Cadillac Owners Forum banner

MY weekend trip in the caddy

3K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  edvanp 
#1 ·
So recently I picked up a 2008 (new) V6 with ultraview and everything but NAV. Rode back and forth from Boston to Long Island, about 220 miles each way. I got to say that the ride was very comfortable (about 3.5 hrs each way) I felt that power was more than adequate in the highway both in traffic, passing and merging. Noise levels were well controlled and storage space was adequate. Really wish the cargo area was about 6 inches wider but I cannot complain. The way back was much more satisfying....
The day was wet when we left NY and it only got wetter and rainier on the way into on I84 and I90. Driving this car in the hard driving rain was a sheer pleasure. The car plowed through it with ease and seemd to become even more grippy an smooth on the very wet road. I think the AWD system did a great job with this. Car had 3 adults and a baby (with car seat) and the 3rd row down with about 150 lbs of cargo. The trip computer displayed a 20MPG average at a avg speed of about 72 MPH (though I drove at 76-80MPH for long stretches). Now I wish the gas usage would be better but I guess you cannot have everything. on my next fillup the car needed 17.5 gallons of gas and it had clocked 287 total miles in the previous fill-up....a 16.5 MPG avg. all in it was probably 80% HWY and 20% city So that was a bit worrisome. Hope the gas milleage improves but alltogether the ride was awesome, it was great to drive at 80MPH in a driving rain storm without any worries or looseness at all! The powerband was is great from 20mph all the way to 80mph. just where you need it.

See less See more
#2 ·
My 2008 SRX N* V-8 had 6,000 miles when it started out on a trip from CT to FL. The best mileage was 18.1 avg mpg at speeds between 60 and 75. It did have full luggage in cargo. Dont think we can expect much more than that. I too am a bit disappointed with the gas milage. BTW My BMW 750LI which has 26,000 miles has averaged 26 MPG on the same trip (at speeds up to 80.) Why can foreign mfg. produce that mileage but American mfg. cant ??

#4 ·
The SRX has never been known for stellar mileage numbers. I suspect that you will see an improvement in your mileage after you get a few more thousand miles on your SRX. I drive a V8 North Star and am getting better numbers than you posted even with FL gas (ethanol blend). However, not being fully loaded with luggage as you were would make a difference.
Your 750iL should get better mileage because of it's gearing and power to weight ratio if nothing else. For example, my 400 hp Corvette will regularly turn in 26-28 mph highway mileage.

#5 ·
Except that the 750 weighs about the same as a base SRX - dunno about the gearing differences though.

The blocky face and higher ground clearance of the SRX will provide an aerodynamic penalty - I believe its drag coefficient is somewhere between .37 and .40 - whereas the older Bimmer, being a car that is more raked and lower to the ground has a drag coefficient a lot closer to .30.

Right there is a source of massive highway mpg difference - should account for much in the city, though.

#6 ·
The amount of wieght (passengers and cargo) contributes to the mileage variances also. My V6 in town averages 17 - 18 mpg with that I'm very satisfied considering the size and power of the vehicle. But I have noticed with four passengers and cargo the mileage will vary sometimes as much as 2 + mpg. Good posts Ocabrera.

#8 ·
I agree that gas mileage is poor (especially N*), but the perception is made even worse by a relatively small (20 gallon) gas tank and a very conservative gas gauge. I usually have at least 3 gallons left even when "empty," so it doesn't cost that much to fill up.

#10 ·
It is probably correct to assume that the BMW is a 2006 or 2007 because the OP stated that it had 26k on the clock. He also indicated that his SRX is a V6 rather than a North Star V8. The drag coefficient, power to weight ratio, amount of load, engine break-in miles, as well as the driving style of the operator all could be factors. Other V6 owners report better mileage numbers.
Some say that calculating the actual mileage rather than relying on the DIC will yield more accurate numbers.

#11 ·
It's all wind resistance (with some additional penalty for AWD).
The SRX is a tall, wide brick, with a huge rear turbulance zone, and lots of ground clearance to add underbody turbulance.
Wind resistance increases as the 4th power of speed, so resistance at 75 is approx 3.5 times as great as it is at 55.
One cool hint: when driving on the highway, shift to 5M. This stops the torque converter from hunting around and unlocking with every slight grade.

DG

#14 ·
WOW I'm surprised by your fuel mileage. I just bought a 2009 RWD V6 SRX and fully expected to average better than the window stickers 23 MPG. Every car I've purchased over the last 10 years met or bettered the HIGHWAY rating.

I can easily get 29 to 30 MPG in my 06 vette rated 28 MPG. I even get better fuel mileage in my wife's PT Cruiser rated at 25 MPG (highway) I easily get 26 and have gotten 27.

This will be my first GM car I couldn't match or beat the highway rating. Guess it's time to take a "fuel mileage" cruise to see what it will actually get in my hands.

#15 ·
My wife's 2008 V6 is a GAS GUZZLER. Tooling around town in Washington DC traffic, the computer says that her average speed is usually 20-25 mph and her gas mileage is 13-15 mpg. We took it on a trip to Florida and got 20-21 mpg. The gas mileage is the only disappointment so far, otherwise we love the SRX.

I also own a BMW 5 series sedan. It weighs about 1,000 lbs less than "The Beast." I usually get 23 mpg to 30 mpg on road trips. They are not the same car at all - a comparison is meaningless. The Beast is big, heavy, smooth, quiet and powerful. It is built like a tank. My Bimmer is smaller, nimble and smooth. She likes hers, I like mine. 'Nuff said.

#19 ·
I have an '05 V6, AWD and I just completed an 800 mile round trip last week. Half of it was spent going 60-65, the other half 70-75. I did 22.5mpg each way. The first half of the return trip, 200 miles, were done at 60-65 and the computer showed 24.5mpg, then the next 200 miles were closer to 75mph and it dropped it down to 22.5mpg. I think Mid 20s are certainly doable on the highway if kept below 70mph. Overall, it was good drive, very comfortable. The wife is averaging about 18mpg in everyday driving, half city/half highway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.