annoying creeking near sunroof - Page 8
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, annoying creeking near sunroof in Cadillac SRX Forums; Originally Posted by JDelorean_srx I just got mine back. The sound as I'd describe it was similar to a geiger-counter ...
    stlgasman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: annoying creeking near sunroof

Quote Originally Posted by JDelorean_srx
    I just got mine back.

The sound as I'd describe it was similar to a geiger-counter - or - as just described, tapping fingernails against glass.

The weather didn't seem to stop it or make it louder.

As this has been the 3rd repair, GM/Cadillac customer service was informed also. The car spent 4 days at the dealer - not being touched cause the duffuses at GM were on 2-week holiday. Once the dealer 'talked' with tech support, they had me come back to the dealer, to help them figure out what the noise was. The dealer put in close to 3 hrs. Then, GM had the car sent to Webasto tech center, about an hr. from the dealer.

Webasto had the car just under 2 weeks, the work order wasn't complete when I picked up the car, but, here is a brief list of what was changed out. (Note: this was a mid-yr. build '04.)
    a. Entire front glass
    b. wind deflector - didn't get a good reason, other than they are making it different now.
    c. sun shade - apparently there was a better one made, and currently being installed. (It does seem thicker than the 3mil thick pc of plastic/vinyl they use for the rear storage roll-up cover.)
    d. insulation placed between headliner & metal where tracks are.
    e. double sided tape
    f. New reiforcement bars were added - apparently they weren't available for the '04's.
    I'm waiting for the complete breakdown.

Driving home around town = so far no rattle. We'll see if this fix holds.

I'm still getting my pitcher of lemons ready..
    How is the fix doing?

JDelorean_srx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '04 srx

So far there hasn't been any rattles. Car seems to be 'stiffer' too.

The 'compensation' the gm zone rep promised hasn't arrived yet - so another call to cadillac customer service will occur in the next day or so.

The 1st time the dealer mechanic fixed the rattle, it held for 2-3 months.

Will see if the webasto guys fix helps GM out of a freebie repair - they only paid for the rental car.

My dealer gave up on the problem, saying that no "official fix" exists yet. Does Cadillac know about the procedure that was performed by Webasto on your car?

John Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

After many, many, many trips to the dealer the rattling has minimized a little, but the wind noise is way up, and the B pillar has had its trim pulled off so many times from taking off and putting on the roof that it no longer stays up on its own (reminiscent of my 72 Impala with the liner falling down), and after days of rain last week, the rear seat floor has about 1/4 inch of standing water.

How do you spell lemon? I spell it S-R-X. Good luck to all of you - I'm done with this P.O.S. and Cadillac and GM.

I just got mine back.

The sound as I'd describe it was similar to a geiger-counter - or - as just described, tapping fingernails against glass.

The weather didn't seem to stop it or make it louder.

As this has been the 3rd repair, GM/Cadillac customer service was informed also. The car spent 4 days at the dealer - not being touched cause the duffuses at GM were on 2-week holiday. Once the dealer 'talked' with tech support, they had me come back to the dealer, to help them figure out what the noise was. The dealer put in close to 3 hrs. Then, GM had the car sent to Webasto tech center, about an hr. from the dealer.

Webasto had the car just under 2 weeks, the work order wasn't complete when I picked up the car, but, here is a brief list of what was changed out. (Note: this was a mid-yr. build '04.)
    a. Entire front glass
    b. wind deflector - didn't get a good reason, other than they are making it different now.
    c. sun shade - apparently there was a better one made, and currently being installed. (It does seem thicker than the 3mil thick pc of plastic/vinyl they use for the rear storage roll-up cover.)
    d. insulation placed between headliner & metal where tracks are.
    e. double sided tape
    f. New reiforcement bars were added - apparently they weren't available for the '04's.
    I'm waiting for the complete breakdown.

Driving home around town = so far no rattle. We'll see if this fix holds.

Have you gotten the complete breakdown? Is the repair holding?

djfcars is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Has anyone out there tried some powdered graphite on the rubber seal that seals the glass to the body? Yes, I know I should be going to my dealer for this but hell, I fixed my other sun roof problem before so I might as well give this a shot!

From what I can see, barring any loose bolts or brackets, the rubber gasket needs to move easily on the glass. Powdered graphite just might do the trick. I have the creaking sunroof so I'll let you folks know what happens.

Djfcars (Dino Falabrino)

I just got mine back.

How are things going with your repair? Anybody else have a permanent fix?

Cullen2020 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

BOTTOM LINE...it would be nice of GM to just figure the problem out, tell us exactly what is. I hear people saying it is the glass meeting the rubber along with that area being part of the structural integrity...or some say its wires hitting the roof, or the headliner. I know its not a loud sound, but once you NOTICE it.... it does get to be annoying. I would like to know exactly what the problem is before i start taking it to the dealer and having problems like some of you have described (headliner wont stay in place anymore because it has been to dealer many times) haha...thats no fun.

J Delorean srx is only one who seems to have a possible fix, but he hasn't posted in while.

Mine's heading back in to try and quiet the Ultraview.

miked is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 11 SRX AWD Turbo, 08 STS V8 RWD

Oddly, after creaking a bit during summer, it stopped completely in the fall, and hasn't come back. Knock on wood.

05SRXV8 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 SRX V8 AWD

I have noticed the creeking now that it is cold outside. I don't remember hearing it this past summer/fall. It seems to come from the passenger front area and sometimes it is a loud crack! At times, I think its from the HVAC system but could be from the sun roof.

RTT
    RTT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS Performance Sedan

Lubrication works wonders.

I have tried lubrication but it only works a short while.

jsportel is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

GM has a technical service bulletin for this repair number 06-08-67-012 Local caddy dealer fixed but it wasn't cheap about 900.00 cdn dollars

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.