Where to buy extended warranty?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Where to buy extended warranty? in Cadillac SRX Forums; Hi guys, The extended warranty on my '04 SRX has just expired. We've been very happy with the car and ...
    tnilfo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

Where to buy extended warranty?

Hi guys,

The extended warranty on my '04 SRX has just expired. We've been very happy with the car and it has given us very few problems. It helps that the miles are low -- just around 48k now. I'm thinking about buying a new warranty but I don't know the best place to get one -- should we go with GMPP? Are there other reputable warranties we should look into? And anyone know what kind of price we might have to pay?

Thanks for your suggestions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

smithb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Where to buy extended warranty?

Unless they've changed the rules, you cannot buy a GMPP after the original warranty runs out. If they did change the rules, the best place to buy a GMPP seems to be Black Pontiac Cadillac (website is gmoutlet.com I think). They will email you prices that I could not find cheaper anywhere else.

I don't know about aftermarket warranties, but I've heard good things from people on this forum and a few others. Since your car has less than 60k miles, you still may be eligible to have your car certified by a Cadillac dealer. It is about $1500. That gives you 6 years/100,000 coverage. That is what I would do if I could.

On a another note, if they didn't make money off warranties, they wouldn't sell them. Statistically speaking you are unlikely to get your money out of it, but it is a good "peace of mind" if you are worried as most items on the SRX are expensive. You may end up coming out ahead.

jsiddall is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 SRX V8 AWD Sport, 06 STS V8, 05 SRX V8 AWD, 97 STS

You are right about the "statistically speaking" thing, but keep in mind that they may be basing the pricing of the extended warranty on their cost instead of your price. When the repairs are based on cost it is entirely possible that you will save money and that GM will make money at the same time on the same extended warranty!

I called my local Cadillac dealer in Canada and asked about the cost of an extended warranty for my '05 which is more than a year out of factory warranty. They told me I could get a GMPP if the car had less than 100,000 km (about 62,000 mi) -- which mine did not.

smithb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

This is from the GMPP website:
    Administration Process
    Do I have to buy a service or maintenance contract at the time of vehicle purchase?
    It depends. Vehicle service contracts may be purchased at any time while the manufacturer's warranty is still in effect. After the warranty has expired, a vehicle service contract may be purchased only at the time of vehicle purchase. Vehicle maintenance contracts can be purchased at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by smithb View Post
    This is from the GMPP website:
    Administration Process
    Do I have to buy a service or maintenance contract at the time of vehicle purchase?
    It depends. Vehicle service contracts may be purchased at any time while the manufacturer's warranty is still in effect. After the warranty has expired, a vehicle service contract may be purchased only at the time of vehicle purchase. Vehicle maintenance contracts can be purchased at any time.
    Yeah, I read that too. Then I called the dealer and they seemed willing to sell it to me anyway so long as the mileage was low enough. When I called I was very clear that I had bought the vehicle from a private party and there was no factory warranty remaining on the vehicle.

If it's worth having it's worth asking for. It can't hurt to ask.

louisn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 srx V-8 awd

GMPP and maintenance contracts are very different animals. Dealer can not sell the GMPP (covers almost everything) once the factory warranty expires according to the GMPP and my experience.
    Maintenance contracts cover inspections and oil changes in my experience--not major repairs. Don't confuse the two.

I can't imaging why a maintenance contract would be limited by mileage. I specifically asked for GMPP.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.