Cadillac Owners Forum banner
126K views 480 replies 81 participants last post by  LisaCatera 
#1 · (Edited)
Anything wrong with your SRX out of the box ?????

I'm getting ready to take my 09' SRX to the shop to get those "little things" fixed.

These are the things I hope to have worked on!

NAV/RADIO WILL NOT TURN OFF:

When the Power Button is pressed, instead of the unit going off and “dark”, it goes quiet, and presents a very annoying bright blue screen. Should not be presenting blue screen. Screen should go off and dark when hitting power button off. Current work-a-round is to go Menu/Display/Display OFF then turn Volume Down. This gets annoying sometimes. I have no clue with the dealership will do with this one!

DRIVERS SIDE MIRROR:

Drivers side door mirror has reflection mirror flaws, which cause a ripple in the View. This is annoying and distracting, especially at night. I hope to get GM to replace glass! * NOTE: No – it is not the window tinting or glass, verified with window down.

Also: I'll have the dealer check heating system on Mirror – Drivers Side Mirror takes 3 Times as long to clear fog/mist/ice as passenger mirror, indicating a flaw in the heating system.

TRANSMISSION SHIFT PROGRAMMING:

Transmission down shifts from 5th to 4th way too easily and too often when in drive, especially on the highway with Cruise engaged. With slight acceleration or slight incline without acceleration the car will lurch and downshift. This is actually very dangerous when running with cruise control as it causes the car to lurch forward unexpectedly. Can’t run cruise on highway, if there is the slightest incline, unless you remember to put shifter into sport / manual mode – 5th.

Putting Shifter in M5 stops the annoying down shifting, but then you have to remember to put it back into drive for stops and town driving.

I am hoping the dealership will reprogram computerized transmission shifting parameters.

DRIVERS DOOR DROPS:

Drivers’ door “drops” when Opening. Please adjust so this won’t create problems in the future. The other doors seem to align fine.

WATER DRIPS:

AC drips cold water on Drivers Foot. My Wife expressed concern of damage to expensive shoes. I'm am concerned because drips turn into floods with cars!

See less See more
#32 ·
Wow Wrench... and I though my problems were annoying!

So.. Mine went into the shop today..

I complained on:

** Remote Controls - Distance issues - Temp Related (The colder it is the closer you have to be.)

** Rear Wiper - Squirts in the Air... Cover fell off... Wiper Blades will not contact window.

** Sun Roof Rattles - Temp Related - Colder it is.. the worse the rattle.

** Passenger Air Vent Knob fell off.

And of course, every time I drop it off, I complain about the Big Blue Light-bulb on the dash (When you turn OFF Radio, you get Bright Blue Screen.)

They gave me a 2010 SRX to drive...
I drove it 20 miles so far... My initial impression is "I don't like it"... Under powered... The outside Mirror SUCK!... They removed the "Back Only" Seat Heater function... It is too small to haul anything... I have to Duck to see the Temp and Clock under the center hood. (They also removed wood on dash, and little compartment =- replaced with cheap tray in glovebox.)

I do like the button on the door to open rear hatch, and the movable cargo area tie down clips, and how they designed the Center Console Compartment.

I would not have bought one, if this is what was the SRX was like when I was looking to buy! I would have went for the larger Audi or Mercedes Xovers.

I'll update when I hear back from the dealer on my issues.

#33 ·
Quickie Update...

Dealership called...

They replaced rear wiper and washer. (Fixed)

They ordered new passenger air vent... (Fixed later)

They lubed weather strips on roof.... (WTF)... I'm thinking that isn't doing to do squat!

They say remotes are working to factory specs .. (sounds like a dodge out to me!) We will be revisiting that one.)

Extend Remote Start Run Time.... They say, No Can do! That's a bummer.

So... I'll be taking it back for the vent... I'm sure we will be hitting some of these again.

#40 ·
This has probably been posted somewhere before, but the solution to turning off the nav screen is to press the AUDIO button, then AUX, then hit the MENU button, then DISPLAY OFF. Not intuitive, but it works.
Or use voice control button and say:
"system off"
and
"screen off"

:highfive:

#35 ·
Jwoodie.. yea.. the dealer showed me that... So... I can see me driving in the rain at night, on the highway, and entering a construction zone with lots of blinking yellow lights, equipment and people and traffic and I want to turn off the Display so it doesn't distract me... so rather then JUST Hitting the POWER Button turning the thing Off.... I take my eyes off of the road long enough to hit the MENU Button then the DISPLAY tab then the TURN DISPLAY OFF button to turn it off... meanwhile I accidentally hit the Audio button which lights every thing back up again since the thing is not turned OFF.

