Programming New FOBs for 2004 SRX
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Programming New FOBs for 2004 SRX in Cadillac SRX Forums; I bought 2 new FOBs for my wifes' 2004 SRX. The manual says to go to the dealer. How do ...
    dpg1594 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac SRX

Programming New FOBs for 2004 SRX

I bought 2 new FOBs for my wifes' 2004 SRX. The manual says to go to the dealer. How do you program the FOBs without the dealers help?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

thunderbyrd01 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): srx

Re: Programming New FOBs for 2004 SRX

I too have had the same situation, (05 srx) I did what I think is alot of research on this subject. Whats needed to program them is whats called a "Tech-Tool" , the only ones I know of who would have this "tool" are the dealers and locksmiths (I called around, some had one and some didnt) So I went on Ebay thinking I would purchase one and resell back afters but it was pricey. Used from $ 1,995 up to $3,995 for a new one. A locksmith is the less expensive route, good luck.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

You can buy a $4,000 scan tool with the latest software and program it yourself or find someone who has a Tech 2 and pay them to do it for you.
    You cannot program key fobs without a Tech 2, maybe an aftermarket scanner could but I don't know of any.

Professor Wizard is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX-4 Sport / TriCoatWhite

Most real Lock Smiths have the programming tool today, and can do that for you for far less then the dealership.

You can actually thank Audi for that, because the Lock Smiths Union sued Audi back in 2000 over having dealer-only proprietary locking systems and won!

Ok.. so here is some information I found via Google that might help you though...

This is from: http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/cad99escrke.html#prog

================================================== =

(This is actually for Escalade, but it might work.)

Reprogramming Transmitter - Model Year 2002 and Newer

1. Method 1 - (Tech-2 Scan Tool Required) Install a scan tool.
    2. Turn the ignition ON, with the engine OFF.
    3. Use the scan tool in order to access the Body Control Module (BCM) Special Function: Program Key Fobs menu.
    4. Follow the directions on the scan tool in order to program the transmitters.
    5. Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation.

1. Method 2 - (No Tools Required) Close all the vehicle doors.
    2. Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder.
    3. Press and hold the door unlock switch.
    4. While holding the door lock switch in the unlock position, cycle the ignition ON, OFF, ON, OFF.
    5. Release the door unlock switch. The doors will lock and unlock to confirm the program mode.
    6. Press and hold the LOCK button and the UNLOCK button simultaneously on one transmitter. After a delay of approximately 15 seconds, the doors will lock and unlock to confirm the programming of that transmitter.
    7. Repeat the previous step to program up to four transmitters.
    8. Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position in order to exit the keyless entry transmitter mode.
    9. Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation.

Reviving Dead Key Fobs

If you suspect the key fob itself isn�t working, the dealership's parts department has a device that will check to see if it is indeed functioning properly - if you have a frequency counter you can check it as well, to see if it is indeed transmitting - output is in the 318-320 MHz range. The couple that I've check have been 318.989 & 319.076 MHz - note that no matter which button you press (light, unlock, lock, trunk open, etc.) the transmit frequency does not change.

If they're still not working (after installing fresh batteries) and you feel like messing around with it a little, take the key fob totally apart and clean the contact points behind the rubber membrane and the brass etchings on printed-circuit (PC) board - this may be just enough to bring it back to life! Moisture intrusion and the resulting corrosion on the contacts is usually the culprit in a lot of "not working" situations.

===============================

Here is another sources idea.

This procedure for Vehicles year prior to 2005..
    1. Close all vehicle doors.

2. Insert the key into the ignition.

3. Hold down the power UNLOCK button on the driver’s door panel-continue to hold
    down until instructed to release in step 9.

4. Perform steps 5 through 8 in fairly rapid succession.

5. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (as far as you can go without starting the
    engine).

6. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.

7. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.

8. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.

9. Release the power unlock button on the door panel. The vehicle will lock and unlock
    the doors automatically.

10. Hold down the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the transmitter simultaneously until
    the door locks and unlocks.
    This step may take up to 30 seconds.

11. Repeat step 10 NOW for each additional transmitter (including any existing
    transmitters).

12. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position in order to exit the transmitter programming
    mode.

This Procedure for Vehicles with
    Driver Information Center Buttons

This information is in your Owners Manual in the
    Drivers Information Center Section.

1. Insert Key and turn to ON position so you can access Driver Information Center

2. Press the vehicle information button until
    PRESS TO RELEARN REMOTE KEY displays

3. Press the set/reset button until
    REMOTE KEY LEARNING ACTIVE displays

4. Press and hold the lock and unlock buttons on the first keyless remote at the same
    time for approximatley 15 seconds. A chime will sound indicating that the remote is
    programmed.

5. To program additional remotes at this time repeat step 3.
    This vehicle can have a maximum of eight remotes programmed.
    6. To exit programming mode turn key off and remove key.
    Test remote(s).

Use this Procedure for Vehicles without
    Drivers Information Center Buttons

To access this display, the vehicle must be in Park (P) with key in the on position (as far
    as you can go without cranking engine)

1. Press the trip odometer reset stem until RELEARN REMOTE KEY displays.

2. Press and hold the trip odometer reset stem for three seconds.
    The message REMOTE KEY LEARNING ACTIVE will display

3. Press and hold the lock and unlock buttons on the first keyless remote at the same
    time for approximately 15 seconds. A chime will sound indicating that the remote is
    programmed.

4. To program additional remotes at this time repeat step 3.
    This vehicle can have a maximum of eight remotes programmed.

5. To exit programming mode turn key off and remove key.
    Test remote(s).

MartinR is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX

So did anybody actually get to try this procedure on a 2004 SRX? I called around and found a locksmith that would order the FOB but could not programm. He stated go to dealer for programming. Found another AM reseller through Keyless Ride site and they can program the FOB? Now I am confused. In same situation bought used 2004 SRX N* AWD with only 1 set of keys and want second set.

New set from dealer with programming for Key and FOB $220.00. Blank Key from locksmith $30.00 Prog to car $20.00. Fob cost $77.00. FOB from Keyless local dealer $79.00 and $20.00 to program. So I can get new key from Locksmith for total of $50.00. New FOB from Keyless for $99.00. THis is about $70.00 cheaper than dealer in Durham NC. Hendrick Automall.

Please let me know if there is another route to get new key and FOB cheaper.

jsiddall is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 SRX V8 AWD Sport, 06 STS V8, 05 SRX V8 AWD, 97 STS

I have the service manual and it says you need the tech-2 to program the fobs. If there is another procedure it is not documented by GM.

That being said I just went to eBay and bought a fob, then took it to the dealer (along with the existing ones -- they need to program them all simultaneously) and asked them to program it.

They charged 0.5 hrs shop time which worked out to a lot more than the cost of the new fob. Not cheap, but less than a $4000 tech-2.

dieseldust is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX

I would like to find out if any one had any luck with the Escalade with out the scan tool

Cheers
    Jim

silversport is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Escalade Gone**2008 SRX4 V6

I would think you could thank the locksmiths union for suing Audi but thanks for the information...

Bill

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.