Cadillac Owners Forum banner
126K views 480 replies 81 participants last post by  LisaCatera 
#1 · (Edited)
Anything wrong with your SRX out of the box ?????

I'm getting ready to take my 09' SRX to the shop to get those "little things" fixed.

These are the things I hope to have worked on!

NAV/RADIO WILL NOT TURN OFF:

When the Power Button is pressed, instead of the unit going off and “dark”, it goes quiet, and presents a very annoying bright blue screen. Should not be presenting blue screen. Screen should go off and dark when hitting power button off. Current work-a-round is to go Menu/Display/Display OFF then turn Volume Down. This gets annoying sometimes. I have no clue with the dealership will do with this one!

DRIVERS SIDE MIRROR:

Drivers side door mirror has reflection mirror flaws, which cause a ripple in the View. This is annoying and distracting, especially at night. I hope to get GM to replace glass! * NOTE: No – it is not the window tinting or glass, verified with window down.

Also: I'll have the dealer check heating system on Mirror – Drivers Side Mirror takes 3 Times as long to clear fog/mist/ice as passenger mirror, indicating a flaw in the heating system.

TRANSMISSION SHIFT PROGRAMMING:

Transmission down shifts from 5th to 4th way too easily and too often when in drive, especially on the highway with Cruise engaged. With slight acceleration or slight incline without acceleration the car will lurch and downshift. This is actually very dangerous when running with cruise control as it causes the car to lurch forward unexpectedly. Can’t run cruise on highway, if there is the slightest incline, unless you remember to put shifter into sport / manual mode – 5th.

Putting Shifter in M5 stops the annoying down shifting, but then you have to remember to put it back into drive for stops and town driving.

I am hoping the dealership will reprogram computerized transmission shifting parameters.

DRIVERS DOOR DROPS:

Drivers’ door “drops” when Opening. Please adjust so this won’t create problems in the future. The other doors seem to align fine.

WATER DRIPS:

AC drips cold water on Drivers Foot. My Wife expressed concern of damage to expensive shoes. I'm am concerned because drips turn into floods with cars!

See less See more
#179 ·
Elizabeth...

Thank you very much for the ping... - - My ELCO Service Rep just called to tell me they had put Humpty Dumpty back together again, and I get her back this afternoon. :)

I really do wish, that when they replaced the drivers side lamp assembly - they had also done the Passenger side as well (I did request it!)... now I have a nice shiny one on one side, that makes a white/pink light.. and a weathered looking one on the other side that makes a white/blue light - - if you have any powers to authorize such a thing, I would appreciate it... it would be nice to have them the same - - and maybe a good-will gesture as well, to appease my attitude due to the multiple times I had to put my SRX in the shop. (Documented in here.) If not that, maybe a free Mobil1 Oil change or something! :) - -- or a Cadillac Hat! :yup:

My co-workers are starting to tease me - - asking what car I will be test driving this week (Because I am driving a different loaner car every time mine is in the shop.)

My SRX, has probably lost at least 5 GM product sales that I know of, because of people at my work watching me. They bought new cars, and told me that they didn't even look at GM because of the multiple problems they saw I had with my Cadillac. I can't say I blame them, as the odds are not in GM's favor for my next ride.

At least I get good service from ELCO. Great guys - - yea, they had some issues, but where it was their fault, things were resolved. (Heater problem). They are good people.

#181 ·
Well - - I picked her up Friday evening... everthing seems to be working for the moment..

However, with the first speed-bump I hit, The light assembly over the passenger seat popped out. I can only assume the mechanic removed it during the roof repair and didn't quite get it back in place. I learned a couple of things putting it back.

1. Looking up into the hole where the light goes - trying to figure out what holds it up there, I could see that there is indeed "Just" a piece of glass over the luggage compartment area... you could very easily just cut a hole in the headline and have a sun roof back there.... So why did GM put the glass, and not a hole in the headliner? Probably $$$.

2. Interior parts click together like those old beginner model car kits.. be careful you don't break a plastic prong. And like those old model car kits - the plastic parts really don't like being un-snapped and then re-snapped.

