04 SRX Turn Signal Replacement (Front)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, 04 SRX Turn Signal Replacement (Front) in Cadillac SRX Forums; Well, bought my used SRX this week and am pretty excited about this ride. I went 2004, V8, UltraView, AWD. ...
    amerhistry is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX V8

Thumbs up 04 SRX Turn Signal Replacement (Front)

Well, bought my used SRX this week and am pretty excited about this ride. I went 2004, V8, UltraView, AWD. No doubt, right now its best car I have owned as far as looks and smooth ride...time will tell on dependability and reliability. I bought with 50,000 miles so that if its a turd...I will get rid of it ASAP and wont get stuck holding the bag on price.

Anyway, first thing I noticed was that the front right turn signal was out. Oh boy...from reading the posts on this site I was sure I was in for a doozy.

Not true. Simply remove the front tire. Remove the plastic well cover by removing the plastic clips that pull right out with a v-notched screwdriver. Then, reach in and unscrew the 6 small vorx bolts of the signal box. Yes, you may need an extension, Menards has them for about $2.00 and after the box is off....shaaa - zhammm...done! Swap the bulb and put everything back the way you found it.

To be honest, I like the design. The screws keep it watertight and it had plastic drain tubes to keep the condensation out of the lamps.

No, its not a 3 hour project. No, you dont need to be a mechanic to complete. Yes, if you cant turn a wrench...you probably should not be trying to do anything on a car to begin with. Sorry folks, but some of the posts on the site are a little on the loopy side.

P.S - My personal favorite so far is the "my car just dies on the road and I have no clue why....my add on radar detector that I hot-wired into the electrical system myself does not work either anymore...cadillac is a rip off!"

Give me a break!

Lets hope this ride lasts....

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

OffThaHorseCEO is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD, 1989 Cadillac Allanté: Pearl White

Re: 04 SRX Turn Signal Replacement (Front)

Quote Originally Posted by amerhistry View Post
    Well, bought my used SRX this week and am pretty excited about this ride. I went 2004, V8, UltraView, AWD. No doubt, right now its best car I have owned as far as looks and smooth ride...time will tell on dependability and reliability. I bought with 50,000 miles so that if its a turd...I will get rid of it ASAP and wont get stuck holding the bag on price.

Anyway, first thing I noticed was that the front right turn signal was out. Oh boy...from reading the posts on this site I was sure I was in for a doozy.

Not true. Simply remove the front tire. Remove the plastic well cover by removing the plastic clips that pull right out with a v-notched screwdriver. Then, reach in and unscrew the 6 small vorx bolts of the signal box. Yes, you may need an extension, Menards has them for about $2.00 and after the box is off....shaaa - zhammm...done! Swap the bulb and put everything back the way you found it.

To be honest, I like the design. The screws keep it watertight and it had plastic drain tubes to keep the condensation out of the lamps.

No, its not a 3 hour project. No, you dont need to be a mechanic to complete. Yes, if you cant turn a wrench...you probably should not be trying to do anything on a car to begin with. Sorry folks, but some of the posts on the site are a little on the loopy side.

P.S - My personal favorite so far is the "my car just dies on the road and I have no clue why....my add on radar detector that I hot-wired into the electrical system myself does not work either anymore...cadillac is a rip off!"

Give me a break!

Lets hope this ride lasts....
    haha glad to see a positive post!

i too think that the turn signal horror stories were a bit exaggerated. i didnt even remove my tires and it was super easy. time consuming (because i didnt remove my tires/wheel) but really easy.

G32006SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac SRX V6 AWD

I actually did this job over weekend. This was the most difficult turn signal light I ever replaced but once you start zipping through it, it wasn't too bad. The auto parts stores still have the WRONG bulb listed. You need a 3757 and I suggest a long life version. I bought extra plastic fasteners so I replaced some that were missing under the bumper. I needed to drill the bumper hole out and the insde part hole a touch bigger because these were not stock fasteners. Everything is rock solid now. I do like the waterproof design of the lamp housing. Mine is a 2006 SRX.

