P0345, P0346, P0420 and P0446 Codes and Gas Refueling Problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, P0345, P0346, P0420 and P0446 Codes and Gas Refueling Problem in Cadillac SRX Forums; ...
    LateAgain.5 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

P0345, P0346, P0420 and P0446 Codes and Gas Refueling Problem

Hi Everyone,

My 2004 SRX (V8, AWD, 40K miles, now out of warranty) has been almost flawless since new. For the past two years, however, the Check Engine light has been coming on every 3-4 months, but always clearing up after a few restarts. The frequency suddenly increased a couple of months ago, and now the light comes on every week. It always stays on solid for a few days, then clears up, then comes back on solid (so no blinking). I have ignored it for years under the excuse of "bad gas" or "it's OK if it goes away," but clearly that is not the case anymore. I mentioned this to the dealer a couple of times in the past when I had the car in for service, but somehow the codes were always erased when they checked.

I just bought a code reader (Innova 3120 in case it helps), and here are the codes I got today in the order provided by the reader:

P0446 Evaporative Emission System Vent Control Circuit
    P0345 Sensor A Circuit (Bank 2)
    P0346 - Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performace (Bank 2)
    P0420 Catalyst system efficiency below threshold (Bank 1)
    P0420 (pending) Catalyst system efficiency below threshold (Bank 1)

I should also mention that for the past couple of months it has been extremely difficult to put gas in the car, with the gas pump shutting off every 10-30 seconds. I have tried to move the nozzle in various positions (e.g., insert it more or less, rotate it, etc.), but with no improvement. The only solution I have is to rotate the nozzle 180 degrees (so handle pointing up), and this works in most gas stations (but interestingly, does not seem to help with Shell nozzles). Of course, I try to be discrete doing this, to any casual observer I probably look odd turning the nozzle upside down and staring at it… :-)

Does anyone here have any suggestions as to what is going on? Based on my experience with dealers, if I take the car in with these problems, they will come up with no solution or with 20 solutions that may or may not resolve it. I trust the wisdom of this group and would really value your opinions. I can't connect the dots between all this data - assuming that there is some connection.

Thank you in advance.

/ Late Again

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

Re: P0345, P0346, P0420 and P0446 Codes and Gas Refueling Problem

Regarding P0446, has your car been passing the emissions tests? Can you smell gas any time from right after filling to the next refill? You stated the gas pumps keep shutting repeatedly during fill-ups. The gas vapor venting system is malfunctioning somewhere, either electrically or mechanically (bad or dirty valve vent or clogged charcoal cannister). These could cause the code AND the refuelling difficulties.

The first schematic gives you a rough idea of what the fuel delivery system looks like and the evaporative emission controls in place to prevent gasoline vapors from escaping to outsde of the car. The second, though not a descriptive on your SRX, describes the components of the evaporative system that could have malfunctioned or failed.

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h62.pdf

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_...rcuit_low_mean

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ine-light.html

Re code 420, I have had catalytic convertors go bad as early as 6 years, both banks, but these were covered/replaced under the original factory warranty on a Ford product which had a longer coverage period for emissions related items.

If you do a search on P0446 and P0420 on this forum you will probably find the info you need. Same with P0345 and 346 (zero, not O).

I wouldn't think these two codes are complex with regard to the fix.....but labor?????? As long as the service tech can get to the evaporative system components.

Sorry I could not be of more help. I am just an owner, not a mechanic...... But someone beyyer at this stuff than I will certainly chime in.

Dimitrioscool is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX AWD V8

2004 srx v8 awd I have only the p0446 code and a very hard time filling my gas tank too. its been going on like 6 months. check engine light is on but sometimes off. the car does run great. I brought it to my mechanic and told me he doesnt work on cars like mine so he referred me to someone else but hes expensive. I just don't know where to start. I rather buy parts myself. I don't feel like getting ripped off.

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    P0345 is the intake cam sensor on the driver side head behind PS reservoir. All 4 of those sensors are interchangeable so take the intake and exhaust cam sensors and switch them and see if the the code changes.

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

Try driving with the gas cap off. If that works a new purge solenoid may be in order.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.