#182 ·
Professor Wizard,
I apologize for the delay in response; I was out of the office. I am glad to see that you got everything fixed. I do not have powers to authorize something like that. If I could, I certainly would! If you speak with Cadillac Customer Assistance they might be able to work something out with the dealership. I highly encourage you to give them a call since I don’t have any authority to give out any type of goodwill. If you decide to give them a call, let me know the outcome. As I was about to respond to you, I noticed that there was another post I missed. I am sorry to hear that your light popped out. Did your fix correct the issue with your light?

Thank you,

Elizabeth, Cadillac Customer Service

#183 ·
Elizabeth,

I put the light back myself - - it took 3 tries, but it is "acting" like it might stay up this time.

If it falls out again, I'll be taking her back to ELCO.

I am waiting for that "Customer Survey" I am supposed to get after my car was worked on - - I have yet to get one. :: it will reflect that I am very happy with ELCO, yet, very disappointed with Cadillac and GM. (But somehow, I don't think it will ask any questions about being happy with my SRX - only questions about if I am happy with my dealership.)

#185 ·
Update: August 11, I got a call today from the Service Manager at ELCO.

Very nice guy!

He had gone over his records and noticed that I had my SRX in 11 times since the beginning of the year. He was concerned I might be mad at ELCO... of which I am NOT! But I did tell him that I am not so much impressed with Cadillac or GM! :)

We chatted a bit about my SRX, and he left me with the impression he was going to try to see what he could do about the headlamp, and maybe even a Cadillac Hat!

I'm glad that he called - - It did make me feel better over-all.

I didn't drive my SRX this week - we're having wonderful weather here in STL, so I am driving my Convertible and my Motorcycle instead.

The good news is :: If I don't drive the SRX - nothing breaks! :)

#186 ·
Wanna bet?:duck:

#187 ·
Good point Glake...

So - - she is in the shop again.

I get in to drive to work this morning, and the seat back didn't feel right - - so I go to adjust the Lumbar and .. WirrrrrrrrrrrrrrRRrrRrrrrrrrRrR... and nothing moves.. just Wirrrrr...

So, I took her in to get that fixed.

Looking back :: This is actually the 3rd time for that drivers seat lumber thing.

I don't really get it... I very rarely ever move the thing, and I only weigh 160 (5'8") which isn't particularly heavy.

The Lumbar in the Passenger seat gets messed with a lot, and never has had a problem (Knock on wood).

I tried to catch the Service Manager when I dropped Humpty off this morning, but he wasn't in yet... so it looks like I won't be getting my Caddy Hat. :(

#188 ·
Hi Everyone just joined. Our 2007 SRX AWD V8 we just bought in July from a Cadillac dealer had a power steering pump failure at 50,000 miles the pump was repaired under warranty. I did get an extended warranty. Other than that a great vehicle, best we have ever owned for the whole 1 1/2 months we have had it,went from a Yukon Denali to the SRX and cannot be happier. Performance and Utility. From the service records and car fax the only problems this SRX ever had in its 50,000 mile life was front brakes and drivers seat upholstery repaired 38,000 miles.

#189 ·
Wayne.. congrats on a good find - - you will love your SRX.

Got mine back last night - - they replaced something in the Lumbar that was stripped.

I did note, that when I got in the seat was way back so I hit the "1" on the door and I felt the Lumbar move - - it ran itself out to the very end...

made me wonder if perhaps the automatic memory thing was putting the lumbar out too far.. ... so I adjusted it back a little and reset the memory control.

I guess I'll find out if that takes care of the problem.

No Cadillac Hat - - no passenger side Headlight Module.... but then, I didn't get to chat face2face with the boss man.

I'm fairly confident that there will be opportunities in the near future to have that conversation. :)

#190 ·
Before then, why not take it to a gremlin disgronifier? :thepan:

#191 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forum, Wayne. I've put 33,000 pleasurable and functional miles on my CPO SRX in the past 19 months and the odometer is now a tad over 58K. Hope your experience is as good as mine.

Prof......is this Gremlinitis thing contagious? If so, do you disinfect your keyboard before posting so we don't catch it?

Glake......my dealership refuses to add a gremlin disgronifier to its inventory of high tech repair equipment, said it would put too many people out of work.

I plan on taking my SRX for a few things sometime in September. Not much to get taken care of, but may as well keep the list small and tolerable.