G32006SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac SRX V6 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by G32006SRX View Post
    I actually did this job over weekend. This was the most difficult turn signal light I ever replaced but once you start zipping through it, it wasn't too bad. The auto parts stores still have the WRONG bulb listed. You need a 3757 and I suggest a long life version. I bought extra plastic fasteners so I replaced some that were missing under the bumper. I needed to drill the bumper hole out and the insde part hole a touch bigger because these were not stock fasteners. Everything is rock solid now. I do like the waterproof design of the lamp housing. Mine is a 2006 SRX.
    By the way I used a torx screwdriver and had no problem getting to any of the screws. Ok... the upper one on the inside was a little rough but the rest went smooth.

3Left is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

While I appreciate the engineering that was performed to turn a five minute procedure to an hour plus where the car has to be partially disassembled, I'm not sure I understand the logic other than to create a profit center for the dealers. Back in the day bulb replacement was removing a handful of screws that were all accessible from the front of the car, removing the bezel, replacing the bulb and reversing the process. A difficult one took a little more than five minutes. One of my front signals went out and the dealer said it was 90 minutes to 2 hours to replace it. This was also the same Cadillac dealer that said my SRX using a quart of oil every thousand miles was normal, that was how it was designed. Huh? I told them back in the day we called that junk. They eventually rebuilt the top end after admitting there were problems with the rings from the factory. Back to the turn signals....Maybe there is a logical explanation? I am open....

jalexand61 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS LUXIII - 2006 SRX AWD

In my opinion there are two possible reasons for the difficulty associated with doing things like replacing bulbs on newer vehicles. One. Design engineers don't have to do any repairs and two. most cars in the class of vehicle of the cadillac are not worked on by owners but are taken by their owners to dealers for repairs, yes even the smallest ones like bulb replacement. current design requirements make even changing a parking lamp bulb a profitable repair for the dealer. However, there is even a much bigger reason to build them shall we say user 'unfriendly", it gets owners bringing cars back to the dealer where the dealer has a better chance of getting even more of your repair/mantenance work or even better, you wouldn't believe the number of times an owner will take a car in for a minor service and end up driving away in a brand new car. A dealer with an aggressive sales staff can make this happen more than you think.

Jim

dctex99 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Lexus RX350, Satin Cashmere Metallic

Mine is under wty, but of course dlr's are not,,he wants $130 to replace the bulb.....He must remove the engine to get to the inside of the bumper cover????

ktr-sb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 SRX 3.6L 2WD

Quote Originally Posted by amerhistry View Post
    Then, reach in and unscrew the 6 small vorx bolts of the signal box. Yes, you may need an extension, Menards has them for about $2.00 and after the box is off....shaaa - zhammm...done! Swap the bulb and put everything back the way you found it.
    Uhhmmm, you might be doing this again if you don't update the sockets as well.

Check it out at http://srxturnsignals.shutterfly.com

Quote Originally Posted by jalexand61 View Post
    In my opinion there are two possible reasons for the difficulty associated with doing things like replacing bulbs on newer vehicles. . . .
    Lots of interesting speculation, but the reality is, the manufacturer thinks of dealers as necessary evils, and would be very happy if none of their cars ever went back to a dealer other than for a trade-in on another new car.

The real reason this happened is because the supplier failed to deliver what GM required, which is a tightly-fitting socket that wouldn't overheat and loosen due to poor manufacturing tolerances. The GM lighting engineers who designed this part would have known that exacting specifications would be necessary to eliminate bulb failures. However, as often happens, the non-GM independent business supplier who made the sockets probably had a manfacturing engineer who thought he could fudge the specs, saving his company a few bucks on their razor-thin margin. This is the number one cause of failures, especially the ones that lead to recalls. Seldom is it a problem with the OEM's design.

