06 or 07 and AWD or RWD-Advice
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, 06 or 07 and AWD or RWD-Advice in Cadillac SRX Forums; Hey Guys- I am very close to purchasing a 1st gen. I'll need to know primarily what's the better vehicle. ...
    bhahlbeck is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

06 or 07 and AWD or RWD-Advice

Hey Guys-

I am very close to purchasing a 1st gen. I'll need to know primarily what's the better vehicle. I have done my research in options and features, but am not sure if either have common issues. I have seen the radio blank screen glitch that would affect the 06.

I have asked every SRX owner how their machine handles in snow with hopes to talk with a RWD owner. Everyone here (Chicago) has AWD.

How are the RWD's in snow? I am dying to know. The car would be my treat, but primarilly driven by my fiance.

Need some advice and glad to be a member!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

Re: 06 or 07 and AWD or RWD-Advice

I had an 06 RWD. Frankly, in the 3+ years I leased it, I never took it out in snow. (I had a couple AWD vehicles during that time.) Before the SRX, I had a RWD 04 CTS and I used it for a couple Michigan winters with Michelin winter tires. It did fine except when my steep driveway got icy.

If the driver has experience driving RWD cars in the winter, the SRX with winter tires should be OK. If the driver has only driven FWD cars or lived in the south, get AWD.

bhahlbeck is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Thanks for responding. I am surprised that no one else has so far. Thanks.

raysirx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

My SRX works well in the snow. I flat towed my bronco with a plow attached up a hill in a snow storm.

However the cost is probably 1 mpg for awd, the best I can get is 22 mpg on highway.

you can't turn it off in summer

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Well a RWD is a RWD so it will drive in the snow like a RWD will, the key is tires and that has been mentioned.

Of course an AWD will be better in the snow in every way but braking so if you want better forward grip and you drive in the snow get an AWD, even with TC you will never have the grip of an AWD and the TC sucks really bad on the SRX so don't rely on it.

I use studded winter tires on our 04 AWD and it is great but I can still get into way more trouble than the computer can get me out of.

^^
    Re traction control - I always turned it off when driving on gravel roads because the long power interruption on takeoff (with any tire slip) is dangerous. I kept TC turned off on my CTS in the winter most of the time.

A few months ago I was instructing a winter driving school on a lake, my race car would not run right so I took the chance to get the SRX out on the ice for the day.

Well the TC is useless (is that spelled correct) IMO and I could spin for a long time before it started to work, now mind you this is on a lake, on the floor with the V8. When I did this in my A6 it would pull power so fast you could not spin to save your life, the SRX TC does work but it takes its sweet time and does not work with big throttle position.

For day to day driving the TC works ok and life is good but way less intrusive than any other system I have driven.

I will say it again, the big key is tires. My Dads RWD 330 was a waste of time in the winter with all seasons, the ESP and TC did all that it could but with no grip on the road it did not stand a chance. I put studded winters on and while it will not drive away from an AWD car it stops and turns unreal and the computer has some grip to work with now.

This is why I just don't get people not wanting to go to winter tires, they above all else are the most important saftey factor in the winter. The best way to stay safe is to not hit stuff or be able to get out of the way when you need to. The cheapest winter tire is better than the best all season.

Quote Originally Posted by conedoctor View Post
    For day to day driving the TC works ok and life is good but way less intrusive than any other system I have driven.
    IMO, the SRX TC is way MORE intrusive than any other system I have drive.

jfaz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 SRX N* AWD

We have a '06 N* AWD and feel that it handles like a tank in the snow, even with GoodYear ResponsEdge tires. My wife traded in her H3 Hummer for the SRX and could not feel safer and happier in her decision. She never thought a Cadillac would compare to the Hummer in winter driving, but loves the AWD.

I have to agree with the others that the TC is better left off.

Northern SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-4 3.6 & 2008 SRX-4 V6

A colleague bought a used '07 RWD SRX at the same time we bought our (second) '08 AWD SRX. Like us, they equipped theirs with snow tires for this past winter. Their experience: he slightly lost the backend once while pulling out from a stop. That taught him that the SRX's accelerator is more responsive than the underpowered FWD Windstar to which he had been accustomed. After that, he made it through the winter fine.

AWD is better in the snow and on the ice but, as conedoctor says, it doesn't help much in braking.

We live in a semi-rural suburb of a city and the plowing is good - frankly, other than ski trips and the end-of-driveway snowplow crud, the ground clearance and AWD of the SRX are wasted on us for 95% of the conditions we see.

Quote Originally Posted by c5 rv View Post
    IMO, the SRX TC is way MORE intrusive than any other system I have drive.
    Fully agree. I feel the same about the TC in our '10 CTS.

GMJim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04,06,10 SRX; 2011/14 CTS Wagon

I was just fine with my 2004 V6 RWD in the two Michigan winters I had it.
    Afterall, we made it through the first 75 years of the automobile with just RWD.
    Granted my 2006 V8 AWD pulled through the snow better, I never found the
    RWD inadequate. Now I have a 2010 V6 FWD. I have no problem with this either.
    I guess it comes down to how you drive, and what your expect from your vehicle.

I think alot of people do expect that if they get an AWD it will some how never spin out or loose control ever, the computer can only do so much.

So I agree it is how you drive for sure, I can loose control of out AWD just as easy as a RWD.

Compared to the BMW, Audi, Subaru and nissan TC systems I have driven the SRX does not even come on.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.