V6 Oil change - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, V6 Oil change in Cadillac SRX Forums; Originally Posted by gman89 Did you ever notice that most of the people advocating 3000 mile oil changes are the ...
    Johnz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: V6 Oil change

Quote Originally Posted by gman89
    Did you ever notice that most of the people advocating 3000 mile oil changes are the people who make money selling oil?
    Exactly! We've had the 3,000 mile thing drilled in our heads for years and it's just not true anymore. The technology with the synthetic oils and the engines these days make it possible to go 10,000 miles and more without any problems.

The last 3 or 4 cars I've bought had oil change intervals somewhere around 7,000 miles in the manual.

Vulcan is offline Cadillac Owners Member

VDO,

Thanks for the excellent post on the oil change for a SRX V6. One question, while did you put 5.5 qts when the manual says 6qts?

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

Quote Originally Posted by vdo
    My car had 7k miles since its last oil change and the oil is noticeably black, but the monitor still read 100% oil life.
    No disrespect, but were you looking at the oil life monitor or transmission service monitor? They are one step apart on the DIC and the trans service figure stays at about 100% for quite a while.

vdo
    vdo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan
    VDO,

Thanks for the excellent post on the oil change for a SRX V6. One question, while did you put 5.5 qts when the manual says 6qts?
    When I wrote this how-to, it seems that putting in 5.5 qts would get me to the full mark on the dip stick. Being that the car was fairly new, I didn't want to risk over-oiling. Nowadays, for the sake of convenience (Mobile1 comes in a 6-pack), I put in 6 qts. The oil level on the dip stick shows about a centimeter over the full mark, but it doesn't seem to do any harm.

vdo

Quote Originally Posted by c5 rv
    No disrespect, but were you looking at the oil life monitor or transmission service monitor? They are one step apart on the DIC and the trans service figure stays at about 100% for quite a while.
    Thanks for looking out, but yes, it was my engine oil monitor. After I reset it, it works fine now. Somehow, it came from the factory stuck at 100%.

robhersch is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 SRX N*V8 RWD; 1999 DeVille Concours

I have a question on oil filters (Re N*V8). I note that the Mobil 1 brand filters seem to be hard to locate (and cost about double that of many others such as ACDelco - what my Cad dealer installed - Fram, Puralator, Pennzoil, etc). Does anyone have facts or suggestions on filters and are filters different for synthetic vs regular oils?? Thanks in advance.

jorozco is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Great Tips..... Thank you very much especially the pics!

HvyMetl is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 SRX V8

Any tips or pics for V8's?

Thanks!

C66 Racing is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by robhersch View Post
    Does anyone have facts or suggestions on filters and are filters different for synthetic vs regular oils?? Thanks in advance.
    The filter you use is not dependent on the type of oil you use. That said, there are enormous differences in filters on the market. In general, there are paper filters, synthetic blend filters (primarily cellulose, synthetic and glass blend media) and full synthetic filters. Their cost varies as much as their ability to filtrate and flow. Another factor is the quality of the construction.

Again, in general, a filter that filters well, will not flow well. But last year AMSOIL, in partnership with Donaldson and Wix, developed and released a new line of full synthetic air and oil filters that not only filter extremely well, they don't do it at the cost of flow. I now use these in all my vehicles:
    AMSOIL Ea Oil Filter
    AMSOIL Ea Air Filter

If you are interested, you can find the applicable filters for any of your vehicles here:
    AMSOIL Online Product Application Guide

frazierjs is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

VDO, I am having problems viewing the pics on the website you provided. The website you provided is sending me to a roadrunner website. Help with viewing pictures.

Flex

vdo

Quote Originally Posted by frazierjs View Post
    VDO, I am having problems viewing the pics on the website you provided. The website you provided is sending me to a roadrunner website. Help with viewing pictures.

Flex
    Since I can't edit my original post, I'll just attach the missing pics here.
    Attached Images

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.