Cadillac Owners Forum banner
126K views 480 replies 81 participants last post by  LisaCatera 
#1 · (Edited)
Anything wrong with your SRX out of the box ?????

I'm getting ready to take my 09' SRX to the shop to get those "little things" fixed.

These are the things I hope to have worked on!

NAV/RADIO WILL NOT TURN OFF:

When the Power Button is pressed, instead of the unit going off and “dark”, it goes quiet, and presents a very annoying bright blue screen. Should not be presenting blue screen. Screen should go off and dark when hitting power button off. Current work-a-round is to go Menu/Display/Display OFF then turn Volume Down. This gets annoying sometimes. I have no clue with the dealership will do with this one!

DRIVERS SIDE MIRROR:

Drivers side door mirror has reflection mirror flaws, which cause a ripple in the View. This is annoying and distracting, especially at night. I hope to get GM to replace glass! * NOTE: No – it is not the window tinting or glass, verified with window down.

Also: I'll have the dealer check heating system on Mirror – Drivers Side Mirror takes 3 Times as long to clear fog/mist/ice as passenger mirror, indicating a flaw in the heating system.

TRANSMISSION SHIFT PROGRAMMING:

Transmission down shifts from 5th to 4th way too easily and too often when in drive, especially on the highway with Cruise engaged. With slight acceleration or slight incline without acceleration the car will lurch and downshift. This is actually very dangerous when running with cruise control as it causes the car to lurch forward unexpectedly. Can’t run cruise on highway, if there is the slightest incline, unless you remember to put shifter into sport / manual mode – 5th.

Putting Shifter in M5 stops the annoying down shifting, but then you have to remember to put it back into drive for stops and town driving.

I am hoping the dealership will reprogram computerized transmission shifting parameters.

DRIVERS DOOR DROPS:

Drivers’ door “drops” when Opening. Please adjust so this won’t create problems in the future. The other doors seem to align fine.

WATER DRIPS:

AC drips cold water on Drivers Foot. My Wife expressed concern of damage to expensive shoes. I'm am concerned because drips turn into floods with cars!

See less See more
#230 ·
Oh my... you too huh?

I can't type in a public forum some of the words my wife has used to describe my Cadillac experience! And she is nicer then my daughter is. :)

Sorry to hear your STS has had some issues.

I think I have woken the giant - - I am now waiting to see if he smashes me, or only picks me up to study me.

#232 · (Edited)
Well... I am bitten!

So - I'm planning on driving to Omaha to visit my son for Thanksgiving. (I live in St. Louis). :)

Problem is - I am now tossed, whether to take the SRX, or my wifes Volvo. Her Volvo gets 33mpg, and has never had any type of problem in the 7 years she has owned it. My SRX gets 19mpg, and I am afraid it most likely will have something break before I even get to leave for Omaha.:suspense::(

Then :: What do I do if it breaks while I am in Omaha - - I have to be back in STL for my job - if I care to keep my job. Living in STL and dealing with a broken Cadillac in Omaha would be a total PITA.

I'm thinking driving the Volvo is probably the most logical choice.

It is a shame, because travel is exactly why I bought the SRX - and now I am afraid to travel in it.

What to do!:bigroll:

#234 ·
Well....

I hope everyone had a good holiday weekend.

At the very last minute - we decided to go ahead and take the SRX to Omaha (from St. Louis).

About 100 miles north of Kansas City - the rattle in the headliner above my head made its grand appearance, once again - but with the radio loud enough, it wasn't too annoying.

The car actually did fine otherwise... Cruise set to 77 most of the way, MPG average was 20.6 - - 2 people, rear loaded level to the top of the seat. (So she has improved about 1mpg from last trip.)

I had one fright, where she acted like she wasn't going to start after a refuel, but it was short lived.

Nothing fell off.

Everything still appears to work.

One more week, and I will have broken a record for "Mean time between failures". :)

#236 ·
Prof............most of my previous post disappeared. :banghead:

I had advised you to take the Volvo on your road trip, the older car in your fleet, and have a stress-free and a problem-free Thanksgiving trip to visit your family. It sounds to me with the return of the headliner rattle you will have to go back to wedging something in there to stop it.

At least you got some relatively trouble free mileage under your belt......nothing major.

PJ

#237 ·
PJ... thanks..

Indeed, you advised me to take the Volvo! :thumbsup:

If I pull down with about 5lbs of pressure, on the corner of the headliner (and sunroof frame), the rattle stops. The rattle is also Temp sensitive -- It does it the most between 35 to 45 degrees F - but still does it a all temps, just the most obvious at those temps.

