2004 SRX Front struts ?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, 2004 SRX Front struts ? in Cadillac SRX Forums; Just had an oil change and the mechanic told me my front struts were leaking on my 04 SRX I ...
    04-SRX-NH is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX

2004 SRX Front struts ?

Just had an oil change and the mechanic told me my front struts were leaking on my 04 SRX I just bought 2 weeks ago. I have 60 days and 2500 miles from the dealership warranty but of course they are saying the car was just serviced by them two weeks ago and it's a common wear and tear item. They are saying they cant just take this mechanics word. Would it be worth it for me to go to a cadillac dealer and have the car looked at and get something in writing ?

Anyone know what these cost to fix ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jsiddall is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 SRX V8 AWD Sport, 06 STS V8, 05 SRX V8 AWD, 97 STS

Re: 2004 SRX Front struts ?

I can't say whether leaking struts are covered by your dealer warranty, but they definitely are a wear item so possibly not.

As for the cost the dealer could tell you for sure but a lot will depend on whether the vehicle has MRC. If you see wires coming out of the top of the strut under the hood then the bill will be a lot bigger!

Professor Wizard is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX-4 Sport / TriCoatWhite

Although a "Wear Item".... They are actually a safety item - so the dealership should have replaced them before selling the car! In most states - dealerships are obligated by law to make a car safe before selling it. For example, If your car needed brake pads- a wear item... the dealer would have had to replace them to pass safety before selling the car!

Now... that car should not have passed the state safety inspection if the struts were bad... Since it did pass the safety... perhaps that shop is digging for work.

Plopping some oil on a shock, and then telling the owner the shock is bad is a VERY OLD TRICK!

Push hard down on the front of your car... if the car only recoils ONCE - you are good for a while. If the car recoils 3 times - you need new shocks.

Thanks Guys for the reply. The car is still very stiff and only recoils once. The ride is still that of a new car thats why I was shocked to hear it. My other car needs struts and it's all over the road. That you can clearly tell. This new Cadillac I find it very hard to believe because the ride is so nice.

One other thing. Is there anyway to by-pass the MRc if it does have that and just go with regular struts ?

Quote Originally Posted by jsiddall View Post
    I can't say whether leaking struts are covered by your dealer warranty, but they definitely are a wear item so possibly not.

As for the cost the dealer could tell you for sure but a lot will depend on whether the vehicle has MRC. If you see wires coming out of the top of the strut under the hood then the bill will be a lot bigger!

Yes there is a plug with two wires attached to the top of my struts. This means big bucks ?????

I came across this today and was wondering if anyone had any ideas if these would work ???

+ enlarge image KYB Gas-a-Just Shock Absorber and Strut Assembly
    App: 2004-2009 Cadillac SRX
    Brand: KYB
    Part #: 551608
    Notes: KYB GAS-A-JUST SHOCK ABSORBER, SOLD INDIVIDUALLY -- Gas charged; Monotube construction; Ideal as a replacement for an OE monotube or as an upgrade from a twin tube shock, this high pressure double action shock absorber automatically adjusts to driving conditions for incredible gains in stability, handling, control, and ride comfort; Perfect for vehicles with radial tires and for those driven to their performance limits; With KYB's limited lifetime warranty.
    Series: Gas-a-Just
    Type: Shock absorber
    Quantitysold: Sold individually
    Warranty: KYB's limited lifetime warrantyPrice: $122.74

Quantity
    Make Model Year Range Chassis/Engine
    Cadillac SRX 2004 - 2009 All Submodels; All Engines;

jsiddall is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 SRX V8 AWD Sport, 06 STS V8, 05 SRX V8 AWD, 97 STS

Quote Originally Posted by 04-SRX-NH View Post
    I came across this today and was wondering if anyone had any ideas if these would work ???
    Not of you have MRC!

Here's another part description I found:
    KYB Part # 551608 {Gas-A-Just}
    Exc. Magnetic Ride Control; Front
    Maybe if you google you will find a way to bypass the electronics but without that something will be unhappy. You might try disconnecting the connectors on your current shocks to see exactly what happens.

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

MRC struts do not fail and leak often
    id highly doubt it

ktr-sb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 SRX 3.6L 2WD

FYI, here's a bit of a how-to for the non-magnetic shocks:

http://srxturnsignals.shutterfly.com/strutreplacement

Tzar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

How can I access this link? Thank you

SRX619 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

Try wiping the shock down to get the oil off of it. Drive for a while to see if the oil comes back. If it does, the shock has likely gone bad. On my 2004 AWD SRX F03 suspension the car did not bounce per the usuual shock test, but the shock was bad. If it is the F03 suspension Delco sells the shocks on Amazon for $400 a pop as does Rock Auto versus the $800 list price. Take the car to a shop to have them installed if you are not mechanically skilled or don't have air tools. The suspension comes apart with #18 and #24 socket, a gear puller, lots of rust buster, spring compessor (rent iit) and some muscle. While it is apart check the upper ball joints. Moog now has a replacement upper ball joint for $46.00 the beats buying the whole upper control arm for $200.

cfishkin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Please tell me the difference between a shock and a strut. Thanks.

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by cfishkin View Post
    Please tell me the difference between a shock and a strut. Thanks.
    Strut has the spring around it and has to be compressed to release the spring safetly shocks just support the suspension but isn't combined with the spring as an assembly. They are easier to do than struts.

cfishkin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by repnatl View Post
    Strut has the spring around it and has to be compressed to release the spring safely, shocks just support the suspension but isn't combined with the spring as an assembly. They are easier to do than struts.
    So bottom line, for most SRX's, (excluding those with MRC, the fronts have struts, the rears have shocks. To replace the fronts, the spring and shock come as one unit ? If not, should the spring be replaced as well ? Thanks.

SFVetteman is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS 3.6 Premium, 1999 Corvette,370 RWHP & other mods

Quote Originally Posted by repnatl View Post
    Strut has the spring around it and has to be compressed to release the spring safetly shocks just support the suspension but isn't combined with the spring as an assembly. They are easier to do than struts.
    A suspension strut not only supports longitudinal loads but lateral loads as well. This saves money for manufacturers as they can eliminate the upper control arm. The !st gen SRX has an upper control arm as well as all the other suspension components to properly locate the front wheel. The SRX front shock may look a bit like a strut but it is just a shock.

The 2nd gen SRX does have the strut front suspension. That's part of the price paid by putting the SRX on the lambda platform for 2010.

Bill

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.