DIY transfercase chain replacement - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, DIY transfercase chain replacement in Cadillac SRX Forums; .......
    03zx6r is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '05 srx v8 awd

Re: DIY transfercase chain replacement

Attached Images

Excellent writeup, JD. Thanks for sharing the knowledge! I replaced our case chain two weeks ago and the car's running great! Wish I'd have done it earlier. My wife was nervous before I started, so I called the local GM dealership to discuss this problem. They informed no recall and won't give us a break. Further, they do no transfer case repair in their shop but only replace the entire case at car owner's expense. Their ignorance and this write-up made my decision final. We still have the tailpipes off so it's loud to run right now, but 4 exhaust bolts broke off upon removal so I'm still waiting on that order.

Here's some pictures to help anyone else. I referred to them a couple times as well as a service manaul I bought online with diags while putting our case back in the car. I'd have to agree the hardest parts for me were getting the case free from the transmission as well as splitting the case which was also tricky. It took me a little longer doing the whole project because I didn't have access to a lift and worked in only 2 feet of clearance (2 floor jacks and large oak logs to help support heavy front end). Estimation of 6 hours for removal, 3 hrs splitting case/new chain/gasket seating scrub, and 3 hrs mounting back in the SRX. I spent one Saturday removing everything. Split the case the following day then ordered the chain from Cobra. It took a week to arrive as they had it on back order.

Feel free to ask any questions.. The picture link below points to snapfish so you may have to open a free account to view (only takes a minute). I also have a video clip of the northstar with exhaust pipes dropped if anyone wants to hear it. Nice sound but ear piercing to drive. Good luck!

http://www1.snapfish.com/snapfish/sh...=SYE/otsi=SANR

Oh yeah, in mine as well.. sprockets looked brand new and we have 108k miles.
    Attached Images
    2005srx and 2005srx like this.

HitUpOlas is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS-V and SRX

Great Pics. I'm going to tackle this on Sunday, or atleast start it. Thanks for the DIY and photos. How does the chain pull off? Do you just pull up on the sprockets and they slide right up?

350winder is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX AWD V8

Hi!, yes just pull up sprokets.

Best of luck. Once the case is split, it becomes clear how easy everything is.

350winder is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX AWD V8

Good job boys but, it's a lack of testing from Borg Warner...

jcobz28 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I have a brand new chain I am looking to get rid of if anyone is looking to do this repair themselves. I'll sell it for $149 shipped! A price that can't be beat.

I bought the chain from Cobra Transmissions (ebay) about a year ago to do the rebuild myself as well. But once I got the transfer case out and split in half, I chickened out and just took the transfer case to a transmission shop and had it fully rebuilt with new seals, bearings, and chain (sold to me as a kit, thus my having this chain leftover to sell).

Good luck with the rebuilds guys!

ksvista is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 SRX

Is the chain still available?

thanks,

2005srx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 srx

Very nice write up!! I'll be using it this week end.
    Just one Question..I'm not really that skilled in awd or even 4x4..
    when u say "After they all are removed, CAREFULLY take the two parts of the housing apart. If one part of the housing is removed vertically, all the gears can fall out, and you wont know which order to put them in. So, take it apart horisontally"
    do you mean the same way it is positioned installed??

Thanks!!
    I'm a caddy newb..
    1981 El camino..
    2005 srx v8 awd aka head ach!!

----------

im interested in the chain i was gonna order today!!

JD2004 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Base 2007 Escalade EXT, 04 Cadillac SRX V8

Yes, the same way it is positioned installed.

----------

About step three in the write-up. Make sure to put a jack or something under the transmission pan to support it when the suppportplate/assembly is released/removed. Othervice, the transmission will only be supprted by the engine-mounts which is not good.

nascarnation is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX V6 AWD

Excellent work and great writeups. Thanks guys.

As an old transmission guy, I can say based on the sludging inside the case that these t-cases are running pretty hot.
    You need 250F (usually more) to cook the Dexron enough to start leaving deposits like that. Of course the oxidation reduces the lubricating properties of the fluid too.

I'd prescribe a fill of synthetic Dexron (Allison TES-295), Amsoil, Mobil 1, etc. Based on these pics, I'm definitely doing a fluid change on my 50,000 mile car.

fgamulo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX

Thanks for this post. I too feel and hear a popping noise when accelerating from dead stop. Have to feather the pedal to not feel and hear it. Read all stuff on internet and came to conclude it would be the transfer case chain. I bought the chain and the 2 gears from Cobra Transmission in Florida, I am in California. Who would know years later that I will be looking at your writeup to help me repair our 2004 SRX V8 Northstar. JD2004 and 03zx6r did a good thing here and I appreciate you sharing. I am going on this venture as well today, I got 3 days to make this happen. Hopefully it doesn't take me more than 2 days.

JD2004 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Base 2007 Escalade EXT, 04 Cadillac SRX V8

Fgamulo, thanks and good luck with the repair!

94 White RT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS, SRX

Hello,

I am trying to tackle this job, but the one gear will not slideup? any thoughts. The planetary gear comes right out, but the other one wont budge. Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.