Cadillac Owners Forum banner

oil filter cap overtightened

26K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  conedoctor 
#1 ·
hi , I was trying to change the motor oil and filter and I couldnt open the oil filter cap , my car is 2006 srx and the oil filter housing is aluminum and I am afraid to damage the part (oil filter cap), does anyone know how to loosen it, and what direction does it open, the cap has stamped on top "25 N" and an arrow showing clockwise direction

thanks for any pointers you can help me with

#2 ·
The oil filter housing is conventional right-hand thread, meaning ccw to loosen.
I believe the nut is 24mm but a 15/16 socket fits snugly. Don't use a cresant wrench.
The 25N is actually 25N-m and I believe is the recommended torque when reinstalling the filter housing. 25 newton-meters is approx 18 lb-ft torque.
I use a socket with an extension. To loosen often takes an initial shock by firmly hitting the handle

#3 ·
thanks for the help, Since its my first time changing the oil after dealer services, and having the cap overtightened at the dealerchip , I just to make sure I was unscrewing it in the right direction, being an aluminum part and all, anyways going to give it a try, thanks again

:)

#4 ·
I suspect you already drained the motor oil/changed the filter and your SRX must be refilled, short of having it flatbedded back to the dealer who seemingly overtorqued the filler cap somehow or misthreaded it during the last oil change. The likely culprit is the last person to add a quart or change the oil. The filler cap could have been overtorqued and'or misthreaded by the last person to put motor oil in there.

Can you determine who that is and let them resolve it? If you touch it the problem and potential stripped threads becomes yours. Risk versus opportunity or practicality. Your choice.

#6 ·
Sorry.....thought he said oil "filler" cap, not filter.

We old guys used to run into this overtightened oil filter problem all the time. The rubber filter sealing ring was supposed to be lubricated with a couple of drops of fresh motor oil using one's index finger, then be snugged BY HAND, then tightened just a tad more with an oil filter noose-type slip wrench.

Mechanics would overtighten the filters so badly the only way to get them off yourself was to drive a very long screwdriver clean through the filter housing and using brute force and both arms to break them loose. Some mechanics had oil filter wrenches with a very long handle and could get the leverage with those.

In this situation I can't recall how much room there is to operate in there....maybe not a practical solution.

I might be inclined to tell the guy who changed the filter last to make a house call and take off what he overtightened on beyond the 18 pounds.....and I am just the disgruntled type to do so. Or alternatively suggest he flatbed the SRX back to his place to do it since he was the culprit, last guy to have touched it. His choice. Then stripping the aluminum threading for the filter would be HIS worry.

Sometimes the compliance of the offending mechanic comes at about 7:45AM on a busy Monday morning with a bunch of (his) other customers standing around taking in your story and the dilemma he has placed you in.

#7 ·
My experience is that you can lube the threads and seal ring, torque it to 18 lb ft, and after 7500 miles or so it still takes two men and a boy to get it loose.
I think it's because there is a huge amount of thread area in engagement compared to a bolt or fitting.

For those who aren't familiar, if something goes really bad (ie buggered up threads on the female part) that's not the engine block, it's a bolt on adapter that looks like it can be replaced.

#9 ·
People think the filter cap holds the engine together. You only need tighten it enough to keep it from coming loose.
That big o ring on the cap keeps it from leaking.
(this is a metal can with an insert for those following along)
Every one I get is too tight.
I actually know of someone who pulled and it broke loose, he hit his elbow on the fender sheet metal and severed the nerve conduit in his elbow and now has permanent nerve damage.
Yikes!

Be careful!

#14 ·
Probably get shot down for this, but I've been changing my oil on all of my vehicles for over fifty years and have yet to use a wrench of ANY kind to tighten the filter. I use chassis lube on the gasket and tighten the filters by hand. I have yet to have a leaker and yet, still have to use a filter wrench or a pair of water pump pliers to loosen them.

#17 ·
same deal here first oil change on 2008 cts oil filter housing cap it tight as hell. Already broke 2 3/8 extension trying to break it loose. At this point i am afraid of breaking the the nut of the canister any ideas? Also whould it be a bad idea to used impack wrench?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.