The cruise control, used several times a week, suddenly stopped working for about a 3 week period but then mtsteriously started working again this week for no apparent reason, much to my delight. Had checked the fuses per Glake's advice (he told me which fuse box to check since the owners' manual listed everything from soup to nuts for all three boxes (relays and fuses) EXCEPT cruise control. But nothing was amiss.

The UltraView is still balky on and off when closing. I use that daily. Doesn't balk/reverse on closing when I am driving on the highway. Only during city driving, when sitting at idle, or when being operated on the accesory ignition mode.

The sunshade has begun Prof's snap, crackle, pop, and sag following a "boing" sound (highly technical auditory term). I use that daily.

And the AM reception (not FM or XM) comes and goes. Connectors need dielectric grease? I use AM daily for sports talk shows.

There. I feel better now. I can just print this out and hand it to the Service writer when I take the SRX in. Wonder if they will give me a CTS-V for a loaner. Nah, didn't think so.

PJ

#192 ·
Back in Again...

So :: I tossed my netbook (in it's case) into the back seat this morning... Driving to work I had to hit the brakes pretty hard once and it slid off into the floor on the passenger side of the back seat.

When get to work, I reach in and pick it up and it is SOAKING WET!... I am like WTF... I put my hand on the carpet and it is DRENCHED, and I look an there is almost standing water in the floor... So I check the front and it is the same.. and I look under the seat, and I see puddles of water in the low spots...

The netbook is fine - only the neoprene case got wet, but it still protected the netbook.

AC has gone blitz and dumping water into the passenger side floor.

Back in she goes tomorrow AM for that.

#194 ·
I find it difficult to believe that the AC evaporator could condense that much moisture. Having lived in the St. Louis area, where both heat and humidity can be excessive at times, I guess you can't rule it out. I tend to agree with the possibility of a leaking Ultraview or perhaps a heater hose issue.

Hopefully, the problem can be resolved in one visit this time.

#195 ·
Service Writer just called with an update.

The AC Drain Hose clogged... water was from AC Evap overflowed the holding tank.. and yes, it can produce that much water. and if you don't' have a passenger who is getting their feet wet to inform you there is a problem, you can drive for a couple of days without knowing.

They are keeping it overnight... blew out the hose to clear it, and have removed the carpet to shampoo and spray with anti mold stuff.

They think I can pick her up tomorrow afternoon.

Oh yes... Remember that headlamp Assembly I was told they would try to get me for the right side... well.. that idea appears to be falling apart, as GM doesn't want to OK it. The Service Writer informed me of that during our call - I think he was trying to let me down easy. Honestly, I wasn't surprised.

By the way :: I went back over my thread and compiled a list of the things what went wrong with my car while I had it... the list is 41 separate items - although some of those items repeat, like the lumbar broke 3 times, and the Windshield Trim piece was replaced 4 times. If you take that number of items, divided by the time I have owned the car, and the Average Mean Time Between Failures works out the 2-1/2 weeks. So, every couple of weeks something broke, fell off, or went wrong with my SRX.

I must be getting more patient as I age - - because this car would have been so "gone" after about 4 months, if I were still 30! :)

Here is the list... for it's Comedic Value.