I am in a quandry as to whether or not to take it in for the rattle - - I have 500 miles left on the warranty. - - it has been looked officially twice by the dealership on that issue, and obviously - they didn't fix it.

As for the hard start when I refueled :: I plugged in my computer/scanner when I got home - and there were no codes. (Yea' I have one of those :) )

It was my choice to not take my wifes volvo. It is a V40... and it is a very tiny, bouncy, noisy, uncomfortable in long distance, car. I really wasn't looking forward to a 1,000 mile ride in it. So I decided to sacrifice peace-of-mind and MPG for quiet and comfort (aside from the headliner rattle.)

My son bought a 2012 Kia Sorento .... He drove us around in it, when we went out. That is an impressive car. Just slightly smaller then my SRX, but larger then the new SRX, and has twice the luxury and gadget options my Cadillac has. I'm thinking, that may not be a bad replacement car.

#238 ·
Hi everyone I would like to introduce myself to the Forum and start with 5 months of dealer repairs. My wife and I bought a 2007 SRX AWD V8 Loaded Ultraview with 48000 miles with an Extended Warranty back in July and the bad luck started when we picked up our SRX and the dealer put new staggered tires on and put the backs on the right side and the fronts on the left side no big deal but that is where the bad luck starts. This is a list of what went on with the SRX within 2 weeks of driving and what we had to deal with.

1. Blown power steering pump
2. Broken drivers side lumbar
3. Failing transfer case which was first repaired then replaced with a new one
4. Piston knock which the dealer said was normal
5. Dealer performed Top End Clean " Still Knocking"
6. Dealer decides to replaced all pistons
7. Engine now rattles and knocks like its going to detonate
8. Dealer said it is normal piston and valve train noise
9. Dealer decides to replace defective valve train components
10. Engine still knocks and rattles and now the coolant overflow is filled with oil
11. We complain to the District Manager and they ordered and installed a new engine

This all took place at a Cadillac Dealer that we have done business with before and has a great reputation but they do not know how to repair a Northstar but they tried and made matters worse, and within the 5 months it took them to fix the vehicle, and back and forth each time they gave us a loaner. We had our SRX for about 1 month total since we bought it and the dealer had it for 4 months for repair.

List of loaners

2011 STS on 3 occasions
2011 Buick Enclave AWD
2011 SRX AWD 2 occasions
2012 CTS-4

The good news is our 2007 SRX now has a new engine, transfer case, power steering pump, radiator, battery, brakes, tires and other little items. pretty much a new car now. We are still very happy with our 2007 SRX and compared to all the loaners we still like ours better than anything else on the road and we intend on keeping it for a long time.

Happy Driving

#240 ·
welcome to the forums jccjc67,

I bet that start had you scared! :)

Despite the problems - we all love our 1st Gen SRX's.

Too bad GM decided to make them more like a Lexus.

However - by GM doing so - it made me more willing to deal with the issues in order to keep my 1st gen SRX - because GM now has nothing to compare, so leaving me with no alternative but to try and hang onto this one.

Thank god for Good Dealers, who do take care of us.

While your dealer had problems getting things lined out, it sounds like they didn't give you much grief, and they gave you nice cars to drive in the mean time.

Replacing a N* is an expensive proposition - one I am sure GM truly wanted to avoid.

So - now you essentially have a brand new SRX.... Congratulations! :)

#241 ·
Humpty is in the shop again.

I guess those rough starts amounted to something - as this time, when I started it up this morning, it tossed up the Check Engine light and went into limp mode.

I'm waiting for the phone call on what the problem was or is.

This will officially be issue #47.

ELCO gave me a black 12' CTS to drive - base model. It drives nice.

#243 ·
OK... I picked Humpty up from ELCO this morning.

According to the Ticket, the Coil Packs for Cylinders 3 and 5 failed, along with the Oxygen Sensor on Circuit Bank2.

ELCO replaced the 2 plugs and coil packs and the Oxygen sensor and a gasket.

The codes in the memory were:

P0300 Misfire
P0303 Misfire Cylinder 3
P0305 Misfire Cylinder 5
P0050 HO2S Heater Control Circuit Bank2, Sensor 1
P0155 Heater Performance Bank2, Sensor 1

So - - if you get random "rough starts" - - suspect coil packs, or Oxy Sensors.

Issue #47 resolved - Coil Pack and Oxy Sensor Fail.

#245 ·
Humpty has a boo-boo again.

This time the knob on the center/right vent came off. it did it when my wife tried to adjust it from blowing onto her!

