Tire size difference? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Tire size difference? in Cadillac SRX Forums; Cone.....I can't argue about the looks. Because the staggered front/rear sizes cannot be rotated, I will have to buy another ...
    PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

Re: Tire size difference?

Cone.....I can't argue about the looks.

Because the staggered front/rear sizes cannot be rotated, I will have to buy another set of fronts when the ones on the car are worn out.....until the rears catch up and need to be replaced. Check out the current wholesale prices on the oem Michelin HXMXM4 tires which were replaced on my 2007 CPO before delivery.....$237 fronts and $240 rears, each, without taxes and mounting/balancing! While I have always had very few and minor complaints about the Michelins I had on previous cars (4), the brand is the high priced spread. There are other quality brands out there whose specific attributes more closely match my driving preferences, whose consumer rating is higher, and cost less. If I can find them in my SRX size.

Would you replace the Michelin fronts and ride out the rears until the grave, or just replace all 4 and throw out those expensive Michelins on the rear with half the tread life left? Like many on this forum, I don't like to throw out money....better spent on the Sport grill I wish I had.

n7don_srx is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac '07 SRX-V6 RWD, '03 Envoy, '95 S10 pu

Quote Originally Posted by PJ1520 View Post
    Because the staggered front/rear sizes cannot be rotated, I will have to buy another set of fronts when the ones on the car are worn out.....until the rears catch up and need to be replaced.
    This is an interesting departure from my '07. The rears are just about worn out at 31k while the fronts probably have another 10-15k left. Rear tire wear is reasonably uniform however I plan on getting it aligned after I replace the tires.
    At this point my plan is to replace the rears now and the fronts when they wear out. Not sure what tire I'll chose at this point but agree the OEM Michelins are the high priced spread and I haven't been completely satisfied with their ride qualities. Very harsh at factory recommended inflation pressures.

N7......rear tire wear faster than the fronts.....curious situation since the front to back weight distribution of the SRX fairly even and the AWD distributes the drive wheel pressures front and rear. The fronts have to absorb all of the turning forces. My wife's cars, one car after another, one set of tires after another.....the fronts go first on the outer edges, even with correct inflation levels, even with a near 50/50 weight distribution. For her it is a matter of taking the exit ramps enthusiastically. Let's not get into what my son did driving our cars yesteryear, unbeknown to us. Wink wink. Nod nod.

n7don_srx is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac '07 SRX-V6 RWD, '03 Envoy, '95 S10 pu

My past experience has been fronts wear faster than rears given our driving style. But the SRX has been the reverse. To clarify, it's not AWD. It is my wife's car but she isn't an aggressive driver.

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

I would not ride out tires just IMO.

Also before changing tires keep in mind the load range as it changes huge between brands/models and since so many of our members are very concerened about every little number it may supprise you as too how much the load range can change.

I went to the CrossContact UHP and love them, 255 all around. These have a higher load index than the Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 as well as a higher treadwear as the Michelin is only 300 and that will wear fast.

Now a higher treadwear will offer less grip for sure but no way in the world will I notice, she will roll before I run out of grip and if I do find myself in an udersteer condition then I best get my foot out of it and ease off a touch.

Understeer can also be helped by turning less so the tires can regrip the road then add more steering back in, if you are understeering and turn more it will just make it worse and bon't pile on the brakes as now the front tires have do two things.

And the Continental has pretty impressive bad weather grip to boot!

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

We have been very happy so far in the rain, nice tread as well so they are quiet.

Bad weather well I have winter tires for that so I would think they suck in the snow but they are a summer tire so I would expect them to suck.

Maybe the reason I look at everything different is the 10 years of AutoX and RallyX I have done, I base my opinions on real world racing and driving not what is written or should work in reviews or forums.

At the end of the day to each thier own.

pitsuim is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX-1 3.6 '2k9 euro

I have 3.6 with 235/60/18 front and 255/55/18 rear oem, now install 255/50/20 front/rear oem, car going harder and slowly with this wheels, i wont install on front 235/55/20 and rear no changes 255/50/20 (i think this combination closer to 18oem). Will it help ease the load on the front suspension and will not break if the correct operation of car? (sorry for my eng!)

Tire Size Calculator
    oem 3.6L - 235/60/18 front, 255/55/18 rear

from the online tire size calculator

thik about it 235/55/20 front, 255/50/20 rear

from the online tire size calculator

pitsuim is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX-1 3.6 '2k9 euro

235/55/20 front and 255/50/20 rear is better than 255/50/20 front wheels for 3,6L - the car became faster and maneuverable, steering wheel rotates easier, kept on the road when rut of asphalt, front magnetic ride absorber reacts is softer while driving bumps, no rubbing front wheels. The behavior of car as a 18 oem.
    (sorry for my english if some mistakes)

Stillrollin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX AWD V-6

Just about any tire is going to be better than the GY RSA's. If you are replace all around, I suggest checking with tire rack on the tires size that YOU
    desire to see which has the best reviews for your vehicle. Regarding the 235 vse. 255 width, if you go with the same size on both ends, you will see a slight difference in turn in when driving on roads with a lot of slow speed turns. This will be true regardless of which you choose.
    I'm running 255-50-20 Firestone Destination ST's and ran them last winter and parked the stock 17's in my storage shed since past experience jhas proven those RSA's to be practically useless in even moderate snow and ice. Since both differentials and the transfer case are "open" units there is no problem with which size tire goes where. Just one look at the spare which is considerably smaller in diameter than even the 235-17's lets you know that the open diffs will compensate.

SLCLK500 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 SRX V6 (& the two MBZ in my ID)

Quote Originally Posted by Cadyman77 View Post
    ok just to throw my two cents in i have 2004 awd v8 summer tires are 255/55/20s all around winters 255/55/18s....... my wifes has 235/65/18 front and back too with the v6 awd
    no problems best way is to bring your rims in off the car no hassle....... just we all are clear 255 and 235 are wight not height they are puting a narrower tire on the fronts of these cars
    Just to be further clear, "wight" = width, not weight.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.