Cadillac Owners Forum banner
60K views 156 replies 68 participants last post by  stagrlee 
#1 ·
anyone else have an annoying creeking around the sunroof. happends round turns on bumps and such. pisses me off like a lot...poor build quality. got a 98 e320 with 100 thousand miles, and it doesnt make noise ever, thing is a vault....I love my SRX, but creeking and cracking kills me....

#130 ·
Re: annoying creeking near sunroof- update, almost

Thanks for the TSB number
I just got notice from my dealership that the parts they orders are in to hopefully fix this problem.

I will report back on any success... or failure.

The creak went away in this 90+ degree weather, but it came back last night when the temp went back down to mid 70's and I travelled over some bumpy roads.

Rob_L

#132 ·
I have a 2007 SRX and had the same problem. Took it to the dealer and they basically pulled the head liner down and foamed everything they could. It did stop it but they were going to try and break the welds and re weld it. Not a good idea but they didn't have to do that. Anyway, it's fixed. The problems I have had are as follows: Timing chain, new steering box, turned the rotors at 30000 kms or 20000 miles. Now the battery keeps going dead after 3 - 4 days of sitting in the garage. any body had these problems?

#133 ·
Re: Annoying creaking near sunroof

We have a '94 SRX with the same creaking problem in the sunroof. It's a real turn-off, isn't it? But we've asked around and it appears that the problem is the rails that the assembly rides on. It should have been a recall, but I guess, with all the money problems that GM is having, it isn't in their budget. Our understanding is it can be fixed, but it involves replacing the rail assembly which will cost you about $500. Is it worth it, not for me right now. I love everything else about the car, so unless the creak stops me cold in the middle of the road, I'll live with it for now.

#135 ·
Thanks for the added info. I have owned my '06 for a year now. It seems that the creak is worse in cold weather. Dealer tried to fix it last summer and it went away until winter. I have avoided going back in because they did "fixed" what they were able to glean from TSB's. With this new info about the rail assembly I will go back in with this info and see what they say. I am still under warranty so it shouldn't cost me anything but time and inconvenience.

Otherwise I have had no other problems and have enjoyed this car.

rob_L

#140 ·
Something in my wife's '08 creaks. I suspect it's the roof but she doesn't care much and I don't spend a lot of time in it. Our '04 (no ultraview) was dead-silent for the 4 years we had it. We got stuck with the ultraview as part of a great deal we got but, frankly, I'd rather have the headroom than the slider.

YMMV

#146 ·
I had the same problem with my 04 SRX and the dealer said there was a TSB and they replaced some bevelled washers, this was abig job as they had to remove the roof liner as well to get at everything. The fixed worked as I have not had any problems since it was fixed 2 years ago.

#147 ·
I have an 09 SRX with 21k miles on it... My Ultra Roof started the "Tapping" Rattle about a month ago.. it started out light.. and is getting worse as time progresses.

Definitely the Roof - - If I press my thumb against the forward left side and use the frame a leverage, I can apply pressure to the glass and the tapping noise will stop.

I guess worst case if if the dealership can't/won't fix it, I could make a rubber wedge and stick it in there when the noise is annoying.

I'll be taking it in soon along with my list of other problems.

I think I bought a lemon - - or at least one of those Friday-end-of-shift cars where the workers were more interested in getting out of work then they were in building a car.

So to answer another question... the Ultra Roof Rattle.. is STILL a problem.

Boy :: Am I glad I bought the Extended Warranty... I have the feeling I am going to be using it.

#149 ·
Would anyone be interested in a kit that provides the Rheosil 500f, the shoes, and brushes to get the roof back in operation. I will be putting some kits together shortly that should be a all inclusive besides the brake cleaner, shop rags and T25 torq tool. They should be posted on ebay in the next week or so.

#152 ·
How are the instructions? Can 1 person complete the job or does the glass have to be removed?

My 2007 is currently silent and opens/closes well, it was serviced in 2011 before I purchased. However I was thinking if doing it preventative, would you recommend that or just wait until it asks for it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.