Cadillac Owners Forum banner
60K views 156 replies 68 participants last post by  stagrlee 
#1 ·
anyone else have an annoying creeking around the sunroof. happends round turns on bumps and such. pisses me off like a lot...poor build quality. got a 98 e320 with 100 thousand miles, and it doesnt make noise ever, thing is a vault....I love my SRX, but creeking and cracking kills me....

#103 ·
stlgasman said:
Mine has started making a noise that appears to emanate on the passenger side neart the front. I would characterize it as a light noise similar to tapping ones fingernails on a hard surface. Is that what everyone else hearing (subjective)? Any fixes that work?
This is what the wifes has for a noise. I brought it in once and it was gone for several weeks, but it came back.

#104 ·
I just got mine back.

The sound as I'd describe it was similar to a geiger-counter - or - as just described, tapping fingernails against glass.

The weather didn't seem to stop it or make it louder.

As this has been the 3rd repair, GM/Cadillac customer service was informed also. The car spent 4 days at the dealer - not being touched cause the duffuses at GM were on 2-week holiday. Once the dealer 'talked' with tech support, they had me come back to the dealer, to help them figure out what the noise was. The dealer put in close to 3 hrs. Then, GM had the car sent to Webasto tech center, about an hr. from the dealer. :rant2:

Webasto had the car just under 2 weeks, the work order wasn't complete when I picked up the car, but, here is a brief list of what was changed out. (Note: this was a mid-yr. build '04.)
a. Entire front glass
b. wind deflector - didn't get a good reason, other than they are making it different now.
c. sun shade - apparently there was a better one made, and currently being installed. (It does seem thicker than the 3mil thick pc of plastic/vinyl they use for the rear storage roll-up cover.)
d. insulation placed between headliner & metal where tracks are.
e. double sided tape
f. New reiforcement bars were added - apparently they weren't available for the '04's.
I'm waiting for the complete breakdown.

Driving home around town = so far no rattle. We'll see if this fix holds.

I'm still getting my pitcher of lemons ready..

#105 ·
All vehicles have body flex of some sort. The big open hole in the top presents some serious problems in this area. It's also why convertibles are always rattle traps with the total lack of bracing from the roof. If you want to hear rattles and squeaks try a Ford Skyliner. Everythings a tradeoff.

#106 ·
JDelorean_srx said:
I just got mine back.

The sound as I'd describe it was similar to a geiger-counter - or - as just described, tapping fingernails against glass.

As this has been the 3rd repair, GM/Cadillac customer service was informed also. The car spent 4 days at the dealer - not being touched cause the duffuses at GM were on 2-week holiday. Once the dealer 'talked' with tech support, they had me come back to the dealer, to help them figure out what the noise was. The dealer put in close to 3 hrs. Then, GM had the car sent to Webasto tech center, about an hr. from the dealer. :rant2:

Webasto had the car just under 2 weeks, the work order wasn't complete when I picked up the car, but, here is a brief list of what was changed out. (Note: this was a mid-yr. build '04.)
a. Entire front glass
b. wind deflector - didn't get a good reason, other than they are making it different now.
c. sun shade - apparently there was a better one made, and currently being installed. (It does seem thicker than the 3mil thick pc of plastic/vinyl they use for the rear storage roll-up cover.)
e. double sided tape
f. New reiforcement bars were added - apparently they weren't available for the '04's.

How is the fix doing?

#107 ·
So far there hasn't been any rattles. Car seems to be 'stiffer' too.

The 'compensation' the gm zone rep promised hasn't arrived yet - so another call to cadillac customer service will occur in the next day or so.

The 1st time the dealer mechanic fixed the rattle, it held for 2-3 months.

Will see if the webasto guys fix helps GM out of a freebie repair - they only paid for the rental car. :bomb:

#109 ·
After many, many, many trips to the dealer the rattling has minimized a little, but the wind noise is way up, and the B pillar has had its trim pulled off so many times from taking off and putting on the roof that it no longer stays up on its own (reminiscent of my 72 Impala with the liner falling down), and after days of rain last week, the rear seat floor has about 1/4 inch of standing water.

How do you spell lemon? I spell it S-R-X. Good luck to all of you - I'm done with this P.O.S. and Cadillac and GM.

#110 ·
JDelorean_srx said:
I just got mine back.

a. Entire front glass
e. double sided tape

Have you gotten the complete breakdown? Is the repair holding?

#111 ·
Has anyone out there tried some powdered graphite on the rubber seal that seals the glass to the body? Yes, I know I should be going to my dealer for this but hell, I fixed my other sun roof problem before so I might as well give this a shot!

From what I can see, barring any loose bolts or brackets, the rubber gasket needs to move easily on the glass. Powdered graphite just might do the trick. I have the creaking sunroof so I'll let you folks know what happens.

Djfcars (Dino Falabrino)

#113 ·
BOTTOM LINE...it would be nice of GM to just figure the problem out, tell us exactly what is. I hear people saying it is the glass meeting the rubber along with that area being part of the structural integrity...or some say its wires hitting the roof, or the headliner. I know its not a loud sound, but once you NOTICE it.... it does get to be annoying. I would like to know exactly what the problem is before i start taking it to the dealer and having problems like some of you have described (headliner wont stay in place anymore because it has been to dealer many times) haha...thats no fun.

#123 ·
I am new to this forum but share many of the same problems . I live in Port Elgin Ontario Canada and bought my 04 SRX in Florida in Jan. 08 the noise you describe is identifeid in a TSB #06-08-67-012 The parts to fix this is cheap .....(40.00) but the time in the shop is what will give you a heart attack it was 12 hrs labour at 90.00 bucks an hour as they have to remove the roof liner and that is what takes the most time.

#122 ·
It's all related to cold weather. As soon as the temps drop below 40 degrees mine starts to make the creaking/rattling noise again. Now that its warmer I have absolutely no noises from the Ultraview. The cold weather must cause the metal in the ultraview housing to expand/contract and then rub up against something to cause the noise. I have an issue with my 1996 Trans Am, where in the winter my front door rubs against the side panel when I open the door, it gets really bad and I have rubbing marks to prove it. Once again, once its 40+ degrees out the rubbing ceases to be an issue. Really kinda weird. Makes you wonder how much cold weather testing GM is doing for the body panels and such related to the expansion/contraction of the metal they use in our cars.

#124 ·
My '06 SRX has this creaking sound too. sounds like two plastic panels rubbing together. It doesn't matter if it is cold or hot (32-90 degrees F). Seems to be worse when the sunshade is retracted. I have silicon lube sprayed all tracks and parts I can get to. seemed to have helped for a day or two.

Dealer says they found a TSB but did cite the number. They are ordering parts. I will report back when I have more info on fix or no fix.

At least they are making an effort to try and resolve this common problem. Luckily I still have some factory warranty left.

Rob

#125 ·
The problem is with the original design tracks for the Ultra-View. Had the same problems with my 04. After about 3 unsuccessful tries by the dealer to remedy the problem, they looked a little deeper and found that there was an "unpublicised" fix by GM. Involved totally replacing all of the tracks and clamps with a different design. After this mine is TOTALLY silent, warm or cold.

Ask your dealer to check this out.

#126 ·
Bill:

Thank you for your reply. My dealer said he is ordering "parts". They should be in by the end of this week. I will print out your reply and take it with me and inquire what parts they ordered. When did you have your repair made? I wonder if the new design was implemented in the '06 and my creak is due to something else. I doubt it, but I am obliged to let them try their fix if it involves parts other than the tracks and clamps you mentioned.

Rob_L

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.