1. NAV wont’ turn off - Blue Screen. (Not Fixed :: it is just that way)
2. Mirror Flawed. (Replaced)
3. Transmission Erratic Shift with Cruise. (Not Fixed :: Normal)
4. Doors Drop. (Adjusted)
5. Water Drips Drivers Side. (Hose Pluged)
6. Chrome flaking on Drivers Door Handle cuts finger. (Replaced)
7. Garage Door opener fail. (Replaced)
8. Heater stopped working. (Hose Plug from #5 caused issue - it took 3 dealer visits to discover)
9. Vent Knob Center Vent fail. (Replaced)
10. Rear Wiper Washer fail. (Replaced)
11. Rattle above head – dealership lubricated sunroof rails. (ongoing) ((This was actually finally fixed when the sunroof shade broke 2 year later.))
12. Remote Start/Lock failing. (Replaced after 3rd Dealer Visit)
13. Rear Overhead AC Control mount fail. (Reinstalled) (Note: was hanging when I picked up from Sun-shield repair)
14. Rear Side Window loose. (Repaired)
15. Rear window Washer Fail – again… (Replaced)
16. Passenger Air Vent knob Fail. (Replaced)
17. Timing Chain out 28k miles– (Replaced)
18. Plastic Trim above Windshield Fail. (Replaced)
19. Drivers Lumbar fail. (Replaced)
20. Trim Above Windshield Fail (2nd time) (Replaced)
21. Drivers Lumbar Fail Number 2 (10 days after 1st repair) (Replaced)
22. Ignition Key Tumbler fail. (Bent Key) (Repaired)
23. NAV Screen Flicker. (never fixed, still does it)
24. Acceleration Noise : Heat Shield Fail. (Repaired)
25. Oil Change Monitor Re-Programed
26. SunRoof – Metal on Metal Grinding : Broken Tab, (Replaced)
27. SunRoof – weather seal failure. (Replaced)
28. Trim above Windshield Fail again (number 3) (Replaced)
29. Rear View Mirror Mount fail. (Repaired)
30. Roof Trim Passenger Side broken. (Replaced)
31. Drivers Side Vent Knob fail. (Replaced)
32. Drivers Side Interior Door Handle, Chrome Fail (2nd time) (Replaced)
33. Rear Seat Belt Tensioner making noise – (Repaired)
34. Trim Above Windshield came off (4rd time) (Replaced)
35. Trim above Windshield broke again at 2 weeks(number 5) – (this time, left it in place and sealed the crack, as crack is dead center and straight.)
36. Entertainment System Headset fail. (Replaced)
37. Roof Trim, Passenger Side fail. (Replaced)
38. Parking Lamp Fail // Headlamp Clearcoat finish fail- Drivers Side.(Replaced)
39. Sunroof Shade – Total Frame Fail. (Replaced)
40. Drivers Lumbar fail (3rd Time) (Replaced)
41. AC Evap Drain Fail :: Dumps into Passenger Floor, Soaked Carpet and Dash Insulation. (Repaired and Cleaned)

I know there are a few things missing, as I hadn't written them all down at first because I never knew I would have so many!

The weird thing is after all that - I still love my SRX.

#196 ·
:thepan: Ain't love strange? :mystery:

#197 ·
This all must be very discouraging for you, PROF. Makes me wonder if the parts are bad, the installation is off, or both. If I were the dealer, and after all you have gone through (and them), I would not have balked on the last item they are hesitating on, the headlamp assembly.

Re those plastic gears used in the power lumbar support that keep failing......I am wondering if they are misaligned which causes them to keep failing.....but I suppose at this point the dealer would have thought of that. My wife and I use different driver settings, so the power lumbar gets quite the workout, and no failures yet. In another thread others have reported your experience exactly and no one came up with a more permanent solution.

Is it the seatback bolster or the seat bottom gears that keep stripping? Isn't it strange that only the driver's side gears fail?

PJ

#198 ·
Hi PJ:

Service Writer called this afternoon - - they managed to pressure GM into approving the Right Lamp Assembly replacement... so they keep my car one more day as they anticipate the part to be in tomorrow morning. I am honestly surprised, as I thought for sure GM would fight them on that. Life is just full of surprises.

Lumbar - - The report simply says some gear was stripped and replaced... I don't' get it, because I don't move the thing except maybe once every couple of months when it feels funny, which is when I find it broken. I tend to agree with you... the gear they are replacing is a symptom, not the cause. So the lumbar will continue to strip gears in the future unless they replace the entire apparatus. (not my call!)

The Lumbar in the passenger seat gets a work out, as everyone that sits in it plays with the buttons - - no problems with that one so far.

The car now has me worried... If I have found 40-somthing problems with things that are obvious... how many hidden problems are there, that I just haven't encountered or seen yet. Will the airbags work when they need to? Will the seat belts fall apart when I need them? Will the car catch fire in the middle of a Nevada Desert Tour because of faulty wiring?

I am rapidly becoming paranoid about what the next thing to go on this car is to be.

One thing for sure - - I am absolutely and unequivocally certain that I will be back at the dealership inside of a month with another problem - I anticipate and am fully prepared for the event.

