Cadillac Owners Forum banner
6K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  cfishkin 
#1 ·
There are a couple of posts that said that the cabin filter was deleted on 2007 and later. I have a 2008 and replaced the cabin filter as follows: remove the grill at the base of the windshield per owners manual, inside the opening you must remove a cover from the filter by lifting a tab on the left side (close to the fender) and lift up to the right releasing the tab on the right side. pull the filter up and out. Replace with a new filter (I bought item 4495 from NAPA for $19), re-install the filter cover and the grill. Very straight forward.

Good luck.

#2 ·
I did the same procedure on my 2005. Easy do-it-yourself item. I bought ACDelco filter on Amazon for about $20.

Dealer recommended this service and quoted price of ONLY (part & labor) $89. I nearly choked but was able to regain enough composure to say no thanks.

#3 ·
With the cost of labor at the local dealer I try and do filters and things myself. I take my wife's Seville in at least once a year for a dealer oil & filter change, last trip was $69 and that was not a synthetic. In between I change it myself or use a local oil changer.

#4 ·
Carguy, you are correct - my '08 V6 does have a filter. I was convinced it had been deleted, but your post made me go out and look again.
But WOW, what a tight fit. I tried for a bit to get the filter to slide back in without success, then the light bulb came on in my head.

TIP! pop the lower end of the hood strut loose and have a friend raise the hood to a vertical position. Then it's a 10-second job.

Thanks a lot. now if I could just find that infamous cargo net, I would have renewed faith in Cadillac.

DG

#12 ·
Carguy, you are correct -
TIP! pop the lower end of the hood strut loose and have a friend raise the hood to a vertical position. Then it's a 10-second job.

Thanks a lot. now if I could just find that infamous cargo net, I would have renewed faith in Cadillac.

DG
Is there any trick or technique to popping the lower end of the strut loose? Looks like you just pull them apart?? And do you have to pop both struts loose. I wish I knew that trick earlier as my knuckles still bear the scars of changing the filter w/o the tip. Very tight fit..Thanks.

#9 ·
That's ODD. My 09 has a cabin filter. Why GM would do something like this speaks volumes about their management abilities. Guess that's why they are in the shape they are.

BTW I was hoping the filter was actually something like a HEPA filter (that actually filters stuff), not just a filter like I have on my John Deere lawn mower.

#7 ·
Joe, my '08 is an early model, built Aug 12, 2007.
I thought sure mine didn't have the filter, there appeared to be nothing but a plastic molding under the grill. But, I pulled the grill off, and squeezed my hand into the small area in front of the molded plastic piece, and could feel the front of the filter pleats with my fingers. then I found the little plastic snaps on the sides of the molding as Carguy explained. If you're not 100% sure, just pop the hood strut loose and raise the hood on up for a good view.

DG

#13 ·
There is a "C" type clip at the bottom attachment point. I take a small screw driver and pull it part-way off, the strut swings free as soon as it's loose. Make sure someone is holding the hood or you have a broom stick in place to hold it up. Also, be careful on how far up you raise the hood, don't bend the narrow ends of the hood at each end of the windshield. Good luck.

#14 ·
There is a "C" type clip at the bottom attachment point. I take a small screw driver and pull it part-way off, the strut swings free as soon as it's loose. Make sure someone is holding the hood or you have a broom stick in place to hold it up. Also, be careful on how far up you raise the hood, don't bend the narrow ends of the hood at each end of the windshield. Good luck.
Thanks, carguy. You saved me from a day of frustration.:thumbsup:

#15 ·
I have just replaced the ACC filter in my 2007. I had to remove the screws that held in half of the plastic grill so I could bend the grill slightly out of the way. Then I was able to squeeze my hand into the area to undo the clip on the left of the filter cover. I was lead to believe there was also a clip on the right side. I could not reach the right side very well at all. I used a box wrench to try and flip it up. There was no clip, the cover just came loose. I took out the old filter without releasing the hood strut. I had to slightly bend the old one to get it out. I wiggled the new one a lot to get it in. I hope I got the air flow direction right. The one I pulled out was made by microtec (or something like that). I bought a microtec on ebay for $22 including shipping. It has a charcoal addition to the filter that the original one did not. After I put everything back together, I washed my hands and put neosporin on the cuts and scrapes on my arms.

#16 · (Edited)
... ok I'm pissed. This is ... without a doubt the MOST retarded design I've ever seen. I work on all my cars and have done this "simple" task on numerous vehicles. My wifes SRX takes the cake ... who in the hell designed this STUPID filter holder. No wonder they never get changed.

My BMW 5 minute task. Last week 2 minutes for the Z06. No wonder they are bankrupt. Idiots.

Still out .... and not going back in.

EDIT: OK the post below explains my issue. I tried for 20 minutes to get that damn filter under those top clips .......

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-first-generation-forum-2003/167683-diy-replace-cabin-air-filter-pictures.html

#17 ·
I don't think cabin filter location is any indication that GM doesn't know what they are doing - this is a pretty easy to access filter. It's basically the same as an Audi A4. Yes, I can change the 2 cabin filters on my BMW quicker, as they are mounted in the hood. But my BMW also has a second set of "recirculation filters" that are harder to access than the SRX - I have to put my head down by the pedals and my feet up by the headrest, and undo a few panels under the dash. THen do the same thing on the passenger side underneath the glovebox. It's not that tough, but the SRX is way easier.

I suspect the people that think they don't have cabin filters just haven't yanked on the right part, the filter is down in there but it doesn't look like it at first glance.

#18 ·
Just, some comments. I've tried it in the past with much difficulty, then I paid the dealer way to much, then I tried it myself with the advise here. The absolute best way to go is to pop off the the hood struts. (I did the tops, not sure if it matters.) Then you can see what your doing and is then very easy. Surprisingly you can easily do it yourself without any help. I held the hood up almost vertical with one hand and removed the filter with the other. Another tip is to spray WD-40 on the strut clip. It slide up. Careful, too far and it pops off, though it's easily put back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.