annoying creeking near sunroof - Page 9
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, annoying creeking near sunroof in Cadillac SRX Forums; ...chalk me up for the same issue. Love the vehicle; hate the squeaky, glorious, annoying, incredible ultraview roof. I hope ...
    Starvin48 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac SRX (05)

Re: annoying creeking near sunroof

...chalk me up for the same issue. Love the vehicle; hate the squeaky, glorious, annoying, incredible ultraview roof. I hope somebody someday remedies that issue.

bond2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '07 SRX V8 AWD 20" Sport

It's all related to cold weather. As soon as the temps drop below 40 degrees mine starts to make the creaking/rattling noise again. Now that its warmer I have absolutely no noises from the Ultraview. The cold weather must cause the metal in the ultraview housing to expand/contract and then rub up against something to cause the noise. I have an issue with my 1996 Trans Am, where in the winter my front door rubs against the side panel when I open the door, it gets really bad and I have rubbing marks to prove it. Once again, once its 40+ degrees out the rubbing ceases to be an issue. Really kinda weird. Makes you wonder how much cold weather testing GM is doing for the body panels and such related to the expansion/contraction of the metal they use in our cars.

jsportel is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by Starvin48 View Post
    ...chalk me up for the same issue. Love the vehicle; hate the squeaky, glorious, annoying, incredible ultraview roof. I hope somebody someday remedies that issue.

I am new to this forum but share many of the same problems . I live in Port Elgin Ontario Canada and bought my 04 SRX in Florida in Jan. 08 the noise you describe is identifeid in a TSB #06-08-67-012 The parts to fix this is cheap .....(40.00) but the time in the shop is what will give you a heart attack it was 12 hrs labour at 90.00 bucks an hour as they have to remove the roof liner and that is what takes the most time.

Rob_L is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation

My '06 SRX has this creaking sound too. sounds like two plastic panels rubbing together. It doesn't matter if it is cold or hot (32-90 degrees F). Seems to be worse when the sunshade is retracted. I have silicon lube sprayed all tracks and parts I can get to. seemed to have helped for a day or two.

Dealer says they found a TSB but did cite the number. They are ordering parts. I will report back when I have more info on fix or no fix.

At least they are making an effort to try and resolve this common problem. Luckily I still have some factory warranty left.

Rob

Bill Brummett is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac SRX

The problem is with the original design tracks for the Ultra-View. Had the same problems with my 04. After about 3 unsuccessful tries by the dealer to remedy the problem, they looked a little deeper and found that there was an "unpublicised" fix by GM. Involved totally replacing all of the tracks and clamps with a different design. After this mine is TOTALLY silent, warm or cold.

Ask your dealer to check this out.

Bill:

Thank you for your reply. My dealer said he is ordering "parts". They should be in by the end of this week. I will print out your reply and take it with me and inquire what parts they ordered. When did you have your repair made? I wonder if the new design was implemented in the '06 and my creak is due to something else. I doubt it, but I am obliged to let them try their fix if it involves parts other than the tracks and clamps you mentioned.

Rob_L

Bill Brummett is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac SRX

Rob...

As best I recall, it was about a year ago. Mine is an '04.

Thanks again for your reply. I will report back to this forum on my success, or failure to have this pesky noise eliminated.

Rob_L

jsportel is offline Cadillac Owners Member

There is tech service bulliten #06-08-67-012 that adresses this problem cost me upwards of 750.00 cdn dollars to fix ths as it requires alot of man hours to fix.

Re: annoying creeking near sunroof- update, almost

Thanks for the TSB number
    I just got notice from my dealership that the parts they orders are in to hopefully fix this problem.

I will report back on any success... or failure.

The creak went away in this 90+ degree weather, but it came back last night when the temp went back down to mid 70's and I travelled over some bumpy roads.

Rob_L

GMJim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04,06,10 SRX; 2011/14 CTS Wagon

The best remedy I have found is to utilize your Bose system to the max.
    I hear no creaking.

Snowbird is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have a 2007 SRX and had the same problem. Took it to the dealer and they basically pulled the head liner down and foamed everything they could. It did stop it but they were going to try and break the welds and re weld it. Not a good idea but they didn't have to do that. Anyway, it's fixed. The problems I have had are as follows: Timing chain, new steering box, turned the rotors at 30000 kms or 20000 miles. Now the battery keeps going dead after 3 - 4 days of sitting in the garage. any body had these problems?

Bev1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS

Re: Annoying creaking near sunroof

We have a '94 SRX with the same creaking problem in the sunroof. It's a real turn-off, isn't it? But we've asked around and it appears that the problem is the rails that the assembly rides on. It should have been a recall, but I guess, with all the money problems that GM is having, it isn't in their budget. Our understanding is it can be fixed, but it involves replacing the rail assembly which will cost you about $500. Is it worth it, not for me right now. I love everything else about the car, so unless the creak stops me cold in the middle of the road, I'll live with it for now.

srx05v8 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

my 05 is quiet as the weekend downtown Detroit... My only problem with ultraview is that my 2-year-old daughter gets scared when she rolls her eyes up and sees her own reflection in it...

Thanks for the added info. I have owned my '06 for a year now. It seems that the creak is worse in cold weather. Dealer tried to fix it last summer and it went away until winter. I have avoided going back in because they did "fixed" what they were able to glean from TSB's. With this new info about the rail assembly I will go back in with this info and see what they say. I am still under warranty so it shouldn't cost me anything but time and inconvenience.

Otherwise I have had no other problems and have enjoyed this car.

rob_L

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.