I told her she needs to be more gentle with my SRX! She replied with some expletives I can't repeat in here.

So - - Humpty will be going in the shop for the vent (Issue #48). The Oil Indicator is telling me I need an oil change... ELCO still has the $50 Oil Change - So we will be taking care of that as well. Last change was the middle of October. Plus :: Rear Brakes just started hitting the wear indicators (squeak squeak).. and as luck would have it :: ELCO is running a Brake special for $75, so I guess I'll get that taken care of too..

The roof was making a grinding noise on open/close, but it stopped doing that for the moment - so I have to wait until it is actively doing it before ELCO can work on it. Also the headliner snapping noise has subsided for the moment, so I'll have to address that later too.

I've broken prior records - - 2,500 miles since last shop visit. I could get used to this!

#246 ·
Please keep us posted after your latest trip to the shop, Professor Wizard! I've just finished catching up on this long thread and wanted to reiterate what former Social Media agents have said in the past: You can always contact me via private message if you have any concerns you'd like me to investigate. I'm so sorry to read you've experienced all this with your SRX!

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

#247 ·
Katie,

Thanks for your concern... but it is what it is.

I'm covered with extended warranty, so these things are still just annoyances.

I love this car :: despite the annoyances!

and one of these days, I think I might manage to talk the dealership into a free Cadillac Hat! :) I am there often enough they know me by my first name.

Maybe even a free beer if I play my cards right! :)

One thing for sure :: My SRX has proven that ELCO is a wonderful dealership... and if I ever decide to purchase another GM product, ELCO will absolutely be tops on the list of "where to buy". I only wish they sold other product lines as well.

Watch this tread for updates :: I am fairly confident, there will be more! :D

#249 ·
So.... Humpty is back on the road again...

Issue # 48... Knob Failure on Vent.. Fixed/Replaced. I looked up the part number and it is $200 Retail.

Issue # 49 ... Bolt & Clip failure on Sunroof. Parts cost would have been only around $25 - - but to fix they had to completely remove the glass. Roof was making a metal on metal grinding noise when closing.

An Oil Change, and rear brake pads.

#252 ·
So.... Humpty is back on the road again...

Issue # 48... Knob Failure on Vent.. Fixed/Replaced. I looked up the part number and it is $200 Retail.

Issue # 49 ... Bolt & Clip failure on Sunroof. Parts cost would have been only around $25 - - but to fix they had to completely remove the glass. Roof was making a metal on metal grinding noise when closing.
Hi Professor Wizard.

The slider on my vent failed when my vehicle was cleaned by a local shop. They had to replace the entire center air deflector at over 340.00.

I had no issues with the roof in my 05 or 07 at all, but now with my 08 I am having ongoing issues. 1. Last year in September it would shudder and then reverse so I had it repaired at the dealership. 2. The shudder stopped but later while I was cleaning the car I noticed the weatherstrip was damaged similar to your pic so I returned to the dealer and they ordered and replaced the weatherstrip. 3. Now at highway speeds there is wind noise through the front and the rear of the sunroof. On order now is a rear seal, glass weatherstrip, 2 rear guides L+R, A guide, 2 Rear extentions L+R. I am so looking forward to the end of this repair.

#250 · (Edited)
and again...

So - - She puked oil all over the driveway:

I took her right in, as I'm afraid to drive her too far with her doing THAT!

and... The trim on the back of the sunroof is also messed up - - so since she is in the shop, might as well take care of it.

Also - they are replacing my #1 Keyfob and while they are at it, the master key == The fob constantly falls apart dumping it insides out on the ground (Usually in a puddle after a rain.), and the Cadillac emblem is missing on the key, and you can't just replace the emblem.

#253 · (Edited)
PhoenixSRX... yea... the knobs on the vents are entirely too fragile. Really bad engineering. and, once they come off, there is no putting them back on.

Your wind noise is most likely only the front - - mine was adjusted for that.

Update on last Visit..

Oil Issue :: The "Seal" Part # 12577653; failed on the Filter Container- - dealer put on a new one and cleaned everything up. (I hope the refilled the oil, there is no mention of that on the sheet.)

Sunroof :: The replaced the warped window seal.

Keys & Fobs :: Replaced those, and reprogrammed.

And we are back on the road again.

G
#256 ·
!st the front right wheel bearing (right off the lot!)
2nd Ultraview roof vibrates when closing (needs service (again right off the lot
3rd going to take it to Cadillac for the roof and have them do a complete bill of health while its on used car warranty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.