Yea.... Great work around... GM is so worried about Law Suites they drive us nuts disabling features on the GPS - then then they make it so you can't turn the damn thing off without wandering a maze of menus... ... ... Sounds like they have candidates for a Darwin Award running their legal department - and their sons work in the design engineering department.

Back to my recent fixes.

Rear Wiper is fixed - - however they did not replace the little cover that protects the washer - - so I have to get them to do that next time in.

Lubed Weather Strip actually did work... no rattling noise! I am amazed!

Remotes only work if you are within 30 feet... I guess the Mechanic needed to walk further away - - Written Materials indicate the remotes should work up to 200 feet if path is clear.

Extend my run time... Dealership said no... but a GM Performance guy tells me they can in the computer... so I'll revisit that one the next time in.

Looks like I'm building a little list for when I return for the Vent replacement.

#38 ·
Not that this is your problem but don't do that with an Audi.

If you try to unlock 5 times while not in range the remote deprograms and will not work anymore, stops people from walking around looking for you car if they find or steal the keys.

My 04 will only work from right beside it, however my set of keys will work from the house once in a while but never has worked good.

#39 ·
I got it used, but so far:

- Check-engine light due to CAT (looking into it)
- right mirror does not always turn back up completely (looking into it)
- 2 LEDS are broken in the left tail light (replacement is ordered)
- Engine had some rough start issues
- Rear lid weather stripping has been fixed to stop leak.
- NAV-DVD has been replaced, since it was too scratched to be able to be read.
- Ultraview has been fixed for auto-reverse issue
- left rear passenger door locking mechanism is missing a bushing
- Bagage compartment net has been ordered
- left front door hinge was making noise. It has been re-assembled with new lube.
- Left front HID was flickering. Control unit and light 'bulb' have been replaced.
- turn signal stalk sometimes didn't work. Has been replaced.
- The middle glas cover on the roof is sticking out on one side. Needs adjustment.
- missing tools for the spare tire
- Gas filler door hinge needs lubrication

#41 ·
Jwoodie.... I wish it was that easy!

My SRX absolutely HATES my voice - - it always does something different then what I command - or ask the question "Do you mean ___?"

So that is not an option for me.

I think - - - - - - The Best fix would be for GM should make the unit goes OFF (And Dark) when you hit the Power button! Wouldn't that be a novel idea?

So - - - I received my card saying my new vent is in... so tomorrow AM we try again... This time I am bringing with me the Video of me in my parking lot to play for the Writeup Guy...

Of course - as usual, I shall update!

#42 ·
Cone...

OH YES - - I know of what you speak, as the car before my SRX was an Audi Allroad... However, I never had to hit the remote more then once for anything, and mine always worked - I even used the panic button on it to find my car from the ground floor of a 7 floor parking garage - - my Audi was on the 4th floor. (I couldn't remember what floor I had parked on.)

I also have an 05 Mustang GT with an UNGO Remote Start - - the remotes worke easily from 500 feet without any problems.

Before my Audi, I had a Ford Explorer with and Audiovox Remote Start and it too worked from more then 300 feet without any problems.

So I know that is it possible to have remotes that work from more then 30 feet!

#43 ·
My remote lock seems to work okay from 100 feet or more, but the remote start sure doesn't like me. Sometimes it just won't work, sometimes on the 2nd or 3rd try, but never the first try. seems after 3 trys or so, it locks up and just refuses to start remotely.
I assumed operator error.

But here's something to make you feel better. Speaking of Audi's:
The Dallas dealer diagnosed my sister's TT for a lean code.
They stated a new Mass Air Flow sensor was needed.
They quoted $300 for the part, and an AMAZING $320 labor to install.
I pulled it off using just a screwdriver, cleaned it, reinstalled it, all in 16 minutes - problem fixed.

DG

#44 ·
Yea Wrench... not all shops are on the Up and Up.

I had Extended Warranty coverage on my Audi, so I never had to pay more then $100 out of pocket, per drop off (so I usually let 2 or 3 things build up before taking it in.). Every job was more then $1k of work.

Many shops today have become lazy... it is easier to simply replace an item, rather then figure out what is actually wrong with the original and fix that (IE: Dirty Part). So you save some in labor, yet end up spending more because of the cost of the replacement item.

TV's have gotten that way - - - who actually sends in a TV to be repaired anymore.

When it comes to "This is bad - replace it".. I always hunt the net, get the item at a discount price and replace it myself if it doesn't require I dismantle the engine or put the car on a high lift if I am the one who is going to pay. But - as long as I have warranty, then I take it in to the shop. Once GM won't pay for the repair, then I do it myself.

