Cadillac Owners Forum banner
60K views 156 replies 68 participants last post by  stagrlee 
#1 ·
anyone else have an annoying creeking around the sunroof. happends round turns on bumps and such. pisses me off like a lot...poor build quality. got a 98 e320 with 100 thousand miles, and it doesnt make noise ever, thing is a vault....I love my SRX, but creeking and cracking kills me....

#2 ·
I also have an annoying creek....just don't think it's coming from the sunroof. Mine creeks when pulling in/out of my driveway, or any driveway, never head on. Just when 1 or 2 wheels make contact first. Sounds like the creeking is coming from the trunk, but who knows!!

Will wait a week or so & see what happens. (It only started last week)

#3 ·
i have the same annoying problem. It sounds like there is something loose up around the sunroof that rattles around when ever i hit a bump or even on slightly rough road. I can't seem to locate the exact location but it is definitly from around the sunroof. Little things like that drive me crazy

#5 ·
Well, my SRX also does this, and I do believe it has everything to do with the sun roof, a very large piece of glass, and a fairly complex design. Mine only does this when I first get in the car, always once, maybe twice, mostly when the two front tires are over a dip, and one is over, the other not yet. Anyway, I think it has to do with the large piece of glass, and with the fact how rigid it is compared to the rest of the car. I am not saying this is an excuse, but this type of roof is complex, and very rewarding. I am not going to complain, anyway, if I am right, no dealer is going to be able to fix the problem. In fact, when I get to the dealer, it will not be doing it by that time. It is a design proble, probably not a manufacturing issue.

John

#8 ·
Part of the reason gm is/has been giving a discount for no-ultra view is because the demand/desire for the roof has been more than double what they anticipated. (Originally 30% were to be ultraview, they are at 70% and climbing..) Hope the supplier can keep up, and still have a quality 'system' - as the entire roof is delivered, to the factory, as one unit. :coolgleam

oh btw, I've just started noticing a sunroof-based rattle, after just over 4k miles. It appears to be coming from the passenger side, above the front door. While traveling I've opened the roof, then closed, and the rattle appears to go away - I really hate to keep turning the sound up, as many dealers will advise with an internitten, non-findable problem.. :drinker

#11 ·
I also have an SRX V8 that has the same noise coming from Ultraview. I have put Armor All on the rubber gaskets that seal the roof and it seems to help some of the. I also put the Armor All on the driver door seals as they sometimes get creaky over bumps. It works. Either way it is unacceptable that a car that cost me almost $60,000 has such noise in the first place.

I did take the SRX to the dealer to look into the noise and they were not able to provide a fix ( of course they could not replicate the noise). One other problem I had was that the Ultraview stopped mid stream as it was closing.

The price we pay for buying first year models !!

#12 ·
I have a 1-month old SRX. I don't have a sunroof but I do get a creeking sound everytime I use my car (it seems to me that it comes from the rear). It happens when I am backing up, when I slow down, and whenever I am making a turn - basically, it comes off whenever I am driving really slow. I brought my car to the dealer and of course, the creeking didn't go away. I am wondering if anyone of you had this experience. I'm really frustrated because I am expecting a really quiet car from the price I've paid. By the way, I already had my 2 front doors fixed because of rattling noises.

#13 ·
I also had my front passenger door fixed, 12 days after taking delivery. Seems they (factory) forgot the insulation in door. Now I am left with an intermittant ticking from same door.

Love the drive, however, I too am not impressed with the fit and finish of this car. Everything, and I mean everything ticks, squeeks or creeks!!!!!!

To avoid the creeking sunroof, have to backup out of driveway straight out, no turning wheels, at a snail's pace. Making a conscious effort now but who knows how long that will last.

Will definately bring all these issues to attention of dealer the next time we go in for service a/o more serious issue.

#14 ·
Folks............Mom just finished her 3 day test of a v-6 SRX w/roof.

Nice vehicle...But she is undecided at this point.
Dealer only wants to give $5k trade for her 98 Deville with 50k miles
on a GM employee deal. Thats what I expected tho.

I noticed the creaking over bumps coming from the roof. Not too
bothersome tho. Funny our Devilles are quiet like bank vaults with
roofs ! Its been pretty rainy here tho. and no leaks.

I had a couple of T/As with t-tops also a 90 Deville w/roof that leaked
like crazy and could never be corrected ! My 96 Deville had NO roof !!!
Only wife NAGGING for one on our 03 and MANY water tests before I
signed on the dotted line to make sure of NO leaks........LOL :hmm:

.........geo

#15 ·
open the sunroof a bit and close it. or maybe keep ur finger up pressing it from the side all the time!

i think it has something to do with the metal expanding from the heat. during the day time this sound is hardly there as the temeprature here hits 45c. it always starts as im getting back from work and durig night time.

thats one big sunroof we got there!

#16 ·
Samboosa said:
open the sunroof a bit and close it. or maybe keep ur finger up pressing it from the side all the time!

i think it has something to do with the metal expanding from the heat. during the day time this sound is hardly there as the temeprature here hits 45c. it always starts as im getting back from work and durig night time.

thats one big sunroof we got there!
I only get the creaking sound with the roof is open, never when it's closed. Everything is quite as can be when the roof is closed. :)

#17 ·
Well, I've had my SRX exactly 9 weeks and thought the "creeky sunroof" would subside/settle in. WRONG!!!

Find it has been creeking more than usual. Can't find any connection to the problem (ie. heat, low speeds, etc.).

Am scheduled for a service next week and wonder if I should push the dealer to look at sunroof or not. Is it fixable? Has anyone had any success with a fix?

Since there are so many people with this problem, has there not been any TSB for this sunroof? Or have people not really complained to Cadillac?

Would like to hear some feedback from other SRX owners.

#22 ·
Finally brought my car in to dealer today to check a couple of things, most importantly creeking sunroof. According to service guy, says it's fixable........
Well, we'll just have to see!

Also doing "Lower Control Arm" recall.

Will let you know, hopefully tomorrow, if any or all of the ticks & creeks disappear!!!!!!

#23 ·
Johnz said:
Took my car in today for the first oil change and I was going to have then look at the creaking thing. Then I noticed it was gone! My wife drives the car mostly so I don't know when it went away. Oh well, we'll see what happens.
Ok, get a load of this. The service dept. at the dealership said they heard the creaking noise but when they checked out a new car on the lot, it did the same thing so they noted on the work ticket "Test drove with a known good one and there are no abnormal noises from the sunroof area or shade" when I spoke to the service rep. he actually tried to defend the statement and then backed off and is writing me another service ticket stating that they heard the noise and it is not normal.

To make a long story short, I was told there are no TSB's for this problem so there is not a fix for it and until there is, they can't do anything about it.

To do nothing with it after hearing it is unexceptable and I am going as high as I can or have to at GM until I get the answer I deserve. I'll let you all know what happens.

#26 ·
i donno maybe i am just fed up with the headache of all the problems and going to the dealer everyday.

but if i find the solution i'll post it for free on the forums! and i will NEVER inform the dealer.

i think we just need some rubber to stick at certain places and it's all solved.

they (the dealer) LUBRICATED it (and lubricated the leather seats while they were at it too - made a real mess for NOTHING).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.