Cruise control
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Cruise control in Cadillac SRX Forums; As I look at the CTS-V steering wheel schematic in http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/doclib.html it appears that it has cruise control on the ...
    mack1a is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS Performance Level 2006 CTS

Cruise control

As I look at the CTS-V steering wheel schematic in http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/doclib.html it appears that it has cruise control on the steering wheel instead of the Mickey the Mope click the stick we find on the SRX. After a 4,000 mile trip I really like the SRX despite all of the nuances I and others have described on this forum. However, I really would like to hear why from the "genius" who made the decision to make cruise control usable on the CTS-V and archaic on the SRX.

Maybe someone can come up with a usable after market (read properly engineered) steering wheel that fixes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

John Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Cruise control

On that same page is a link to the parts list - on page 125 (page 6 of the PDF) are part numbers for four different CTS multifunction steering wheel switches and the associated wiring harnesses. Mass production might mean that behind the steering column and dash where that wiring harness plugs in could be exactly the same for all the sigmas - would be worth talking to a knowledgable tech (one without ruptured eardrums presumably) about the feasability of a swap-out...

JC

Samboosa is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

i like the idea of the cruise control being where it is. i think its so convenient. i dont even need to move my hand and use the steering wheel as a keyboard! i dont even have to look at it to use the cruise control.

I'll bet you never owned a car with it on the wheel where it should be. Ford introduced cruise control on the steering wheel in the late 60s or early 70s. GM finally traded some patents or someting and acquired the right to do the same. You coudn't mean this if you ever had a car with good cruise cotrol. The next time you are at the dealer ask to drive a DeVille and try it, you'll like it. You can get cruise control on a stick in any cheap car you like.

Quote Originally Posted by mack1a
    I'll bet you never owned a car with it on the wheel where it should be. Ford introduced cruise control on the steering wheel in the late 60s or early 70s. GM finally traded some patents or someting and acquired the right to do the same. You coudn't mean this if you ever had a car with good cruise cotrol. The next time you are at the dealer ask to drive a DeVille and try it, you'll like it. You can get cruise control on a stick in any cheap car you like.
    actually i did try one on a mazda. it was 'normal' and sometimes annoying.
    dont know about the one in the deville but this one wasnt a bit better than the stick type.

i prefer the stick type because i see it easier to use (for me at least).

maybe because i have long fingers!

riff is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I actually don't mind the cruise control either and I've had a number of cars with it in the "usual" position.

gman89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I like the cruise control on the stalk, but the rough edge around the button from the mold is kinda cheapo.

rcawood is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Count me in the cruise on the stalk camp (and I have driven several vehicles with it on the wheel). I have never understood the “overburdened” criticism (mainly in the automotive press) of the GM combination cruise, windshield wipers and turn single on one stalk. At least for me it is very intuitive and easy to use without taking my eyes off the road. I particularly don’t like unlighted cruise switches on the steering wheel.

John Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I guess this is a real Coke/Pepsi issue - but for me the turnstalk cruise screams "Grand Am" or "Cavalier" while the steering wheel mounts are much more "Cadillac."

Perhaps if I drank more hot tea I'd have the necessary pinkie-finger dexterity this cheap Pontiac Sunfire turnstalk version requires (since I want to keep both hands on the wheel)? Maybe I'd appreciate it more? ... hmmm ... let me think ... NOT.

Oh well, to each his own.

Thank you John Caddy, looks like we have another SRX driver who has opted to move on from the old familiar 1982 Buick his grandmother used to drive.

Earlier rcawood replied "the GM combination cruise, windshield wipers and turn single on one stalk. At least for me it is very intuitive and easy to use without taking my eyes off the road. I particularly don’t like unlighted cruise switches on the steering wheel."

1. Who mentioned un-lighted? The CC buttons on a DeVille are very well lit up at night.

2. Sorry to tell you that the SRX pulled the wiper controls off of the "stalk" so they didn't even regress well. Also don't see any lighting on the stalk.

The cruise control is just the leading edge of the many regressions this car exhibits. Another example of regression is the loss of power tilt and telescoping steering. GM has been using the same control that the SRX uses to move the pedals to operate the steering wheel tilt and telescope functions on other Cadillacs and Corvettes. Instead of power tilt/telescope, we get a pedal in-out function that I use at least once a year. Maybe never again since both memories are now programmed. Yes I have tilt. I have a manual tilt that puts me right back to the 82 Buick. Frankly I would trade power pedals for power tilt/telescope any day.

You must pivot the driver car relationship around the fixed steering wheel front to back position by moving the seat and pedals to suit. A telescoping and tilting steering wheel allows a driver to alter their position relative to the dash and imparts conveniences such as a steering wheel exit position. In addition, the steering wheel tilt/tele can be adjusted to suit or to help fight fatigue while under way.

Ifsthey had retained a telescoping/tilt wheel allong with moveable pedals we would have something really creative and worthwhile as a driver could far better personalize their position relative to the vehicle.

Again , I really like the SRX. It is an outstanding car, it could have been a spectacular car.

Quote Originally Posted by mack1a
    a pedal in-out function
    FINALLY! Someone spoke of how useless this feature is! No matter how fancy it looks.

Johnz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I agree that he SRX should have a power tilt and telescopic wheel but In my case, I have a company car so when I'm not working my wife and I both use this car. Although we never change the position of the wheel, the pedals change every time.

Great car!

Still say they wasted a good button (Tilt/Tele) on a mediocore function.

rcawood is offline Cadillac Owners Member

[QUOTE=mack1a]
    Earlier rcawood replied "the GM combination cruise, windshield wipers and turn single on one stalk. At least for me it is very intuitive and easy to use without taking my eyes off the road. I particularly don’t like unlighted cruise switches on the steering wheel."

1. Who mentioned un-lighted? The CC buttons on a DeVille are very well lit up at night.

2. Sorry to tell you that the SRX pulled the wiper controls off of the "stalk" so they didn't even regress well. Also don't see any lighting on the stalk."
    [End QUOTE=mack1a]

Clearly I am the one who mentioned unlighted. I also (clearly) did not state the Deville cruise is unlighted. There are steering wheels with unlighted cruise controls (I owned one) and I expressed my dislike for that set-up.

I also thought I was clear on why a stalk works for ME (I don't have to take my eyes off the road). It therefore follows I have no need for a light if I don't need to look at the control in order to operate it.

People have different prefences as illustrated by other coments supporting both the stalk and steering wheel placement. There is no "right or wrong" answer in matters of preference.

As to the un-lighted comment. No you didn't mention whether the DeVille is lighted or un lighted. You just referred to un-lighted buttons and I related that my reference point (the DeVille) is lighted. I checked on my SRX and realized your comment must have been motivated by the fact that the buttons on the SRX wheel are not lit. That appears to be just another deliberate lowering of expectations.

I don't have to take my eyes off of the road to operate the DeVille and for that matter, I rerely have to move my hand while in cruise mode. I normally toggle the CC buttons to cope with people who can't maintain a constant speed or the idiot who creeps up on you in the other lane at something like a .5 MPH differential and forces you to either break speed because of a slower car in front of you or accelerate and pass then resume normal speed once you have built some distance between yourself and the Dilbert.

Yes each to his own but I just hate to see the cheapening of the brand.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.