My Audi wasn't much better then my SRX when it came to broken things.. but... the shops were always right on what was wrong, and they always fixed the car before giving it back to me. it wasn't until I bought my American Cars (My 05 Mustang GT Convertible, and now this SRX) did I get the "They all do that" Excuse.. or they give it back telling me it isn't broken, or try to tell me it meets factory specs.

My problem is... I hold GM to the same set of standards that I hold for myself... Unfortunately I am a perfectionist, so that causes problems for me when others do the work!

#46 ·
I must again be one of the lucky ones....

My remote, while it admittedly wont work from 300 feet, does work easily from 100 feet+.

I can remote start my SRX from within my office and the signal has to travel through 2 brick walls to get there... the car is probably 75 or so feet away, plus I am on the second floor.

If I park farther back, though, the remote start becomes spotty, and you can't depend on it working, but I figured the 2 brick walls of had something ot do with that too.

On the down side, the plastic frame of one of my remote cracked :( , but I was able to super glue it together, and you can hardly tell...

#47 · (Edited)
This forum has me checking on stuff on my 07 far too often. You've all triggered paranoia in me!

Re the key fob and door lock/unlock distance problem, I will assume you guys checked both key fobs from the same positions and distances, that you swapped out the batteries, and that you tested both fobs again. Did you check the panic button function and powered rear hatch too?

My 07 works from at least 30 yards. Tested last night. Probably will work from further out.

The garage door opener(s) on the SRX likewise work from about 30 yards out but not further. About the same as our 1998 Olds Aurora but not as far as the Infinity.

Another observation....despite new batteries, I found on the Olds that eventually one key fob worked better than the other. Chalked that up to worn contacts on the fob most frequently used because if the buttons were pressed on the edges even the worn one performed.

Re batteries.....over the decades I have only had two instances where brand new batteries were bad, most recently about a month ago where a battery with a 2013 expiration date was nearly dead, brand new and newly purchased, coming right out of an unopened package.

Hope this helps someone.

#48 ·
PJ...

Sorry to make you paranoid! <smile>

Yes - I replaced the batteries in BOTH Remote Controls Twice with different brands... exactly the same symptoms and issues with either remote and different batteries... When they work.. everything works... when they don't.. NOTHING works including Panic. I could NEVER use my remotes to find my car if I lost it in a parking lot, because you have to be within 10 feet of it before they will work. It is NOT the remotes, but rather an issue with the Receiver in the car. I suspect either the Receiver is going bad, or the antenna system is corrupted.

I took the SRX back to ELCO this morning. I played the Video for the Write-up guy, but he didn't seem interested - he told me the techs have to be able to reproduce the problem themselves. So we will see.

Since I had GM Replace my garage door opener, the new one works my door from a block away on the first button hit every time.

I am just hoping that ELCO doesn't try returning my car AGAIN with the remote still broken. Of course, they did try 4 times to tell me my Heater wasn't broken. and they still tell me the erratic shifting in cruise is normal as well they tell me the blue screen when power off is normal. (So, we now know where the engineers who were in the bottom 10 of their graduating class - got jobs!)

And just so you know.. despite the issues - - I still love my SRX... I would have dumped it long ago if I didn't! I just wish I could be one of those Happy GM owners that got the opposite of a lemon.

#50 ·
ha ha LX.. maybe I'll try throwing mine in the dishwasher!

Anyway... ... ... Just got the call from ELCO.

They installed a new vent since the handle fell off of the old one.

They replaced the shield over the rear washer.

They did NOT extend the run time for the remote start - stated they were not allowed to for safety reasons. So I'll have to wait until I get my own scan tool to do that one myself.

They said they could not reproduce my remote issue! (WTF - I don't have any problems getting them not to work!), but they went ahead and replaced the receiver unit anyway.

So... I'll have to wait until I get my car and test it myself to see if the remotes work now.

If this keeps up, I am going to have to build a tally sheet of things they fixed, and things they made excuses for.

I'll update tomorrow after I have tested my car.

#51 ·
HALLELUJAH!

They FIX it....

I was nervous when the dealership called telling me they could not duplicate my remote problems... but.. they went ahead and replaced the Receiver anyway.

I guess I just have to learn to be persistant and make a lot of noise when they give me the "Can't Duplicate" or "Normal Function" bull.

Now my remotes easily are working from 200ft +.

They did indeed fix the rear wiper and my vent.. so this trip was a good one.

lets see the stats now.

