First Post-First Cadillac
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, First Post-First Cadillac in Cadillac SRX Forums; My wife and I have owned a variety of cars over the years from Audi's to Volvo's..finally got around to ...
    Nimble1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX

First Post-First Cadillac

My wife and I have owned a variety of cars over the years from Audi's to Volvo's..finally got around to buying a Cadillac and think we are going to like it.
    We just bought a CPO 2009 SRX from the local dealer. Got a pretty good deal on it too. Car has 20,000 miles on it and appears to be in great shape.
    First car she has liked since she had an Audi Avant.
    She is leaving on a 800 mile round trip this Friday so it will be interesting to see how it does on the road. I am going to try to get her to keep an accurate gas log as see how the mileage does.
    I have been scanning the forum and really have enjoyed it sofar. Hopefully all I will ever have to report are good things not issues...LOL

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

Re: First Post-First Cadillac

My wife wanted one too, so about two months ago we picked up a dealer CPO 07 V8 AWD with 26K mi., very clean inside and out, nearly scratch-free and no door dings.

V6 or V8, if she hits 21mpg (pure highway) she's doing as good or better than most. Keep it at 70 or under and that mileage is realistic. Add in stops and city driving and the mileage falls off noticeably. But mileage is not what you bought the SRX for anyway.

Professor Wizard is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX-4 Sport / TriCoatWhite

Congrats on your new SRX.

Mine is an 09... and Trips is exactly what I bought this car for.

I owned it exactly 19 days, when we headed off to Panama City Florida.

GREAT Trip car! Smooooooth... Quiet.... My MPG was around 20mpg.

FYI: if you have the GPS - you will get a lot of error in northern Florida. "Data for Area Not Found". Who Knew?

Enjoy your new ride.

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

Welcome to the forum!
    Although having some issues I still love the SRX on long trips. Both my and my GFs family live 3.5 to 6 hours driving away, so the SRX is absolutely great hauling the luggage and riding smoothly. It is considered temporarily until the CTS wagon arrives, but I will love it until then. My GF actually wants to keep the SRX as she wouldn't have to worry about damaging the rims while parallel parking opposed to the 20" I had on my 2006 CTS and probably will have on my CTS wagon.

Thanks for the welcome everyone!
    Well, she left this morning on her trip....sniff..sniff..all I could do was wave as she drove away..I sure did want to be driving..LOL
    Had to go over the info screens again so she could record the mileage properly and told her to record the fill-ups for an accurate MPG.
    She will be picking up our daughter an a couple of hours in Orlando and she does not know we got the SRX. Should be interesting.
    On another note, called a buddy last night and told him about the car and he gave me a rash of ca-ca about buying a Caddy! Called me an old fart..LOL
    Well, I am old but have driven quite a variety of cars over the years and have done my share of SCCA and IMSA racing and I think the SRX is going to be a fun vehicle to drive (when I finally get too).See if he ever gets a ride!

budweisser1988 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 SRX

Unhappy Re: First Post-First Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by Nimble1 View Post
    My wife and I have owned a variety of cars over the years from Audi's to Volvo's..finally got around to buying a Cadillac and think we are going to like it.
    We just bought a CPO 2009 SRX from the local dealer. Got a pretty good deal on it too. Car has 20,000 miles on it and appears to be in great shape.
    First car she has liked since she had an Audi Avant.
    She is leaving on a 800 mile round trip this Friday so it will be interesting to see how it does on the road. I am going to try to get her to keep an accurate gas log as see how the mileage does.
    I have been scanning the forum and really have enjoyed it sofar. Hopefully all I will ever have to report are good things not issues...LOL
    I have just joined this site because I too purchased my first Cadillac , 2006 SRX certified pre owned. Quite frankly I am disapponted. Dealer and Cadillac customer service is telling me it is NORMAL for ALL Cadillacs to use a quart of oil every 2000 miles ! Are these guys crazy? How can they advertise Cadillac as a world standard with this type of NORMAL oil consuption?

Professor Wizard is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX-4 Sport / TriCoatWhite

I've heard that explanation of "Normal" too.

Do they advertise Caddy as the World Standard? I don't think so!

Anymore, Caddy is at best 2 years behind everyone else. 5 years in many cases. (Like Blue Tooth and IPod Docks.)

Nimble :: Welcome to the board - you will find many useful bits of information in here!

Just learn to ignore the rattled and crazy people like me!

Welcome Bud!!!!!!!!

Prof....I can't afford to ignore you.....you know more than I do. BTW, pass me a quart of oil, shaken not stirred.

jsiddall is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 SRX V8 AWD Sport, 06 STS V8, 05 SRX V8 AWD, 97 STS

Quote Originally Posted by budweisser1988 View Post
    I have just joined this site because I too purchased my first Cadillac , 2006 SRX certified pre owned. Quite frankly I am disapponted. Dealer and Cadillac customer service is telling me it is NORMAL for ALL Cadillacs to use a quart of oil every 2000 miles ! Are these guys crazy? How can they advertise Cadillac as a world standard with this type of NORMAL oil consuption?
    Wow, only a quart every 2,000 mi -- consider yourself lucky! Seriously, my STS only gets about 1,200 mi on a quart and that is considered normal.

