Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Programming New FOBs for 2004 SRX in Cadillac SRX Forums; I bought 2 new FOBs for my wifes' 2004 SRX. The manual says to go to the dealer. How do ...
I too have had the same situation, (05 srx) I did what I think is alot of research on this subject. Whats needed to program them is whats called a "Tech-Tool" , the only ones I know of who would have this "tool" are the dealers and locksmiths (I called around, some had one and some didnt) So I went on Ebay thinking I would purchase one and resell back afters but it was pricey. Used from $ 1,995 up to $3,995 for a new one. A locksmith is the less expensive route, good luck.
You can buy a $4,000 scan tool with the latest software and program it yourself or find someone who has a Tech 2 and pay them to do it for you.
You cannot program key fobs without a Tech 2, maybe an aftermarket scanner could but I don't know of any.
(This is actually for Escalade, but it might work.)
Reprogramming Transmitter - Model Year 2002 and Newer
1. Method 1 - (Tech-2 Scan Tool Required) Install a scan tool.
2. Turn the ignition ON, with the engine OFF.
3. Use the scan tool in order to access the Body Control Module (BCM) Special Function: Program Key Fobs menu.
4. Follow the directions on the scan tool in order to program the transmitters.
5. Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation.
1. Method 2 - (No Tools Required) Close all the vehicle doors.
2. Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder.
3. Press and hold the door unlock switch.
4. While holding the door lock switch in the unlock position, cycle the ignition ON, OFF, ON, OFF.
5. Release the door unlock switch. The doors will lock and unlock to confirm the program mode.
6. Press and hold the LOCK button and the UNLOCK button simultaneously on one transmitter. After a delay of approximately 15 seconds, the doors will lock and unlock to confirm the programming of that transmitter.
7. Repeat the previous step to program up to four transmitters.
8. Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position in order to exit the keyless entry transmitter mode.
9. Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation.
Reviving Dead Key Fobs
If you suspect the key fob itself isn�t working, the dealership's parts department has a device that will check to see if it is indeed functioning properly - if you have a frequency counter you can check it as well, to see if it is indeed transmitting - output is in the 318-320 MHz range. The couple that I've check have been 318.989 & 319.076 MHz - note that no matter which button you press (light, unlock, lock, trunk open, etc.) the transmit frequency does not change.
If they're still not working (after installing fresh batteries) and you feel like messing around with it a little, take the key fob totally apart and clean the contact points behind the rubber membrane and the brass etchings on printed-circuit (PC) board - this may be just enough to bring it back to life! Moisture intrusion and the resulting corrosion on the contacts is usually the culprit in a lot of "not working" situations.
Here is another sources idea.
This procedure for Vehicles year prior to 2005..
1. Close all vehicle doors.
2. Insert the key into the ignition.
3. Hold down the power UNLOCK button on the driver’s door panel-continue to hold
down until instructed to release in step 9.
4. Perform steps 5 through 8 in fairly rapid succession.
5. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (as far as you can go without starting the
6. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
7. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
8. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
9. Release the power unlock button on the door panel. The vehicle will lock and unlock
the doors automatically.
10. Hold down the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the transmitter simultaneously until
the door locks and unlocks.
This step may take up to 30 seconds.
11. Repeat step 10 NOW for each additional transmitter (including any existing
12. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position in order to exit the transmitter programming
This Procedure for Vehicles with
Driver Information Center Buttons
This information is in your Owners Manual in the
Drivers Information Center Section.
1. Insert Key and turn to ON position so you can access Driver Information Center
2. Press the vehicle information button until
PRESS TO RELEARN REMOTE KEY displays
3. Press the set/reset button until
REMOTE KEY LEARNING ACTIVE displays
4. Press and hold the lock and unlock buttons on the first keyless remote at the same
time for approximatley 15 seconds. A chime will sound indicating that the remote is
5. To program additional remotes at this time repeat step 3.
This vehicle can have a maximum of eight remotes programmed.
6. To exit programming mode turn key off and remove key.
Use this Procedure for Vehicles without
Drivers Information Center Buttons
To access this display, the vehicle must be in Park (P) with key in the on position (as far
as you can go without cranking engine)
1. Press the trip odometer reset stem until RELEARN REMOTE KEY displays.
2. Press and hold the trip odometer reset stem for three seconds.
The message REMOTE KEY LEARNING ACTIVE will display
3. Press and hold the lock and unlock buttons on the first keyless remote at the same
time for approximately 15 seconds. A chime will sound indicating that the remote is
4. To program additional remotes at this time repeat step 3.
This vehicle can have a maximum of eight remotes programmed.
5. To exit programming mode turn key off and remove key.
So did anybody actually get to try this procedure on a 2004 SRX? I called around and found a locksmith that would order the FOB but could not programm. He stated go to dealer for programming. Found another AM reseller through Keyless Ride site and they can program the FOB? Now I am confused. In same situation bought used 2004 SRX N* AWD with only 1 set of keys and want second set.
New set from dealer with programming for Key and FOB $220.00. Blank Key from locksmith $30.00 Prog to car $20.00. Fob cost $77.00. FOB from Keyless local dealer $79.00 and $20.00 to program. So I can get new key from Locksmith for total of $50.00. New FOB from Keyless for $99.00. THis is about $70.00 cheaper than dealer in Durham NC. Hendrick Automall.
Please let me know if there is another route to get new key and FOB cheaper.