NAVE/RADIO BLUE SCREEN WHEN POWER OFF
Told all 07 > do that... Normal function... NOT FIXED

DRIVERS SIDE MIRROR RIPPLED
They replaced my mirror.. with one that had double vision... Oh well! I'll call it FIXED

TRANSMISSION SHIFTS ERRATIC AND OFTEN IN CRUISE
Told me All SRX's do that.. No TSB's.. Normal Function... NOT FIXED

DRIVERS DOOR POPS
They realigned all my doors.. FIXED

WATER DRIPS ON DRIVERS FOOT
Could not duplicate - NOT FIXED
This one caused a problem later because the tech stuck a plug in a hose he though might be the culprit.

CHROME PEALED OFF OF DRIVERS DOOR HANDLE
They replaced handle... FIXED

GARAGE DOOR OPENER WEAK SIGNAL
They replaced Sending Unit... FIXED

HEAT WILL NOT COME ON TEMP CONTROL
This took 4 trips and a LOT of complaining FIXED
Cause was hose Tech plugged for water drips

CONTROL HANDLE PASSENGER VENT MISSING
Replaced Vent... FIXED

REAR WIPER WASHER ISSUE
Replaced Washer Nozzle... FIXED
This happened twice

REAR WIPER NOT WIPING
Replaced Arm... FIXED

ULTRA VIEW RATTLE
Lubed seals - glass was rubbing... FIXED
I was amazed at this one.

REMOTE CONTROL DISTANCE ISSUE
Replaced Receiver Unit... FIXED
But it took me 2 trips, a Video and complaining.

REMOTE START RUN TIME SHORT
Stated Run-time is Normal.. NOT FIXED
ELCO claims they can't change for safety reasons

After the Heater Debacle, they stopped sending me those annoying "Did you like your service" Surveys... I guess they didn't like my comments!

#52 ·
UPDATE March 15th.

Well... Replacing the Remote Receivers is EXACTLY what the doctor ordered... my remotes are absolutely working as they should now. I am so loving THAT!

Sunroof Rattle...

Turns out they did NOT get rid of my Rattle. But... it also turns out that it is NOT the Sunroof, so that would explain why working on the Sunroof didn't rid me of the rattle.

The rattle is somewhere else in the headliner.

If I pull down by grabbing the edge/corner of the headliner when it is doing the rattle, the noise instantly stops.

This one is going to be FUN to find.

The noise is exactly the noise one would here if they tapped on a piece of metal with a plastic coated wire.

I absolutely hate the thought of taking it back to ELCO, as I have the feeling they will simply keep it for a day and then return it telling me either they could not reproduce to issue (which I never seem to have any problems reproducing them!) or they will simply tell me they can't find anything wrong.

At least on this one - they can't tell me the computer can't find anything wrong!

#53 ·

Sunroof Rattle...

Turns out they did NOT get rid of my Rattle. But... it also turns out that it is NOT the Sunroof, so that would explain why working on the Sunroof didn't rid me of the rattle.

The rattle is somewhere else in the headliner.

If I pull down by grabbing the edge/corner of the headliner when it is doing the rattle, the noise instantly stops.

This one is going to be FUN to find.

The noise is exactly the noise one would here if they tapped on a piece of metal with a plastic coated wire.
Have the same!
It sounds more like a plastic squeak/moan though. If you move that liner edge you can recreate the sound. I haven't looked into it yet to trace the exact cause. But indeed it is not the Sunroof mechanism.

#54 · (Edited)
I have a rattle up front too, not a squeak or a moan. 2007 N AWD 30K mi. Ultraview.

From the driver's seat it sounds like it is coming from the center of the dash where the dash intersects the windshield. But from the front passenger's seat it sounds like the rattle is coming from where the dash intersects the driver's door by the driver's window.

Any ideas?

I will start with the driver's window and door. Wonder if the headliner rattle you guys are talking about could actually be the source, but the direction of sound just SEEMS like it's down by the windshield.

:banghead:

#58 ·
Despite the problems I have had with my SRX - I have been lucky enough to avoid the Wet Storage Bin syndrome so many SRX owners have experienced.

Knock in Roof - - for the time being, I jammed a piece of rubber between the glass and the frame... I'll attack the real problem at another time, but this is working quite well at removing the tapping sounds from over my head.

#60 ·
Rear Squinter... In my case the issue was more evolved. When I hit the spray, the nozzle not only sprayed straight up, it also rotated back and forth. Of course, it is not supposed to do that!

I wish the rear sprayer made fan pattern spray like the windshield sprayers - - but that would be a bit much to ask of a GM car probably!

Planning an SRX Trip to Florida in May.. wooopeeee

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.