04 SRX Check Engine light ????
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, 04 SRX Check Engine light ???? in Cadillac SRX Forums; Hello - This site is great. Just signed up and love it. I bought an 04 SRX 4.6 AWD yesterday. ...
    04-SRX-NH is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX

04 SRX Check Engine light ????

Hello - This site is great. Just signed up and love it.

I bought an 04 SRX 4.6 AWD yesterday. The carfax was clean as can be and the car seems to be very well cared for. I filled the gas yesterday with Mobile 93 octane and went for a inspection sticker. Got the sticker with ease and 10 minutes later the check engine light comes on. The funny thing is the same thing happened to my truck ten minutes after I got the inspection sticker for that.

Can anyone tell me how to reset the check engine light ?

Thanks in advance, Phil

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

nstar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 99 Eldo ETC 04 SRX V8 AWD 13 XTS

Re: 04 SRX Check Engine light ????

Check gas cap to make sure it tight. You will have to go thru several start cycles to clear light unless you want dealer to read codes and clear.

Fyreman235 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 SRX n* lx/perf

I had a check-engine that was intermittent and eventually became solid. It was diagnosed as bad catalytic converters, and they were both replaced, fortunately under the cpo warranty in spite of 70k miles. I hope that the gas cap solves your problem. I don't know if the converters are part of the power train warranty or not, but they could be expensive.

thunderbyrd01 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): srx

Very well could be the gas cap, I've experienced that one, just remove the cap and place it back snug, also if you dont have a diagnostic scanner you can swing by Autozone or Advance Auto Parts and they will read the code at no cost but I'm fairly sure the light has to be on at the time they plug your car in to the diag scanner. If its running fine it probably isnt anything too major. Could it have anything to do with the grade of gas you used if it had previously been getting 87 ? I dont know if that would do it, just asking.

n7don_srx is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac '07 SRX-V6 RWD, '03 Envoy, '95 S10 pu

If you have an active onstar account they can tell you the likely cause. My only experience using this on another vehicle they wouldn't give the actual code but "suggested" I check the gas cap. I generally turn it 3 clicks but for some reason hadn't on the last fill.
    Many have bought codes readers so you can do your own checking. Once a trouble code is set it's stored in the history of the ecm, even if the light goes out, and generally doesn't clear until a certain number of fault-free cycles have occurred. Some of the code readers can read what's stored in the pcm's history.
    It is strange it happened twice after the inspection. What did you determine the cause for your truck's problem?

Paulie Walnuts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

here you go - get to an Autozone parts store - give the kid a couple bucks as a thanks - they'll check your codes for free. True story - 136K miles - got an oil change at Mobil (1st time not at the dealer) 2 miles down the road my 1st check engine light. Autozone clerk pulled the code - realized it was a vacumm hose not reconnected under the air filter. He reconnected it. Done deal.

04-SRX-NH is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX

Thanks so much for the replys. I went to AutoZone and It was a Mis-Fire which they said could have been from sitting a couple months. I put some fuel injector cleaner in it and it's been fine ever since. Thanks again

I always use 93 octane also.

SRXman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 SRX V8; 05 Escalade; 06 STS 1SG, V8

This has been said, so you will probably get from more than me... you can use 93 octane if you choose, but the 04 NorthStar is designed to run on regular gas. There are plenty of active threads on this, but my take on this is... you are pouring extra pennies, dollars down your tank instead of in your pocket. my 2 cents...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.