Unless, before that time, I find another car that I think I might want to buy and if any dealership will take this one off my hands after they discover it's shop history from the VIN. I just hate the thought of taking a hit on the trad-in value, But I suppose you sometimes just have to "Cut your Losses" and get out while the getting is good.

#199 · (Edited)
So.. ... ...

I got my SRX back last night...

They fixed the AC, and shampooed the carpet plus, they treated it for Mold and Mildew.

AND - - They replaced the Passenger Side Headlamp Assembly (HooohRaw) :) Now they look the same.

BUT - - after I got her home and was putting my stuff back in (The stuff I pull out for when I switch to the renter)... I discover the Upper Glove Box Door will not open unless you pry it open.

SO - she goes back in now to get that fixed.

And you thought we were done with broken things didn't you... ha ha... fooled you!

I finally called Cadillac Customer Service yesterday afternoon - and Ranted to a very nice lady about my 41 (Now 42) issues. She looked up my service record and said "Oh My God!" a couple of times. Then I received a call from a very Hyper Upbeat gentleman this morning about my call to her... basically he was asking me what I expected Cadillac to do about it... at the moment, I didn't have an answer for him other then they needed to do SOMETHING! He said he would get back with me. So we will see what becomes of that!

I can now say I have achieved the "Cadillac Experience"... and I'm not so sure I enjoyed it! :D

#200 ·
OK... I pick her up this afternoon...

Elco said the door did fail. they installed an entire new box + door. Which I may be happy about because the wood pattern on the original door didn't match the rest of the car, maybe the new one will.

I guess I'll find out soon enough! :)

I even got a call/message from "Isaac" at Cadillac Customer Service HQ this time, to let me know my car was ready.

So - issue number 43 is soon to be behind me. (Passenger Headlamp counts as 42.)

Keep your fingers crossed - hopefully I can make it 3 weeks before the next round.

#201 ·
FYI:

I wish to rant for a bit about Cadillac Customer Service.

Isaac (A district Specialist with Cadillac Customer Service.) finally called me back... but that is pretty much a useless venture and total waste of time and energy... He simply wants me to call him when something is wrong, so he can follow up with the dealership on the progress... But he can't really do anything for me. (The dealership does a fine job of taking care of me, so I don't need him for that!)

He did leave me with the strong feeling that my car represents the "average" for problems, and my particular group of issues are no-big-deal... He left me with the feeling that the majority of GM products are just as bad in the arena of "Nuisance Issues". He left me with the feeling, that unless my car was trying to kill me, he really was rather annoyed at our conversation and was obviously wanting to get me off of the phone. He left me with the feeling, that GM isn't going to do jack to make amends for producing such a crappy SRX as mine.

He left me with the feeling his job is to be the door bouncer, to protect GM, and head off the complaint calls so they (we) don't annoy the executives.

So - I got off the phone, such that he could then move on with blowing-off the next person that was seeking his assistance.

"I wonder if GM hires ex Charter Communications or Comcast Agents for their Call Centers."

OK.. I know - that last one was an insult... but then, I felt insulted after talking to Cadillac Customer Service.

A $52,000 car should NOT have this many quality issues... there is absolutely NO Excuse for them - especially from a Cadillac - - and on the supposed rare occasion that it does, Cadillac should instantly step up to the plate and remedy the situation! (and that doesn't mean make the Cadillac Owner endure 10's of shop visits!)

I THINK! ::::

If my car is an anomaly, Cadillac should immediately and without solicitation or hesitation offer to put me into another vehicle to avoid further embarrassment and make amends.

If my car is NOT an anomaly (meaning, mine is a true example of Cadillac Quality) - - they should issue an apology to every one that calls with multiple quality issues, and extend their warranties to 100k to accommodate them for their troubles, and thank them for sticking it out with a GM product.

But really.. nobody cares what I think - especially at GM or Cadillac... and besides ::: I am pretty sure now, that GM makes so many inferior quality cars that GM could not possible afford to warenty them B2B for 100kmiles, as fixing them would be too expensive and could bankrupt the company.

Kia can afford to warenty their cars to 100k, because it doesn't cost them very much to do it... because the cars don't break very often.

I KNOW ::::::

Unless GM "Gives" me another car - No matter what happens, this will be my last GM product. And, you can guess what I will say anytime someone wants advice on what cars to buy.

