Considering a 2004 SRX
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Considering a 2004 SRX in Cadillac SRX Forums; 2004 SRX V8 AWD Ultraview Nav i found what i feel to be a good deal on a 2004 SRX ...
    OffThaHorseCEO is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD, 1989 Cadillac Allanté: Pearl White

Considering a 2004 SRX

2004 SRX V8 AWD Ultraview Nav

i found what i feel to be a good deal on a 2004 SRX but id like to get a bit more clarification before i jump. im going to have a look at it in a day or two and would like to know what things to look out for

dealer claims its awd, i read a thread where someone thought the dealer lied to them. what do "halfshafts" look like?

is the wet spare area common enough to where i should have a look at it? if its wet should i try to get the dealer to drop the price before i buy, or buy then have them repair before i leave?

i thought i saw a thread that mentioned oil consumption. i am getting rid of a 96 eldorado because it became one thing after another to fix. is the northstar in the SRX troublesome?

are there any expensive sensors shocks etc i should check to make sure they are in good working order?

oh yeah last question. can the 2004 nav unit use the newest map disc? does the disc remain in the unit at all times or is it more like an installation disc? also, i saw a mention of east and west us and canada discs...is there a continental disc?

thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

louisn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 srx V-8 awd

Re: Considering a 2004 SRX

I have the same car w/o the ultraview. Great car--ours has been very reliable considering its complexity. Others have had numerous problems. Check the jack area. i would be shocked if it's not wet or damp. One might never check that area unless they had a flat or heard about the problem and investigated. Gas mileage is below average but it runs like a bat. Take it to a mechanic for an inspection.

OffThaHorseCEO is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD, 1989 Cadillac Allanté: Pearl White

Quote Originally Posted by louisn View Post
    I have the same car w/o the ultraview. Great car--ours has been very reliable considering its complexity. Others have had numerous problems. Check the jack area. i would be shocked if it's not wet or damp. One might never check that area unless they had a flat or heard about the problem and investigated. Gas mileage is below average but it runs like a bat. Take it to a mechanic for an inspection.

nice.

i also noticed someone said something about the nav unit tilting to accept disc and having two different disc slots. does it play dvd movies? (while stopped of course) if so, do the dvd's go into the nav slot or the "music" slot

jsiddall is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 SRX V8 AWD Sport, 06 STS V8, 05 SRX V8 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by OffThaHorseCEO View Post
    nice.

i also noticed someone said something about the nav unit tilting to accept disc and having two different disc slots. does it play dvd movies? (while stopped of course) if so, do the dvd's go into the nav slot or the "music" slot
    DVDs only play in the RSE or in the player behind the NAV screen. The slot below the NAV screen is CD audio only.

As for what to look out for, whew, where to start?

To check for AWD look at the round shafts, maybe an inch in diameter, going to the center of the rear wheels. If you have those same kind of shafts on the front wheels you have AWD.

If you see a wire coming out of the top of the front struts under the hood then you have magnetic shocks. They are a lot more expensive to change.

Put a heavy load (like a person) in the back, turn on the ignition (or start it up), and make sure the air compressor runs, raises the back, and stops within a minute or so. If it doesn't you either need new shocks, a new compressor or both (like I did). That could cost a few grand.

Make sure the Ultraview, if you have it, opens and closes smoothly and does not stop in the middle anywhere.

Probably worth hooking up a scan tool and looking for any codes also.

Good luck!

Northern SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-4 3.6 & 2008 SRX-4 V6

i found what i feel to be a good deal on a 2004 SRX but id like to get a bit more clarification before i jump. im going to have a look at it in a day or two and would like to know what things to look out for

dealer claims its awd, i read a thread where someone thought the dealer lied to them. what do "halfshafts" look like?

is the wet spare area common enough to where i should have a look at it? if its wet should i try to get the dealer to drop the price before i buy, or buy then have them repair before i leave?

i thought i saw a thread that mentioned oil consumption. i am getting rid of a 96 eldorado because it became one thing after another to fix. is the northstar in the SRX troublesome?

are there any expensive sensors shocks etc i should check to make sure they are in good working order?

oh yeah last question. can the 2004 nav unit use the newest map disc? does the disc remain in the unit at all times or is it more like an installation disc? also, i saw a mention of east and west us and canada discs...is there a continental disc?

thanks in advance
    Follow jsiddall's advice to confirm that the vehicle is AWD. Another way is to check for the RPO codes located on the SPID sticker in the jack compartment. If you find the code MX7, the vehicle's undoubtedly AWD - unless somebody has swapped jack compartments! I believe that MX5 is also a valid GM AWD code but do not believe that that one applies to the SRX.

My advice is to take a dig. picture of the SPID sticker and run the codes through This RPO Look-up - that'll tell you how the car was equipped when it was built.

We loved our '04 with N*, MRC, and 3rd row (no ultraview or nav) - it's one of those vehicles that's worth putting up with the occasional maintenance expense (IMHO).

On that score.... we had our share of problems with our '04 but all were covered under the warranty and nothing truly awful. The rear load leveller was just starting to go at the end of the lease and, to be honest with you, I wouldn't have wanted to pay for it. Extended warranties are often good ideas for luxury vehicles that bristle with technology - and the SRX is no exception.

jsiddall is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 SRX V8 AWD Sport, 06 STS V8, 05 SRX V8 AWD

The wet jack compartment can be a pain to find and fix so I would try to get the dealer to do it, and make sure they realize you will keep coming back until it is dry!

The NAV disc must be in the drive whenever you are using the NAV system -- there is no installation. You can buy update discs to the tune of $300 from http://www.gmnavdisc.com/ for all SRXs or you can try your luck on eBay.

I must say I do not understand the US East/West thing. I have the West disc but it seems to have roads and POI for NY state. I really don't know what the difference is. Maybe someone else can answer that. I don't think you can get a "continental" disc.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.