annoying creeking near sunroof - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, annoying creeking near sunroof in Cadillac SRX Forums; I thought my creek was from the sun visor. Nope, dealer told me an hour ago, it was the famous ...
    ywrotk2006 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: annoying creeking near sunroof

I thought my creek was from the sun visor. Nope, dealer told me an hour ago, it was the famous roof. said they realigned and lubricated it. will see how good the fix is.

avashi is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I made the mistake of having the dealer check out a minor rattle in the sunroof. they also ordered the above parts and now the thing rattles worse, almost every bump. I dont believe techs know how to fix these rattle problems. Ihave a bad rattle in my door which hasnt been fixed on 2 dealer trips and i am going to disasssemble the door myself

tiranga008 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Ok... the "arms" are on national back order... will get them when we get them...

samidj is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Believe it or not, even with the cold/damp weather here in Canada, the creeky sunroof has been extremely quiet. The odd creek here and there, nothing like the noises for the past 6 weeks.

Checked with my dealer here and they said some sort of permanent fix is due very shortly.

Hopefully the New Year will bring an end to all these noisy, creeking sunroofs!!

strindl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by samidj

Hopefully the New Year will bring an end to all these noisy, creeking sunroofs!!

A year late, but better late then never. I drove five or six different SRX's when I was shopping around, and every one with the sunroof rattled. The sunroof on my Lexus has never rattled...heck..nothing on my Lexus has ever rattled.
    If Lexus can do it, why can't Cadillac??

Samboosa is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by strindl
    A year late, but better late then never. I drove five or six different SRX's when I was shopping around, and every one with the sunroof rattled. The sunroof on my Lexus has never rattled...heck..nothing on my Lexus has ever rattled.
    I haven't seen a lexus with a sunroof this size.

I have seen the so called moonroof on the X5 but it is nothing like the SRX. First it comes in 2 pieces not one large piece of glass. And second as it retracts it actually only goes a little more than half the way and stops. Its like they couldn't handle making one large sunroof so they thought lets combine 2 small ones we're used to make that won't rattle.

Johnz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Cadillac didn't put this car out on the market knowing that the sunroof would make a noise just as Lexus does. It just happens that the sunroof made by "Webasto" (Not GM) who makes both OEM and after market sunroofs for car makers world wide (Including Lexus) has a flaw in some of the roofs. While this roof is very new to the market it was devloped and made by probably one of the biggest makers of sunroofs installed in new cars.

syrob@MSN.COM is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Sorry, the blame goes to GM for not testing or not watching the store...

Syrob

Quote Originally Posted by syrob@MSN.COM
    Sorry, the blame goes to GM for not testing or not watching the store...

Syrob
    Of course GM is still responsible to make the product acceptable to the consumer. My point was that the sunroof comes from a source that makes millions of sunroofs for cars of nearly ever make. So they have a very good track record for making reliable sunroofs. It just so happens that some of the ones installed in the SRX have a problem which I'm sure will be found and fixed over time. GM has a problem with a product that came from one of companies that supply products for their cars.

How can you say that GM didn't test the sunroof? Or are you trying to say that GM knew of the problem and put it on the car anyway? I don't believe GM or Cadillac knowingly installed a product in their cars that will give them a problem. Every auto maker wants to make a car that people like and doesn't have a problem with it at all. Nothing is perfect.

I'm not defending GM here. My SRX is the first GM product I've ever owned. I just don't think for a second that any other auto maker does things any different than GM. As with any other issue on any other car, sometimes things just happen. A part fails, a design is not as good as it could be, etc. Life goes on.

strindl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Johnz

I don't believe GM or Cadillac knowingly installed a product in their cars that will give them a problem. Every auto maker wants to make a car that people like and doesn't have a problem with it at all. Nothing is perfect.
    Unfortunatly, I believe GM does exactly that. The rear differential whine for example, has been a problem since the 2003 model year on the CTS, and they are still building them with the defective part at the beginning of the 2005 model year. They MUST know that. There is a fundamental difference in corporate philosophy between GM, and Lexus for example.

Lexus had a few problems in early production year 2004 with a vibration in the drive shaft of their GX470 model. They were made aware of the problem, and fixed it in later 04 vehicles. My GX has a build designation of 9700G, and they started the 04 production at 9700A. That means Lexus has made enough running improvements during the 2004 model year to change the model designation 7 times. GM doesn't do that, they just keep churning out the defective ones, model year after model year.

The SRX Sunroof has been a problem for over a year, and only now are we hearing about a possible fix for it.

ywrotk2006 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

whatever the dealer did to my roof, only worked for about 30 min. it rattles a bit worse, maybe because it's colder now. I guess it'll be a big announcement, in this community at least, when the final fix comes out. i checked out another caddilac forum, an ex-BMW owner says his BMW always had the rattle, and plenty of Armor-all will take care of it, and he thinks it's normal due to the tight fit between the rubber and the glass.

Lexus had a few problems in early production year 2004 with a vibration in the drive shaft of their GX470 model. They were made aware of the problem, and fixed it in later 04 vehicles. My GX has a build designation of 9700G, and they started the 04 production at 9700A. That means Lexus has made enough running improvements during the 2004 model year to change the model designation 7 times. GM doesn't do that, they just keep churning out the defective ones, model year after model year.

The SRX Sunroof has been a problem for over a year, and only now are we hearing about a possible fix for it.
    GM did make changes as the 2004 was made. That's why the earlier built cars have more issues with them.

If you are the one with the problem it never gets fixed fast enough.

samidj is offline Cadillac Owners Member

For the past 2-3 weeks, especially since the temperatures here in eastern Canada have plummeted, my sunroof has been absolutely silent. Not a squeek, creek or rattle (knock on wood!!). Somewhat strange, considering it's been an issue for the past 6 months of ownership.

One would think that along with the sub-zero temps one would experience more creeks & squeeks, especially driving over uneven, snow & ice covered roads. Yet, my SRX has been silent as a mouse.

I believe that the lower tire pressure (32 psi) in my winter tires (Pirelli Ice & Snow) has got to have something to do with the noisy sunroof; also the quality of the Pirelli's as opposed to the Factory Goodyears. What do you think?

I'm looking ahead to the spring, hopefully having a quiet 1st winter with my SRX, and hoping by then there will be a permanent fix for the sunroof.

Or maybe, I'll just leave my winter tires on and enjoy the car!! BTW, the SRX AWD is amazing on ice and snow! I've plowed thru piles of snow & ice without a problem.

I live in the Chicagoland (Illinois) area and maybe the cold weather has something to do with the roof being silent now. Who knows? As for the tires, I have only tried them in the snow twice this year and I think the Goodyears are fine. Are they the best? Of course not but the way they perform now does not warrant shelling out the chunk of money on other tires in the hopes they perform better.

Jmale is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnz
    GM did make changes as the 2004 was made. That's why the earlier built cars have more issues with them.

If you are the one with the problem it never gets fixed fast enough.

Exactly right. Looking at TSB's proves this to be true. Lots of problems early model years. Lots less currently. I bought a , GM certified, built after march
    04' (may 04') specifically because of this.

Only complaint is one creek in moonroof when exiting driveway or turning at speed.Probably would've noticed it if I didn't read it here first.

Cadillac only behind Lexus in quality according to JD powers. 1st model year blues.

I live in Naperville.......see ya around....(Platinum/ebony)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.