Gas Cap Check Engine Light
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Gas Cap Check Engine Light in Cadillac SRX Forums; My check engine light came on recently in my '04 V6 SRX. I took it to Auto Zone and they ...
    mayday is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Gas Cap Check Engine Light

My check engine light came on recently in my '04 V6 SRX. I took it to Auto Zone and they said I needed a new gas cap. I bought a new one and installed but the light is still on. Is this the kind of thing that has to be reset by the dealer for the check engine light to go off?
    Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Northern SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-4 3.6 & 2008 SRX-4 V6

Re: Gas Cap Check Engine Light

Quote Originally Posted by mayday View Post
    My check engine light came on recently in my '04 V6 SRX. I took it to Auto Zone and they said I needed a new gas cap. I bought a new one and installed but the light is still on. Is this the kind of thing that has to be reset by the dealer for the check engine light to go off?
    Thanks.
    Give it a couple of days after the gas cap swap before you conclude anything.

carguy2009 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Seville/2008 SRX

FYI I had the same indication, gas cap didn't fix it. Took it to the dealer and they replaced some sort of vent valve on the gas tank canister. In my case the indication was intermittent and then became continuous.

RFGal is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

How much did they charge you to replace? My '05 SRX threw two codes, P0446 - EVAP Vent Solenoid Valve Control System and P0496 - Evap System Flow During Non-Purge. Dealer charged me $800 for labor, and $87.95 for parts.

nstar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 99 Eldo ETC 04 SRX V8 AWD 13 XTS

Wouldn't this be covered under emissions warranty? I have 04 and GM sent letter 4 years ago and said that if gas cap failed they would replace and about a year ago it was replaced because it wouldn''t tighten right.

RFGal is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

My problem was not a gas cap issue, specifically the EVAP items specified. My warranty booklet states that there are only three SPECIFIC emission control components covered for the first 8 yrs or 80,000 miles: 1) catalytic converters; 2) ECU unit; and 3) onboard emissions diagnostic device or computer (OBD). For 1995 and newer model warranties, emission control and emission-related parts are only warranted for the first 2 years or 24,000 miles.
    I'm trying to determine if I have any recourse against the GM dealer that did the work, specifically at this point trying to determined whether $800 (just for labor) seems excessive. Also, please consider that I have had my catalytic converter(s) replaced 3 times in the past year (at no cost to me -- first 2 went bad when vehicle was under original warranty) -- and it seems quite possible that this issue may have been diagnosed from day 1. Could the evap issue likely have been the fault all along for the bad converters, (burning excess gas reaks havik on the emission system?) May have just been slowly getting worse and worse before being diagnosed properly?? The dealer could never give me a reason WHY the converters were going bad -- just said they were surprising throwing the "bad cc" code, and would replace for free (which they did).

I called GM customer service specifically regarding this latest issue (that I thought the cc's and this service were related), and they told me that because I purchased the vehicle used -- there's nothing they can do for me. I purchased used from this same GM dealer with 44,253 miles on it (still under warranty).

Does anyone have a recommendation on where I can go from here?
    Thanks!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.