So... What is wrong with your NEW SRX? - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, So... What is wrong with your NEW SRX? in Cadillac SRX Forums; Hasn't the timing chain issue been long standing? I don't understand why it would not have been mitigated or eliminated ...
    PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

Re: So... What is wrong with your NEW SRX?

Hasn't the timing chain issue been long standing? I don't understand why it would not have been mitigated or eliminated earlier in the First Gen SRX run. What am I missing?

Professor Wizard is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX-4 Sport / TriCoatWhite

PJ - - be careful, as you are thinking logical!

yes... Timing Chains have been a problem for the V6 SRX's since the 04's.. WHY GM hasn't fixed the problem by the 09' models is beyond me.

But - apparently they are "Ready".. the dealership has chains in stock, and a mechanic versed in installing them. They can do the whole job in one afternoon.

I found out last night they replaced all 3 chains.

Now the question is - - will my SRX require another Timing Chain replacement at 56k miles?

-- - - -

The dealership replaced the piece of plastic above the windshield because it had buckled and was sticking up in the middle, but to one side. One corner of the one they installed sticks up! I guess you can't win for losing! I'll get some JB Weld and fix the damn thing myself!

The new timing chains make a whine noise like a turbo - - pretty cool actually, but will take some getting used to.

I read in this forum about changes in the early V6 timing chains that were failing (changed hardness, pitch, addressed streching issues) but one would think.......oh, never mind. I may as well be talking about the finicky UltraView or 3rd row bin leak issues that have remained "engineering" challenges. Prof.....maybe your driving enthusiasm requires aftermarket timing chains with full race specifications.

PJ...

If Ford can get 310HP out of a factory 6 banger in their mustangs.. Surely we can get 315 out of a Caddy 6 banger!

I am starting to think getting that extended warrenty on my SRX, was a really good idea!

Southbank is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX

Hey Cutterman. You still around? I'm very interested in your Parot Bluetooth install. I am a new 08 owner and plan on adding Bluetooth, a rearview camera and Navtraffic.

I just bought an XM receiver out of a 2009 Buick that I hope will fix the lack of Navtraffic in my SRX. I had Navtraffice save me time twice last month in my 2008 Town & Country.

I would like to get Bluetooth by updating the Onstar module but that looks to be a tough part to get.

I'm curious about where and how you mounted the Parot. I keep looking at the space at the top of the upper panel (sunroof controls etc)

Let me know.. Thanks!

My car is running strong with the new timing chains.. BUT :: Now my gas mileage has gone from 18/23 to 16/20. I am hoping it is only because the computer has to relearn everything and will eventually re-tune.

Of course - - it never ends... Yesterday AM, I am uncomfortable and try to adjust the Lumber Support in the Drivers Seat.... it makes a noise.. Wirrrrrrrrrrrrr.. and that is it.. just a noise, nothing moves. I'll wait on this one and just add it to what ever I take her in for later - I am feeling confident there will be something else to taker her in on later.

Southbank :: Why don't you look for cutters profile and send him a PM... Rather then just blind posting in rooms "Hey Cutter".... I'm just curious. Did make me laugh though - remembering the kids going from Room to Room yelling MOM! into the doorway of each room.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Wizard View Post
    My car is running strong with the new timing chains.. BUT :: Now my gas mileage has gone from 18/23 to 16/20. I am hoping it is only because the computer has to relearn everything and will eventually re-tune.

Of course - - it never ends... Yesterday AM, I am uncomfortable and try to adjust the Lumber Support in the Drivers Seat.... it makes a noise.. Wirrrrrrrrrrrrr.. and that is it.. just a noise, nothing moves. I'll wait on this one and just add it to what ever I take her in for later - I am feeling confident there will be something else to taker her in on later.

Southbank :: Why don't you look for cutters profile and send him a PM... Rather then just blind posting in rooms "Hey Cutter".... I'm just curious. Did make me laugh though - remembering the kids going from Room to Room yelling MOM! into the doorway of each room.
    PROF......glad to hear the timing chains have done the trick. The fuel mileage will return.

Somewhere here I read about the SRX power lumbar issue. A guy posted he had to have some plastic gear in the power mechanism replaced twice, drivers' side only. He said he was heavier than most and concluded the platic gears that rotate a curved lumbar support disk in the seat can't hold up to the force exerted by his position in the seat working against the resistance.

His solution to avoid the problem in the future was to lean forward and take the pressure off the lumbar area of the seat while adjusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Wizard View Post
    PJ...

If Ford can get 310HP out of a factory 6 banger in their mustangs.. Surely we can get 315 out of a Caddy 6 banger!

I am starting to think getting that extended warrenty on my SRX, was a really good idea!
    Re the extended warranty, I have this argument all of the time with my family friends, and acquaintances. They think the additional cost for the warranty extension isn't worth it. And it may not be if one does not keep a vehicle beyond the original factory warranty.

But I buy used and drive the cars to the 9-12 year mark, to the grave so to speak. I have NEVER not had a warranty extension on an American car fail to pay for itself and then some. How many of us ever walk out of a car dealership or repair facility with an off-warranty bill less than $500?

Horse just wrote that a new trans on his 04 is going to cost him $3,200. That is about 60% more than I paid for my warranty extension from GM, in one single issue. Then I ask my family and friends who have had off warranty repairs on their cars what those have cost them out of pocket. Usually that puts an end to the discussion.

