon. I filed a suit with FORD over their 6.0 Diesel and won. They bought my truck back after 38K miles and I had to pay mileage for the 10K miles before the Truck developed the problem.
While this is a much different problem it still has the same results in the end.......an unhappy customer. I would think that having to add oil before the 3K miles is not acceptable. Hell my '96 Tahoe with the 350 VORTEC does this and it has 215K miles on it.
Just a simple man's thoughts.

#17 ·
You got it wrong again.

I am not going to waste more time on you sir.

Blah blah my car should not use oil, blah blah my 50 year old car does not use oil and my new car should not, ya but it does.

Why do people think that Cadillac engines are made in some special magic factory that makes them perfect, they are not, they are just machines. Yes the oil usage is crazy but not all of them do it.

The owners manual states base will tow #2000 and V92 will tow #4250 with no mention of V8 or V6 so as far as I can tell both will pull the same amount.

Keep your old truck and rock on, I'm out, good luck finding your SRX.

#18 ·
then why is the fix Rings and Valve Guides?
I originally came to this forum to get advice about what to pay attention to prior to purchasing an SRX. After looking at the build numbers I can see that what I want will be very hard to find locally and I am not interested in a car from areas where they salt the roads. The car has some very interesting "known problems" and I am not so sure that it is worth the hassle.
For those that were helpful I am thankful.

#19 ·
Thanks for posting the stats. My "07 CPO (blk/blk) was a factory "brass hat" with every option except mag suspension and wood steering wheel. Also no folding mirrors, but I think that was a Europe-only option. V8 gets lousy mileage around town, exacerbated by a small fuel tank and pessimistic fuel gauge, but uses no oil between 7-8 k oil changes! Should I be worried?:hmm:

#25 · (Edited)
The published EPA 13 city and 20 highway fuel mileage figures for the 2007 SRX (V8, AWD) were and are valid for real world driving. The automotive magazine's road test comparisons at the time for mileage in the SRX' size and market segment placed its "as tested" mileage figures in the middle of the pack. The 20 gallon gas tank was tops in it's market segment as well.

Both the EPA numbers can be beaten depending on your driving habits and the car's condition. On my most recent road trip of 2,500 miles in April, I got two tanks of pure highway driving on cruise at or within (above) 5 mph of the posted limits at an average of 22.7mpg (420 miles on one and 440 on another). Then I hit severe storms and stiff headwinds, but the overall 2,500 mile average still came in at 21.7mpg. This is the second trip of 2,500 miles or above that I have gotten this kind of fuel mileage. City? 14mpg with a light foot and conservative driving habits.

I am not trying to say that all GenI Northstars are capable of the same fuel mileage. What I am saying is that the V8 GenI SRX' fuel mileage is more than respectable for what it brings to the table competitively feature-wise, capacity-wise (cargo and passengers), weight-wise (4,450 lbs.), and towing-wise (4,000 lbs.).

And guess which crossover in it's market segment had the quickest 0-60 times and top end? The N* SRX. The road test mags varied in their test results, but 6.4-7.4 seconds was the range for 0-60mph. Either Road and Track or Car & Driver posted a 144mph top speed for the N* at the end of their long term test!

A hoot and a pleasure to drive.

PJ

#20 · (Edited)
I had a tough time finding my loaded SRX. Even back in 2005 when V8's were more plentiful the ones with everything (V8, AWD, 3rd, big wheels, ultraview, RSE, MRC, xenon, wood etc.) were virtually nonexistant. I think I found 2 in the thousands I came across. The only thing mine didn't have was Ultraview Plus but there may not have been one of those made!

Update: if compnine is to be believed, there may not have been any SRXs better equipped than mine in 2005:

There are 5 2005 SRX V8 4 DR vehicles (0.064%) matching your exact options list. There are 5 (0.064%) with at least as many options.

The interpretation depends whether the exact matches are also included in the number with at least as many options. Anyone know?

#21 ·
Keep in mind as well that you could not get some options as well, like for my 09 MRC is not an option with AWD and big wheels so I am not missing it as I could not have got it, and the fact I did not want it really either as cost of ownership would only go up.

The ultraview plus is a rare one for sure, from what I have read it is just a headliner so when someone does the conversion I will do it to mine :)

Keep in mind my rare V8 brothers you can now get an ECU upgrade that claims 10% HP gain and 15-20% economy gain, mine is getting done in July and I will of course report findings.

#22 ·
Yeah, I am not sure that you could get Ultraview Plus when you got all the other big packages because they already came with the regular Ultraview. Maybe the plus required ordering the regular Ultraview first, I was never clear on that. Anyway, the "Plus" part is a headliner, but it also has a power sunshade so there are motors, cables etc. Not an easy upgrade I am sure.

Do keep us posted on the ECU upgrade. There were some earlier ECU "upgrades" that killed engine power to try to reduce wear and tear on the drivetrain and improve lash complaints. Those that got it generally hated it so beware.

#28 · (Edited)
prarie.....I think you are a what is commonly known as a forum troll, with no purpose other than to stir up the masses.

You are making little sense. You cannot be satisfied. From what you write, it is apparent that you have not read up fully on the very things you complain about with the SRX. The level of your dislike for the SRX is amazing for a person that does not even own one and never has.

Your mileage comment is yet another disparaging observation. You didn't need to drive an SRX to note you were unimpressed with the mileage. The EPA numbers and the posted experiences of the forum members are all you needed to know. Even the fact that the car magazines placed the "as observed" SRX fuel mileage in the middle of the crossover pack in the SRX market segment didn't stop you. I suppose since the Caddy wasn't at the top of the stack disturbed you.

Please do us all a favor and redirect your vehicle search to another make and model of car. Then you can start up your assault on that vehicle in another forum and insult those owners as you have me and, I suspect, others.

PJ

#30 · (Edited)

Within 100 miles of my Boston area zip code, there are 3 First Generation V8 AWD SRXs with UltraView, DVD/NAV/Surround, 3rd row seating, and 27,000-40,000 miles, in the $29K-$32K price range (dealer asking price). 2008s I think. One of them has a little bit of snow in the lot pictures, so it has been sitting there for a few months.......a motivated dealer? My info, the mileage, and the prices are off the top of my memory, but close enough for anyone interested on looking at them on the net.

PJ.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.