05, Transmission Hot Idle Engine
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, 05, Transmission Hot Idle Engine in Cadillac SRX Forums; SO we purchased the 2005 N*AWD Feb 09 and it stayed in the garage (except for the odd drive to ...
    Jake's SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 09 silverado CC,SRX (N*), 07 Silverado crew 4X4, 2000 Impala

05, Transmission Hot Idle Engine

SO we purchased the 2005 N*AWD Feb 09 and it stayed in the garage (except for the odd drive to ensure it didn't forget what it was supposed to do) it had 55K miles and started it;s daily use 3 months later. Had an issue in july with the torque converter and it was replaced. However there was issues in getting one so we ended up driving the truck for about 1800 miles on the bad converter. when they changed it Aug 7, 2009 we had them service the transmission since the TC work was being done . So last Saturday we were out for a shopping trip (short drive maybe 50 miles one way) and on the way home we had some stop and go driving and had the transmission hot idle engine come over the DIC, so we let it cool off and continued. Thought nothing off it just odd. So today we did the same trip today and guess what, same stop and go driving same DIC warning on the tranny temp. No sport shifting just normal slow down rearly stop then speed up driving due to volume on the road.
    Do you think that the 1800 miles we put on it with the bad torque converter(TC) is coming back to haunt us?
    We were instructed that the BAD TC would not affect the health of the transmission. So we do have GMPP and pretty sure the repair will be covered but we purchased this unit because one of the things we were told was we would get easily 120K miles out of this vehicle. I don't doubt that but I guess we should have asked at what cost???
    Are we being to critical thinking that replacing a TC and 3 months later looking at a transmission is to much? We like the truck but common what will be next.

Well it goes in to the dealer probably Tuesday for them to look at it and do the diagnostics. My diagnostics is sloppy shifting, vibration at about 1950 rpm, sport shifting not working correctly, the downshift when in drive is abrupt at times , shift from 2 to 3 is somewhat harsh not enough for whiplash. Please give me your insights.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: 05, Transmission Hot Idle Engine

More info for this, the transmission oil life is down to 88% with just 2400 miles on the new oil and filter. what is this sensor looking at? Does it sense impurity or engine starts?

Spyke is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6L VVT

Quote Originally Posted by Jake's SRX View Post
    More info for this, the transmission oil life is down to 88% with just 2400 miles on the new oil and filter. what is this sensor looking at? Does it sense impurity or engine starts?
    It only means one thing, when they changed the transmission fluid, they didn't reset the OLM, simple as that!

I think, forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think its looking at vehicle loads, transmission fluid temperature, maybe time of use...

I'm more familiar of the Oil life monitor for the engine oil than the transmission fluid.

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

This used to happen to us in an 03 Duramax pulling the trailer on a hot day.

So that being said what can cause temp in the tranny?

Lack of oil
    Lack of oil flow
    Wrong oil
    Cooler airflow
    Excess load on the car (but this would show up and slugish and bad mileage)

If the oil life is dropping fast maybe it is just seeing high temps all the time and it is coming down fast, ours is at about 70% and we have 55k on the odo.

Thanks for the replies, I know the TOLM was reset in Aug. Not pulling anything But I did gain 10 lbs over the summer but don't think that's it. I cant check the level so I will trust when they look at it they will tell me the real level.
    What's your thoughts on the driving with the Bad TC , could this have effected the tranny?

Nothing blocking the cooler...

Thanks again for the replies, it off to the dealer tomorrow.

Update:
    It is at the dealer as of this past Monday evening. The service adviser called me to let me know that it appears the thermostat in the transmission oil system is defective and needs replacement. we were cut short so I couldn't clarify what they found as the cause. he said they are dropping the pan tomorrow to replace it.

Any Transmission GURU's here? Would the Torque Converter failure send bits through the transmission?

jrutsrx40 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

I have a 2004 SRX and I am receiving the "Transmission Hot Idle Engine" message as well. I sent the car in for service. They changed the cad converter and fixed the recalled shift issue. When I turn the car on the "service engine soon" light comes on. I drove the car about 20 miles and the message came on again. I don't understand why Cadillac which is where I took the car didn't fix the issue. I am concerned that with the trans running hot I will need to replace the transmission even if they fix the issue. What can cause this alert? I'd like to tell Cadillac so they can stop giving me back the car and it's not fixed.

glake89 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

Well, you've got DTCs that weren't addressed. They may have occurred after you picked up the car.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.