2005 Cadillac SRX will not start consistently
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, 2005 Cadillac SRX will not start consistently in Cadillac SRX Forums; For the last month, my SRX will not start everytime when I turn the key. All the electrical works fine ...
    bembol is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac SRX V8

2005 Cadillac SRX will not start consistently

For the last month, my SRX will not start everytime when I turn the key. All the electrical works fine (lights, radio, windows, etc.) but there wont be a spark or anything. After 20 or 30 minutes of trying, the car will fire up and run perfectly fine.

At first, I thought it was the tumbler/ignition housing because I would jiggle the key in there and eventually it would start. Now that doesn't seem to work, so I started wiggling wires connected to the ignition/tumbler and that would work for awhile. And sometimes I would adjust the shifter as far into park as I could and sometimes I think that helped. I now do a combination of all these things, and it has become a ritual to get the car started.

After looking on the internet and these forums, I decided to check the fuses under the hood and had the battery tested and cleaned the connections to the battery. It is a perfectly fine battery and the fuses looked fine. However, I do not know how to tell if the bigger square fuses are good or not. After doing this a new problem occured:

When I put the battery back in, I tried to start the car thinking I reset the system. Nothing happened. Went through the ritual and after 2 attempts and a minute later, it fired up. Now I have a reading saying service anti theft system. Also, the gas is just over half tank and it is saying "low Range". Also, I forgot to mention that I suspected the Fuel pump, and so I actually stepped on the gas as I started it this time.

So what do you guys think? Am I looking at thousands of dollars to repair or can I do it myself?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Thrill6 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 11 CTS-V Sedan, 07 Corvette Convertible

Re: 2005 Cadillac SRX will not start consistently

My first thought was fuel pump but you need to check for codes as most issues (but not all) with the pump will throw a code. Unless you are very mechanically inclined and have service manual, you should probably take it in for service.

jcobz28 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Lot's of variables here. I would start with the basics by confirming fuel pressure at the rail and ignition spark. If you don't have those tools, take it to the mechanic. I would recommend that you have the Factory Service Manual as well. The FSM has a table with a systematic approach for diagnosing a no-start condition.

n7don_srx is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac '07 SRX-V6 RWD, '03 Envoy, '95 S10 pu

Some of your symptoms described are similar to what happens when the ignition switch is failing on the Trailblazer/Envoy. The part is priced less than $30 on rockauto's site however there's some precautions on disabling the air bag system.
    It's something you'd have to decide if it's a DIY project within your scope.
    Maybe others on the forum can comment if they have changed the switch and what were the symptoms.

bembol is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac SRX V8

Thanks for the info guys. I actually just left the Cadillac dealership where they diagnosed it as the starter is faulty. No codes showed up. I asked if the ECM needed reprogramming and they said no. They also said that if it was the ignition switch I wouldn't be getting of my lights or electrical to turn on. As for the fuel pump, they said you can hear it trying to kick in so it isn't that. They said there is a current going from the ignition to the relay to the solenoid and all the way to the starter, but the starter is just not kicking in. I asked if it could be the wiring and they said no because there is a pulse all the way to the starter.

Keep your fingers crossed for me. I'm praying that this $700 repair fixes the problem. I'll keep you posted.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

bembol, it is good to hear that your dealership was able to pinpoint the issue for you. Hopefully this is what fixes it for you and thank you for keeping us all up to date on your experience with the dealership. Hopefully I wont have to setp in but just in case I am here to help.

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

Professor Wizard is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX-4 Sport / TriCoatWhite

Wow...

$700 to replace a starter!

a tiny electric motor attached to the bottom of the engine.

These things are expensive.

Good luck man - - hope that resolves all your issues.

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

I had starting problems when I had bad cats (known problem for the 1st gen SRX). After having them replaced them it was solved.

Klgrayson is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac Srx,V8 AWD

Bembol could you keep me posted,my 2004 Srx seems to be having the same issues,when it won't start I don't get a click you cannot jump start it. All the lights come on, but cannot get it to turn over. Took it to a Cadillac dealership they could not find the problem,there were no codes on the computer. They would only assume that it might be the starter. Said all the indications point that way. I can be reached at klgrayson61@sbcglobal.net

nascarnation is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX V6 AWD

FWIW a Remy reman starter is 126 bucks + 70 core charge on Rockauto.

yojn88 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX

Bembol, please let me know the update. My truck does the same no starting, we use different methods also to get it started like locking and unlocking the doors along with opening the door a couple of times, then letting it sit for about 2-15 minutes then it startes up like nothing is wrong. Cadillac said they can't find the problem no codes come up we are just at a lost. There has been a few time where we thought we would have to call a tow truck it didn't start on 3 occassions for 30-45 minutes.

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

This is disappointing. Folks start threads, ask for help, and then don't have the courtesy to post the outcome, leaving everyone hanging.

PJ

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

Well, he did say they were replacing the starter. I suspect that rather than a bad starter it is just as likely weak ground contact where the starter bolts to the engine. But since you have to remove the intake manifold etc. to get to the starter, at that point you might as well spend the bucks and put in a new starter.

davlong is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS DI AWD, 04 SRX V-6, AWD

Had a no crank problem when hot on 04 v-6. Would crank ok after cooling off. Bought new starter off e-bay ($70) and replaced. Over two years of operating without any additional problem. Solenoid would not kick in when hot.

rhandee is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 srx

Hi guys Im having similiar problem I hear a clicking sound all electri turns on but it doesnt start I had a mechanic replace starter to no avail I keep hearing somehting about selenoid... I dont want to spend money on process of elimination I might just take to dealer if any1 know what it can be let me know... I promis I would return with an answer if I take to dealer

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.