Oh yes... Some tell me my SRX is a Lemon and I should have GM Buy it back... Well, under the Lemon Law here in MO, you have to make your claim inside the first year of ownership, and my cars is a GM Executive Car which also makes it excluded. So I am just stuck with it until I dump it.

I'll let you know what's up the next time my Humpty goes into the shop.

#202 ·
I can't blame you one bit, PROF. Well put.

I'm sure most if not all here will agree you have had more trouble than the next 3 people (with troublesome issues) combined, so much of it repeat. You have done everything you could possibly have done, and with a level of patience and persistence with your dealer (who didn't assemble the car but got stuck trying to make things right) and with GM that no one could surpass.

At no point while following your continuing saga did I feel any of your issues were knitpicking......all the items on your punch list of visits should not occur on any vehicle, let alone one that carries this marque and this price tag.

What many casual observers may not fully realize is that the time, the worry, and the gross inconvenience have had an impact on you and your family that cannot be fully measured in dollars and cents.......because you chose GM and Cadillac.

I am wondering what financial impact may confront you when you go to trade or sell the SRX. I would suspect that a CarFax and dealership records on the service performed on your SRX would be a real eye opener and a complete turnoff to anyone or any automotive concern interested in the vehicle. That bodes nothing good for you. You might be better off if your SRX was stolen.

From a pure dollars and cents business standpoint, how can you possibly be made whole, or partially whole? GM is at the starting point and at the end point in that question. I know what I would do in your position.....the same as you noted, move the car if and when I could. But.......

I can't picture myself going quietly into the night and taking the finacial bath. I'd be contacting Daniel Akerson – GM Chief Executive Officer & Chairman of the Board of Directors; or Mark Reuss – President, GM North America. Now some may observe as you have that no one at GM cares enough. But if bottom up isn't working, I'd be inclined to connect the dots and go top down.

We sometimes picture ourselves in a hopeless situation, a no-win situation, especially after a long unsuccessful battle the equivalent of beating a dead horse. You have done all of the heavy lifting legwork and documentation, PROF. What do you have to loose?

PJ

#203 · (Edited)
PJ,

Good words ... I have considering contacting "Superiors" at GM.. however those Sr Executives try hard NOT to be easily contacted by peon buyers such as myself who have become disillusioned by their GM Product.. It is obvious that GM Customer Service exists to head off those negative calls, and knock them out before they get that far. So I probably won't be bothering with that route anymore.

We do have to keep in mind, that GM thinks they sell cars to Car Dealerships first... and it is the Dealerships that sell the cars to us - that is their model. It is the Dealerships that GM wants to keep happy, NOT the Car Buyers :: Dealerships have a specific communication hotline setup for such things. So first, I will be putting pressure on my dealership to get me in communication with someone who cares at GM.

Car Fax is about 3 months behind - - It does show every visit to the dealership, but not what was specifically done. and you are correct - I fully anticipate taking a monetary hit when I go to trade in my SRX. A funny thing - I owned a new 94 Corvette for 2 years - and I took an $11k hit when I traded out that car. I am quite surprised at myself for trying another GM product after that debacle, but I truly thought, maybe after all those years, GM had gotten its act together.

Oh yes.. and my car goes in the shop again in a couple of days for Issue #44... The roof trim above the passenger broke over the weekend. I stopped by Elco, and they are ordering the part - I'll go back when the part comes in.

Actually :: If you include the light/AC control overhead of the 2nd row seat that falls out of the Ceiling every now and then, this is actually issue #45.

- and counting...

Good news is - Having Humpty in the shop so much is keeping me from putting miles on it. Gives me more time to get more things fixed before the warenty expires. I've got 4k left.

And a final note: My wife drives a 2004 Volvo S40... It has never been in the shop for a warenty repair on anything. She thinks I should have bought a Volvo! :)

NOTE: When I speak of Cadillac Customer Service - I do NOT mean Elizabeth, or Breanne who are part of a completely different team! They are Social Media Agents, paid out of a completely different division then those people you speak to over the phone.

They are really good people, and perhaps some day, they will actually be able to offer some help for us... But right now they can only listen to us and report their discoveries to others in the organization.

They are wonderful people, and we need them around, if we are ever to get any word back to GM that they have a serious problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.