Wombat2go is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

In the 2004 srx it appears the day time running lamps/ turn signal use the "stop" filament of a 'stop & tail ' lamp. On my srx I saw that it overheats both the base and the lamp when running continuously.
    In my opinion there may be a safety problem too when the turn signals fail. "Stop" is about 26 Watt at 12.8 V and may be higher.
    Tired of replacing these I put series resistor of 0.5 Ohm 7 Watt in the wiring harness. The soldered joints need to be really well done and coated in lamp grease then sealed in shrink wrap. I put the resistors in a U channel of teflon and cable tied it to the plastic housing near the lamp socket.
    Since then , no more failures. The lamps now run at about 22 Watt and there is no noticeable drop in brightness.
    Same problem too on the head lights a newer Euro car we have, they burn out every few weeks.
    I think here should be to be better DOT regulations for life of running lamps that are on continously.

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat2go View Post
    Tired of replacing these I put series resistor of 0.5 Ohm 7 Watt in the wiring harness.
    Before or after you replaced the sockets? How long has your repair lasted? Mine has lasted two years and 50K miles. And didn't introduce any new failure modes.

ATM
    ATM is offline Cadillac Owners Member

How did you know to replace the sockets? Were they redesigned?

Quote Originally Posted by ATM View Post
    How did you know to replace the sockets? Were they redesigned?
    Either here or on the internet somewhere. Pretty sure there was a bulletin. And I am pretty sure they were redesigned. All I know is I have 152K on the SRX and they still work.

Thrill6 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 11 CTS-V Sedan, 07 Corvette Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by 3Left View Post
    While I appreciate the engineering that was performed to turn a five minute procedure to an hour plus where the car has to be partially disassembled, I'm not sure I understand the logic other than to create a profit center for the dealers. Back in the day bulb replacement was removing a handful of screws that were all accessible from the front of the car, removing the bezel, replacing the bulb and reversing the process. A difficult one took a little more than five minutes. One of my front signals went out and the dealer said it was 90 minutes to 2 hours to replace it. This was also the same Cadillac dealer that said my SRX using a quart of oil every thousand miles was normal, that was how it was designed. Huh? I told them back in the day we called that junk. They eventually rebuilt the top end after admitting there were problems with the rings from the factory. Back to the turn signals....Maybe there is a logical explanation? I am open....
    Here's one explaination.

Older cars used to have standard headlights, those square ones that were about 5" x 3", and came in a high beam and low beam. There were also the ones that were a little bit bigger that used one bulb for high and low beams. These were made of some pretty heavy duty glass so they could take a rock strike without exploding (all light bulbs have the air vacuumed out). As styles changed, these lights are very rarely used except on trucks and commercial vehicles. Newer lights have HID bulbs and other bulbs inside light assemblies that are much more attractive but much more fragil. They need covered with some tough plastic to protect the bulbs and sealed pretty well to prevent 99% of dirt and moisture from getting inside them. Removable front covers are not really an option because you would need several screws to ensure a tight seal (because they are exposed to lots of water from the front) and how would you hide the screws The solution is to seal the front cover and provide access from the back. Lots of cars now provide access to the headlamp assemblies from the wheel well because it is relatively easy to get to, and you don't need to worry about the aesthetics of the access cover. Cadillac is high end brand where styling is just as important as function, so sometimes ease of maintenance needs to be compromised in some cases.

The LED tail lights are another example. LED's have very long life (10 to 15 years) but are very expensive compared to bulbs. (Only recently have cheap high output LED's become available.) On the Cadillac tail lights, the LED's are not replacable, so if enought of them go bad, you need to replace the entire tail light assembly or rebuild them. Don't break a lens either because each SRX tail light costs about $500!!!!

SilverDHS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 SRX 2WD, 01 Deville DHS

Thanks for all the information my wife had a bulb die this morning so it looks like I will have my man servant replace it this week. The rear LED almost strobes when the front bulb is out, I think GM has had that warning for a long time.

I remember I had a 83 Caprice Classic 9C1 that did the same thing and we have a 99 Firebird that just did it when we got torrential rains last week.

Another successful Cadillac Forum repair

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.