DIY transfercase chain replacement - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, DIY transfercase chain replacement in Cadillac SRX Forums; The repair went great. Taking the exhaust completly out of the way helped me man handled the transfer case out ...
    fgamulo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX

Re: DIY transfercase chain replacement

The repair went great. Taking the exhaust completly out of the way helped me man handled the transfer case out and then back in easly with lining up the 2 alignment pins. Replaced the 2 gears and chain to make sure I do not have to go there again. Cleanup everything reassemble. Made sure the gasket surface was spotless and clean from oils and stuff, then apply the Black Silicone Gasket on both of the surface and let half way setup, then marry them together and hand tightem the screws back in before making them all snug. Putting back everything was easier than removal process. I was confident of the repair, so I left my wife take off with the car. She was smiling from ear to ear. Won a few points with her. Save plenty of money. Next repair is the MRC shocks..all of them. pricey stuff no after market , looks like I have to order from GM online. Thanks for posts, really help me make the decision to takle the ob.

jgodfrey82 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 SRX NorthStar - just purchased, and loving it!

Hi Everyone, Happy Friday.

Has anyone heard of this happening on the 07 SRX NorthStar V8? I have had mine about 14 months, just hit 56K and haven't had much of any issues in the 20K i've put on her.

All of the sudden I am hearing and feel a loud popping noise when accelerating or sometimes while turning at lower speeds. At first I thought it was suspension and coming from the drivers side tire area, like CV or something, but now after searching I feel like it could be the transfer case chain as others describe. I am by no means a mechanic.

I am going to try and get to the dealership tomorrow morning, but I am not sure how busy they will be on a Saturday. Any comments would be appreciated.

pilot188 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

This transfer case is a masterpiece of engineering from Cadillac
    Never seen such a scrap.
    replaced the chain a 120.000 KM and now at 193.00KM I hear this popping sound again. Great work, Cadillac, if the next generation is also build with such a knowledge this car will be definitely my last cadillac
    Cadillac will have a hugh amount of money but is not willing to deliver the quality.
    I'm not any more willing to spend a bunch of money
    GM Engineers, go back to school or better take a visit in a another company and learn how engineering really will done
    sorry, but for my frustration.. but enough is enough

Hi had befor a BMW with the double on the odometer and have had not such a trouble
    Next car will be a X5 or X6

JD2004 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Base 2007 Escalade EXT, 04 Cadillac SRX V8

Pilot, I feel sorry for you. I cross my fingers and hope that I wont have to replace the chain AGAIN. Anyone know if there are similar issues with transmission and transfercase (or drivetrain general) on the 07 and up AWD Escalades?

Quote Originally Posted by pilot188 View Post
    Never seen such a scrap.
    replaced the chain a 120.000 KM and now at 193.00KM I hear this popping sound again. Great work, Cadillac, if the next generation is also build with such a knowledge this car will be definitely my last cadillac
    Cadillac will have a hugh amount of money but is not willing to deliver the quality.
    GM Engineers, go back to school or better take a visit in a another company and learn how engineering really will done

Hi had befor a BMW with the double on the odometer and have had not such a trouble
    BMW used the very same transfercase in it's 04 and up X5 models. Less powerfull engines makes the transfercase last longer in the X5

Quote Originally Posted by pilot188 View Post
    Never seen such a scrap.

BMW used the very same transfercase in it's 04 and up X5 models. Less powerfull engines makes the transfercase last longer in the X5

pilot188 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I read that somewhere, but later model must have another transfer case
    My former BMW was with a manual gearbox and rear driven. No trouble within four years and 460.000 KM, only maintanance, two bearing wheels, four ignition coils and one cooler
    Thats it. This is what I mean with quality. Maybe other have other experiance.
    I let change the transfer case chain last february and cost be about 1000€. Another 1000€ for the same thing within one year will make this car too expensive.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Jgodfrey, how did your dealership visit go? Please email me if you would ever like me to contact the dealer on your behalf or check my resources for open recalls, etc., that may be on your SRX. My email is Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

You have a bigger problem and this is not normal nor is it the fault of your Cadillac.

Who is doing the work for you and what is the quality of the parts they are using, do they just change the chain or bearings as well?

jgodfrey82 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 SRX NorthStar - just purchased, and loving it!
    Thank you for responding Katie. My dealership took really good care of me so far. I showed up first thing on Saturday AM, and instead of making me wait, they did some basic diag right on the spot, with who I was told was the best tech on staff, then they put me in a brand new CTS and told me I would hear from them Monday afternoon. Right on schedule I was called and they indicated it was nothing to do with the transfer chain, and that my right front engine mount needed replacement, also finding a lug nut bolt broken on the same side. Since I just ran out of drive terrain warranty in July, they also discounted those 2 repairs.

Hopefully I won't bring it home and then have more issues... I was told I am due for transmission, power steering, rear diff, colant, and upper and lower intake service/fluid flushes., and that by the end of the year I should also plan on brakes as well.

Hopefully the 2 repairs is all I need for now, because otherwise I won't be able to afford all of these items right now.

I'll let you know if I need help.

Now, 70.000 highway-miles later, the chain has to be changed. AGAIN, that is, for the second time!

Btw, I know tires have been discussed a lot in here. Thought I'd share my experience. Just went back to OEM michelin pilots from Conti crosscontact UHPs. Noticed a vast increase in noise up to 60mph. Somewhat more comfortable ride though, but that might be because the old tires were worn down. Will give the continentals 9/10 because of rough ride when cold, and the michelins 6/10 out of ten because of the very high noise level at certain speeds. And, the "all-season" michelins are useless in snow/ice. talking from past experience in the rockies.

Just a thought, can the weak transfercase be the real reason for Cadillac's recall and reprogramming of the ECM that made a lot of SRXs slower from 0-60? Pilot188's car was bought overseas, hence might not have experienced the ECM reprogramming that makes the engine weaker, thus need a new chain every year....

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

You should not need a new chain everyyear, you have other issues.

But yes the ECM flash was to reduce driveline lash, I would call that Tcase issue.

BEARBAIT1973 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX V8 AWD

Replaced chain and gears last week on 2004 SRX. Would not have done it if not for this site. Wasn't bad at all! 2 things tho,you should support rear of trans. before removing transfer case support and the worst part were the studs holding exhaust to cat. convs. I cut them with a sawzall and soaked them with pen. oil. I then drove them out with a hammer and punch and replaced them with a bolt,washer and nut(1/4-20) No problem removing case or splitting it apart. There is a bolt recessed in the middle of the case which i overlooked at first. Not bad at all. By the way if someone needs the 2 gears which I really didn't need contact me and I can give you a good deal on them!!!

stumpfc22 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

What is the transfer case fluid capacity on a 2004 cadillac srx v8 awd?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.