So... What is wrong with your NEW SRX? - Page 24
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, So... What is wrong with your NEW SRX? in Cadillac SRX Forums; Originally Posted by repnatl Can you post a picture zoomed out some so I can get a better look at ...
    esSarRexX is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

Re: So... What is wrong with your NEW SRX?

Quote Originally Posted by repnatl View Post
    Can you post a picture zoomed out some so I can get a better look at it
    i can't. it's too tight. i had my mech put his iphone in that tight spot to take the photo. i had it towed to my garage this afternoon. my mech and i are going to see it monday afternoon. hopefully by then i would have a better perspective of the problem. and crossing my fingers and toes that it is on the front cover. i have the service manual but i cannot tell from the schematics.image.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by esSarRexX View Post
    i can't. it's too tight. i had my mech put his iphone in that tight spot to take the photo. i had it towed to my garage this afternoon. my mech and i are going to see it monday afternoon. hopefully by then i would have a better perspective of the problem. and crossing my fingers and toes that it is on the front cover. i have the service manual but i cannot tell from the schematics.Attachment 142793
    gone through the book and it looks likes it is part of the block...

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    That's what i was looking at this morning. You can probably weld some metal over it and tap and drill a new threaded hole but would. Have to be careful and make sure the pulley can sit flush.

That's what i was looking at this morning. You can probably weld some metal over it and tap and drill a new threaded hole but would. Have to be careful and make sure the pulley can sit flush.
    i greatly appreciate your input rep! i will suggest that to my mech. it's an aluminum cast block, i don't know how this will figure. if i ever visit your area it would be an honor to meet up with you and share a couple of brews. same here, if you get up far north, send me a note. i will keep you posted through this thread. keep on sending your ideas rep!

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Forget "welding some metal over it", a GOOD welder MIGHT be able to reattach the piece that cracked off. It would have to be done VERY precisely to make sure the threads line up.

Some grinding would be necessary on both the piece and block before welding. It may not be possible with the engine installed.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Forget "welding some metal over it", a GOOD welder MIGHT be able to reattach the piece that cracked off. It would have to be done VERY precisely to make sure the threads line up.

Some grinding would be necessary on both the piece and block before welding. It may not be possible with the engine installed.
    i will bring that up when i meet up with my mech MC. thanks for the advice! this is depressing --- all for a crack. but it is what it is. i love the car and i intend to keep it. this is an engineering flaw. how i wish...

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post

That's what I meant I should have went into more detail about it I apologize. But yes extreme precision is needed and not a backyard mechanic unless they are damn good. Its a very long process. There was a process for it I saw when I searched on yahoo or came off justanswer.com.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by esSarRexX View Post

i greatly appreciate your input rep! i will suggest that to my mech. it's an aluminum cast block, i don't know how this will figure. if i ever visit your area it would be an honor to meet up with you and share a couple of brews. same here, if you get up far north, send me a note. i will keep you posted through this thread. keep on sending your ideas rep!
    Anytime man definitely want to see how this plays out. I'm always down for brews brother . I'm around ft hood Texas last time I was up north so to speak was Aberdeen proving grounds for training beautiful area BTW.

That's what I meant I should have went into more detail about it I apologize. But yes extreme precision is needed and not a backyard mechanic unless they are damn good. Its a very long process. There was a process for it I saw when I searched on yahoo or came off justanswer.com.

----------

Anytime man definitely want to see how this plays out. I'm always down for brews brother . I'm around ft hood Texas last time I was up north so to speak was Aberdeen proving grounds for training beautiful area BTW.
    i'm waaay farther up north bro --- across the border. yeah, I looked your profile and I see you are waaaay down lone star star state. far drive... in the mean time, let me just give you a virtual bottle-of-beer-up "CHEERS!" ...Now going back to my problem... no worries bud, I know what you and MC meant. I work for Toyota Industrial Equipment and we have a vendor where we send our precision welding jobs and machining to. I'm just surprised how the Cadillac engineers positioned this mounting --- attached to the block. My mech called me an hour ago and we will cover all options. But right now the cheapest is just outright swap the engine with a used one. I'll keep my original engine for spare parts. Thanks for keeping tabs rep. I will keep my comm lines open on this. You all have a pleasant sunday evening down there!

Always wanted to go to Canada though have to make it a vacation spot one winter and thanks man. Hopefully it gets figured out it will really be a bad day if the engine had to be replaced.

orandaberg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

There has to be a better alternative then replacing a engine in a 2005 model SRX, that will not be your only cost, parts need replacing sometimes when removed, or other things break, you could damage a harness, the list goes on. If you want the SRX that bad get another 05, cannot be that much more then replacing a entire engine and labor and extras. One or two small mistakes during installation and then trouble shooting later could mean $$$$$$.

thanks for the advice orandaberg. rep, i'm still at it bro - research, research... this is just an illustration but hoping this is what i will get to see tomorrow... image.jpgimage.jpg

Yeah looks like that idler is next to the power steering pump on the block ouch. I believe the alternative of having someone really good with welding and precision can make another thread pattern vs the engine replacement. I'm sure removing the radiator Ac condenser and fan assembly should give more room to work. Also unbolt the motor mounts to tilt the engine up some at a better angle. Worst case remove the power steering pump and compressor and I believe that should give you plenty of room to work. If a shop does all that prepare to give up your first born lol. But in all honesty I think that should be manageable for a diy to remove those parts. Now just need to find someone who can remake that mount area and do it correctly.if I had the v8 I would be out there right now looking at this for you to get more of an idea.

rep, here's the fix --- a/c bracket. the bolt is around 2 cm under the damaged idler bolt hole. we had a longer bolt made up. shimmed the compressor out around 3-5mm. i had my mech take some photos. i will upload when i am able. am doing some more repairs since she's already in the shop and prepped --- replace rack & pinion (leak on bothe sides), replace rear links, replace water pump & all pulleys up front. ...to be continued...

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

I was going to say use some other holes and make a bracket, good plan.

If you end up welding the chunk back on just put the bolt back in and it will keep the threads lined up but it will be way too loose and just strip as you will venter get the broken chunk tight enough.

For further updates or other issues make a new thread as this will get buried in here and no one will see it.

orandaberg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I hope it works for you! But IMO it will be a temporary solution, you may get problems down the line, suppose that does not hold up, driving 55 and it all comes apart! I hope not, consider selling it after the fix and get another one or something else.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.