This conversation came up at my cookout over the 4th. One of these folks just had a trans and a power steering unit replaced off warranty in a Ford Expedition......he was the first to jump on my bandwagon. My SIL sure could have used a warranty extension on his MB.

Re the power discussion, the new Porsche 911 twin turbo is cranking 515hp out of their 3.8 liter horizontally opposed 6 on a "Sport Chrono" setting called "overboost." I think that gives us all some perspective about what Cadillac is capable of getting out of their V6 engines at a far more reasonable bump in price.

I can just picture you flying down the highway at 145 with those twin turbos singing and the boost gauge pinned while oblivious to your littering the road behind you with drivetrain parts.

The Wrench is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 SRX V6

Wizard, you said your new chains make a whirring sound?
    That ain't good, I suspect. New engines don't do that.
    Sounds like they did the usual: replaced the chains, and didn't replace the sprockets. In my experience, that's a pretty good way to insure chain noise -and premature wear of the new chain. But, then again, I'm no expert; they should know what parts to replace, since they are the engineers who designed the faulty system in the first place - Oooops!

I sure hope my '08 doesn't do that - it's starting to idle funky when first cranked. Got 30k on it, so I better keep my fingers crossed.

Oh, Charles complained about wind noise from the front. I had that exact thing (side winds, sounded different to driver/passenger. Turned out to be ultraroof not coming down quite all the way in the front when closed. The outer front seal to the roof had a gap you could see through, and wind got in there and whirled around. Simple fix, loosen the rear support arm screws and push the roof forward. There is just enough slop in the screw mounting to allow the roof to move slightly farther forward when closed.

DG

PJ... the problem with the problem on the lumbar is I only weigh 160, and I never move the thing! So, in the year I have had the car the lumbar has only been moved maybe 3 times.

As for drive train parts :: Isn't that what the nylon netting is for? To catch the parts as they come off?

Wrench, The whirring noise has diminished greatly, my gas mileage has improved ever so slightly. It is not all that unusual for DOHC cars to whir, as there is a lot of chain in there and they "slide" through the guides. My Honda Goldwing whirs like a damn helicopter.

It is usually NOT the chain that goes bad, but rather, the guides wear through and then screw other things up.

But for chains to go at 28K is just crazy! And then for a TSB to be out on them is just bad engineering or someone cut corners in the manufacturing process.

Hey there gang;

Well - - it has been 3 weeks since my SRX was "Re-Chained". My mpg has gone from my old average of 16/17 to 13... and stayed at 13. So - - back in she goes with that complaint... as well as when cruising down the highway, and I decide to increase speed at a "normal" rate of acceleration my SRX boggs at first then accelerates.

While they have it - I'm having them repair the Lumbar Support.. ... and... .. having the Trim above the windshield repaired again because it is lifting up on the drivers side.

I am going to make a prediction now... they will fix my lumbar... make an attempt at fixing the trim but not quite make it happen... and they will plug the engine into a computer, run diags and return the car telling me 13mpg is within normal specifications and the diags found nothing wrong.

Updates later!

Well... ... ...

Dealership just called...

They sent my SRX to a window shop and had the trim fixed.

They replaced the lumbar support...

and as I suspected :: They ran computer diagnostics on the engine and came up with no codes - so in their eyes nothing is wrong. 13mpg overall average is "normal".

I will be returning on this one I think.

chp350 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 srx 1997 etc 1993 allante 1970 coupe deville 1979 t/a

I have bought 7 new cadillacs and i can honestly say cadillacs are JUNK.. bought one new 06 srx and it gave problems on the way home..when the dealer could not fix it and would not take it back, I ran a carfax and found out he lied because it showed me being the second owner and it was sold as a new car in the showroom..the dmv had him to give all the money back instead of a hefty fine.
    Then I bought a new 07 srx v/8 all wheel drive with the sport package..the dealership can not fix the sunroof from poping, thay replaced the struts the same week i got the car..already have had the rearend replaced one time at 16,000 miles and its going in the shop tommorrow at 22,000 miles to have the rearend replaced again..glad its got the 4 year bumper to bumper warranty..after 7 or 8 new cadillacs and everyone of them having major problems I can Honestly say JUNK,jmo

Darth Xed is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX

Quote Originally Posted by chp350 View Post
    I have bought 7 new cadillacs and i can honestly say cadillacs are JUNK.. bought one new 06 srx and it gave problems on the way home..when the dealer could not fix it and would not take it back, I ran a carfax and found out he lied because it showed me being the second owner and it was sold as a new car in the showroom..the dmv had him to give all the money back instead of a hefty fine.
    Then I bought a new 07 srx v/8 all wheel drive with the sport package..the dealership can not fix the sunroof from poping, thay replaced the struts the same week i got the car..already have had the rearend replaced one time at 16,000 miles and its going in the shop tommorrow at 22,000 miles to have the rearend replaced again..glad its got the 4 year bumper to bumper warranty..after 7 or 8 new cadillacs and everyone of them having major problems I can Honestly say JUNK,jmo

So.... why do you keep buying them?

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Xed View Post
    So.... why do you keep buying them?

7 or 8 new ones, no less. There is something missing from this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.