annoying creeking near sunroof - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, annoying creeking near sunroof in Cadillac SRX Forums; Originally Posted by Johnz Of course GM is still responsible to make the product acceptable to the consumer. My point ...
    Jmale is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: annoying creeking near sunroof

Quote Originally Posted by Johnz
    Of course GM is still responsible to make the product acceptable to the consumer. My point was that the sunroof comes from a source that makes millions of sunroofs for cars of nearly ever make. So they have a very good track record for making reliable sunroofs. It just so happens that some of the ones installed in the SRX have a problem which I'm sure will be found and fixed over time. GM has a problem with a product that came from one of companies that supply products for their cars.

How can you say that GM didn't test the sunroof? Or are you trying to say that GM knew of the problem and put it on the car anyway? I don't believe GM or Cadillac knowingly installed a product in their cars that will give them a problem. Every auto maker wants to make a car that people like and doesn't have a problem with it at all. Nothing is perfect.

I'm not defending GM here. My SRX is the first GM product I've ever owned. I just don't think for a second that any other auto maker does things any different than GM. As with any other issue on any other car, sometimes things just happen. A part fails, a design is not as good as it could be, etc. Life goes on.

Real world can only be duplicated in real world conditions. A doctor once said to me " I only prescribe medication that has been out for 5-10 years" Do you think drug companies want a PHEN-PHEN or Vioxx drug in their lineup?? I'm using this analogy because on some things you can test all you want but until it gets used by the masses???????????

Largest production moonroof= Growing pains (or growing and shrinking pains with the weather )

keeton is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I thought I would resurrect this thread because my '04 SRX with UltraView developed the creaking and popping when driving up an incline at an angle.

I just got it back from the dealer and their diagosis was the headliner (NOT the sunroof), which they replaced. So far, it seems to have fixed the problem.

It seems that all of the discourse in this thread over sunroof design, supplier quality etc. doesn't apply for this particular problem. This is a relief since I think the UltraView is the single best feature of the SRX - and certainly the most unique.

Has anyone else had their creaking problem solved with the headliner? The dealer turned the repair around pretty quickly which indicates that there was probably a TSB from Cadillac. Anyone know?

DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I know my dealer had removed the headliner to get at the Ultraview track, but I do not think anything was done with the headliner.

The creaking is pretty much fixed. I am up to 26,000 miles on our '04 ( Novemeber '03 build date) SRX and it just keeps getting better. I am thinking about trading it in for an '06 if the interior is vastly differnt then my '04 and if there are other significant changes. Otherwise, I will run this SRX into the ground !!

Strunzo is offline Cadillac Owners Member

My 05 SRX had a slight rattle in the ultraview above the front passenger door. Took the car to the dealer ( 7215 miles) and it was repaired. It has been 2 weeks and the rattle has not returned.

TurboEL is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Mine is creaking sometimes, open the roof a little bit and then close it can solve the problem TEMPORARILY.

Another noise of creaking can be hear from the RSE screen since few weeks ago.

stlgasman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Mine has started making a noise that appears to emanate on the passenger side neart the front. I would characterize it as a light noise similar to tapping ones fingernails on a hard surface. Is that what everyone else hearing (subjective)? Any fixes that work?

LMM
    LMM is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Angry Re: annoying creeking near sunroof

I have 2005 SRX V8, build date is 06/2004 and I do have rattling noise from right side when sunroof is open every time I go over uneven road surface.
    I went to the dealer and they took off sunroof (at least Service department manger told me so) and then reassembled everything back (just 4 bolts) and at the time of pickup they told me that everything was fixed and there is no rattling. I even test drove the car with service manager and it seemed that it was fixed but on my way back home just two blocks away from service dept. it started rattling again. I returned back and told the guy about it. Once again service dept. manager went back on the road with me and I was able to demonstrated him this rattling noise and he replied to me that there is nothing they can do about it at this point because mechanic checked everything and didn't find anything that could rattle up there even though they heard it and I gave them TSB number.
    In my opinion City Cadillac dealership (Long Island City NYC Queens) has worst service department I've ever saw, so guys stay away from this dealership even though their prices very hard to beat but then again when you buy $60K car it's not just a car but tech support as well and Cadillac's tech support is far from being on the level, at least that was my experience so far on few dealerships.

stlgasman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by tiranga008
    Ok... the "arms" are on national back order... will get them when we get them...
    What was the result of your ultraview "repair"? Did it solve the problem?

tiranga008 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Nope

cesron7 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Here is what my dealer did for me, AND IT WORKED, I had very loud rattling noises above BOTH back doors, he took the headliner down above the doors, there are cables running the length of the glass, the cables were banging against the frame of the roof, now from here on I was not there to watch what he did for the fix, he did say he tied them together??? what that meant I do not know, but I will say this, he fixed it, it took about one hour, put the headliner back in place, and, no grease marks, this is just one reason I have been buying Cads from this dealer since 1982.

cesron7 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

One other thing, the teck also stated that he put sound deading material aganst the metal part of the roof next to where the cables run, hope this helps you people with the dealers that dont know what to do.

SRX1701 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I had this same problem over the winter, I tried to lub what I could then it got warmer and the noicse went away. I am not really sure why? So the question is are noises coming from cars in the cold weather or hot as well?

DVC-Don is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX V6 AWD - 2006 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by stlgasman
    Mine has started making a noise that appears to emanate on the passenger side neart the front. I would characterize it as a light noise similar to tapping ones fingernails on a hard surface. Is that what everyone else hearing (subjective)? Any fixes that work?
    This is what the wifes has for a noise. I brought it in once and it was gone for several weeks, but it came back.

JDelorean_srx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '04 srx

I just got mine back.

The sound as I'd describe it was similar to a geiger-counter - or - as just described, tapping fingernails against glass.

The weather didn't seem to stop it or make it louder.

As this has been the 3rd repair, GM/Cadillac customer service was informed also. The car spent 4 days at the dealer - not being touched cause the duffuses at GM were on 2-week holiday. Once the dealer 'talked' with tech support, they had me come back to the dealer, to help them figure out what the noise was. The dealer put in close to 3 hrs. Then, GM had the car sent to Webasto tech center, about an hr. from the dealer.

Webasto had the car just under 2 weeks, the work order wasn't complete when I picked up the car, but, here is a brief list of what was changed out. (Note: this was a mid-yr. build '04.)
    a. Entire front glass
    b. wind deflector - didn't get a good reason, other than they are making it different now.
    c. sun shade - apparently there was a better one made, and currently being installed. (It does seem thicker than the 3mil thick pc of plastic/vinyl they use for the rear storage roll-up cover.)
    d. insulation placed between headliner & metal where tracks are.
    e. double sided tape
    f. New reiforcement bars were added - apparently they weren't available for the '04's.
    I'm waiting for the complete breakdown.

Driving home around town = so far no rattle. We'll see if this fix holds.

I'm still getting my pitcher of lemons ready..

dkozloski is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

All vehicles have body flex of some sort. The big open hole in the top presents some serious problems in this area. It's also why convertibles are always rattle traps with the total lack of bracing from the roof. If you want to hear rattles and squeaks try a Ford Skyliner. Everythings a tradeoff.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.