Still, what's the big deal? OK, so you need to add a couple of quarts between changes. I fail to see how a can of oil should cause you to be dissatisfied with the car, the dealer, or Cadillac in general. As a simple solution you can try the WOT procedure documented elsewhere on these forums (essentially stick it in 2nd and accelerate at WOT up to near the redline, then let off the gas and let the vehicle coast back to near idle) a few times and see if consumption improves.

budweisser1988 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 SRX

Thanks for the reponse.
    My point is I have owned a Lexus and know several people with MB and Audi's. These vehicles do not use oil between changes !
    Not familar with WOT please explain.

WOT......wide open throttle. My buddy's Lexus used a quart every thousand milesright out of the new car box and did not change as the mileage climbed. He was told by his dealer that 1,000 miles is the lower spec range cut off, but wihin tolerance.

I suppose it would be safe to say this is a concern from folks who worry that something is terribly wrong and that the longevity of the engine is compromised.

Northern SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-4 3.6 & 2008 SRX-4 V6

Nimble1: Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum! We're on our second 1st gen SRX (an '08 V6) and love it. It serves us well, has great utility, is stylish, and gets compliments wherever we go. As for mileage, well, this is not the reason why we bought the SRX...

Quote Originally Posted by budweisser1988 View Post
    Thanks for the reponse.
    My point is I have owned a Lexus and know several people with MB and Audi's. These vehicles do not use oil between changes !
    Not familar with WOT please explain.
    If this is your experience, I understand your frustration. Our two current vehicles are the latest of our 4 Cadillacs and we have never had oil burning in any of them. That's a condition I only ever had on a Toyota and a Mazda of years gone by.

As for it being "normal": a quart every 2,000 miles isn't typical for a 2006 MY vehicle but it is within the tolerances of normal operation for a higher mileage vehicle (which doesn't sound like yours) or one that has been well-used. It happens and is usually more of a minor inconvenience than anything else. If this turns out to be your biggest gripe about the SRX, you'll be doing well.

Just my opinion here but the original poster's initial message was a positive one with a focus on mileage. Yours was a negative message focusing on something completely different. In effect, you hijacked the thread and might have been better advised to start your own thread about oil burning rather than turning a positive one negative.

And - welcome to the forum to you as well!

Thanks for the welcome Northern.
    I spoke with my wife last night at the halfway point of her 900 mile trip and she is still loving the SRX. I don't know if she will ever get the hang of all the gadgets but she likes the way it drives.
    We do have the 3 month Onstar and XM activated. Not sure we will keep the Onstar but really like the XM.Will have to see if I can wrangle the $77 deal I hear some folks getting from XM.
    Our salesman did say that Onstar could be activated by the month if one was planning a long trip? Was this just sales talk or has anyone done this?

TSS
    TSS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 Lade & 06 SRX (Gone); 2010 Enclave CXL; 2010 MKS Ecoboost

Welcome!!!!!!

Wait on the XM thing. Yes, 77 buck deal is real, and I have done it for years. However, WAIT this time around.

I just got a certified 09 Inpala SS with the free 3 months. This weekend, after about a month or so, they called me to offer an extension for an additional 4 months (total of seven), for 20 bucks ($23.00 with all the taxes/fees). That is an even better deal than the $77.00 deal for those 4 months. What you do then, after 7 months is over, is call to cancel unless they give you the $77.00 deal. AND actually CANCEL if they won't. You will then get an offer by mail or phone offering you the deal to get you back into XM.

Too bad we need to play the silly game, but it is enough of a savings for me to do it. Plus in reality, XM truly is not worth more than 7 bucks a month to me. If the deal goes away, I will stop subscribing. I suppose if you are truly in love with XM, you would pay the higher price. Now that they have commercials on some of my music stations, the value to me is much lower.

The XM folks are busy.....and all over the map. I received a "welcome" letter from XM about my 3 month trial and offering $12.95 per month. But no phone calls, unless thay called and didn't leave a message. Guess I will have to call the 800 number at the bottom of the welcome letter to express a casual interest, but not at this price.

Thanks to you guys I now have a little pressure tool: "Why does XM offer my friends these prices but not me?"

Hopefully they will, with a little back and forth. The commercial-free aspect of XM with the selection has its plusses, especially on longer trips out into the middle of nowhere. But with the DVD, CD, and the zillion pre-set capabilities for channel and preference surfing, XM isn't competitive enough (versus free) price-wise for me to subscribe. Here are some of the prices my mailing offered, BEFORe fees and taxes, scaled down to per month:

Monthly 14.93
    3 Month 14.93
    1 year 13.77
    2 year 11.77
    3 year 11.18

XM has a lot of fixed overhead which exists no matter what the customer base size is. If they want folks to switch to them, or to stay switched, they better put on their thinking caps. The price breaks are noise level, unattractive too. They can always use the tried and true "sucker you in" for the first year promo.....but it doesn't seem they are doing even that. You have to take their two year program to get any substantive % savings.

Their financial struggle is well known. But as a pencilhead by profession and looking at the fixed overhead, to me......a subscriber for less is better than no subscriber at all.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.