Hatch won't open
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Hatch won't open in Cadillac SRX Forums; The back hatch in my 2004 SRX is locked tight. You can hear the unlatching mechanism click, and the other ...
    Old_Soldier is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX

Hatch won't open

The back hatch in my 2004 SRX is locked tight.

You can hear the unlatching mechanism click, and the other doors lock and unlock but pulling on the lever in the back just gives you shoulder problems.

My dealer says they have not heard/seen this problem.

Any ideas on how to DIY to get it open - without damage?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

skwerlabusr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX

Re: Hatch won't open

The same thing happened to me and I had no hatch for months! I got mine open by climbing into the trunk through the second row seats. Pulling a little bit off the trim cover and reaching in and pushing the latch over to the left. There is a little black button that also slides up and down (towards the sky and ground). One position is locked and one is unlocked just try each one. You will know when it opens up. After it opens up go to the back of the car, completely take off the panel, and double check the cables (kind of like on a bicycle brake). Make sure you don't close it without making sure the handle and latching works! These pictures should help. I can explain what's going on if you need me to.

compfan03 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I had the same problem. In my case, my rear window glass was crashed a year ago. The rear window was replace, but somehow one little piece of glass remained in the back and finally worked its way into the lock. The dealer had to take the entire tailgate apart and order a new piece. It took about a week but is now working just fine.

Q-Ball is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac SRX 4 Sport V8

I was told mine was some electrical module. First thing I noticed was wrong was the way the hatch closed. It looked as if it would fall off track a few time as it was closing on its own with the power lift gate.

Took it to the dealer and said they ordered a new module. Said new module was defective. Got the SRX back and they ordered another one. It's been at the dealership for over a week now. They said the 2nd one was defective too. So they ordered the 3rd one. I havent heard anything since Monday.

I dont know how they got my hatch open, probably the same way as mentioned above. But they had to check all my wiring and now have GM Engineers working on it. Basically they have to do what the engineers say and report back. Than the engineers tells thems what to do next.

I was told in some cases, it took 4 modules to respond to the system. In the mean time, I've been driving their loaner of a 2010 CTS. It's alright, but I prefer my SRX. I'm still waiting to get it back to put my weather techs in, bug deflector, and mud flaps.

Many thanks to skwerlabusr for his detailed diagrams on the fix for this problem. He went the full measure.

Unfortunately, I had to go to the dealer and it cost approx $280 to have them fix it.

The cable had come loose and did not have enough tension to release the latch.

Infrared in Idaho is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 SRX V6 AWD

Thank you SKWERLABUSR. You are a life saver! Saved me from going to the dealer, who probably wouldn't have know how to fix my hatch in the first place. Many thanks!!!

skwerlabusr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX

No problem! I'm glad it helped someone!
    Quote Originally Posted by Infrared in Idaho View Post
    Thank you SKWERLABUSR. You are a life saver! Saved me from going to the dealer, who probably wouldn't have know how to fix my hatch in the first place. Many thanks!!!

Bigg Jim is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 SRX

I just had the same issues this weekend while on a family trip and could not load or unload using the lift gate all 5 days UGH !!! I have a 2005 SRX, with out the power lift function. Looks like from reading the history on these threads, it could be a cable, module, or fuse Issue. I assume the fuse is the best place for a DIYer to start, but then what crawl through, pull off some trim and try to manually open so i can check the cable inside the lift gate ? How come this stuff all happens just as the warrantee runs out !!

flopyle is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 SRX

Hello

I just had this problem, when we were changing the license plate bulbs.... We removed the entire panel to lifthgate etc. Replaced bulbs, put panel back on, closed the liftgate without checking it worked, closed and now, will not open. Have hit the key FOB lock, unlock and definitely is working, apparently we either disconnected something or pinched a cable. Is there some hidden screw somewhere that will allow manual unlock.. Called the dealer, they want $200.00 to look at it, on a budget this DIY everything we can....

Do you have a diagram or suggestions..... this has not been my year for life, cars, people what a mess..

Any suggestions, guidance, jokes would be GREATLY appreciated at this point..

Thank you

FP

It is a shame that the photos/diagrams are no longer available.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.