SRX V8 performance exhaust stats
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, SRX V8 performance exhaust stats in Cadillac SRX Forums; Got my 4.6L SRX w/all-wheel about a week and a half ago, and I absolutely love it. I have it ...
    Schwood is offline Cadillac Owners Member

SRX V8 performance exhaust stats

Got my 4.6L SRX w/all-wheel about a week and a half ago, and I absolutely love it. I have it in the shop today as I am having a pair of MagnaFlow performance mufflers put on. My question is, has anyone done any post-performance-exhaust testing on their SRX V8? What kind of hp boost will the exhaust add? Perhaps 10%?

-Schwood

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

mack1a is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS Performance Level 2006 CTS

Re: SRX V8 performance exhaust stats

Wow, a 10% boost on top of a 4.6 already getting 320 HP would really be impressive.

doncapecod is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

What does the manufacturer (Magna-flow) say the hp gains are. And of course you know that greater hp usually results in a higher top speed and that increased torque gives you a faster "take-off".

Well, I talked to my mechanic about this (he's the owner of the local Midas muffler and brake, and a friend, so I know he's not BSing me), and he said that the Magnaflows add 5-10% horsepower...which also goes along with what the Magnaflow website states.

After the upgrade, it is noticably 'punchier' than before. Also, for anyone concerned about the noise of performance exhaust, it has a really nice, deep low rumble, but is definitely not obnoxiously loud. From both the interior and exterior, you can tell that it is not the stock exhaust, but the quiet ride is still in tact.

Also, another little cool bit of engineering that I was unaware of, but noticed while my SRX was up on the lift is that there is a box that both pipes go into at about the midpoint of the car...not being the most automotive savvy guy, I thought originally that this was a single cat serving both sides of the engine, but as it turns out, there are dual cats up front...this box works to balance the flow of air between the two sides of the engine, which also improves performance over straight pipes. I'm sure there is a name for this box, but I'm not sure what it is...perhaps the more knowledgeable members of the forum can enlighten me. Way to go Cadillac engineers for going the extra mile!

All in all, a very nice upgrade that came in at $311.00. Highly recommended.

-Schwood

Dr Evil is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have a 2005 V8 with everything, and have contacted Borla and all of the other major players in the exhaust business, without success. The Magnaflow website shows some nice pictures of muffler shops building custom exhausts for a variety of vehicles, including a Ferrari Testarossa, using all Magnaflow parts, Y-couplings. brackets, etc.

Which specific mufflers (model name and part number) did you use? And which tailpipes did you add? Were you able to use the original hangers, or did you need ones from Magnaflow? I recently sent their technical support an email, and the reply stated that there was no specific application, and they offered no other suggestions.

Well, honestly, unless you're really amped to do a full exhaust system, it isn't necessary to replace anything but the mufflers, and maybe change out the baffle box with an X tube style balancer. All of the pipes are good 2 1/4" diameter from the engine back. Cadillac did a good job of getting the engineering right on the exhaust system.

As for the Magnaflows, I'm actually not sure what kind were used...I asked my mechanic to put on what he felt would be best (since he's in the muffler business and knows much better than I do). I'll get under there tonight to see if I can find a model/part number, and I'll take a picture or two also. As for the tips, I had them slice off and re-use the stock tips because I liked them a lot...I probably would have gone for the circular crome with the rounded end just like the stock ones, so why pay extra cash for 'em? And yes, he was able to reuse the original hangers.

-Schwood

Ok, here are a couple of pics...hopefully they can give some idea of how the new mufflers are mounted. Still wasn't able to find a model number for the Magnaflows though.

-Schwood

It appears that you have the center/offset ports, and they fabricated an angled connector at the intake. This looks like the model # 12586, 5" x 11" oval, 2.5" ports, specifically for larger displacement engines, seen on the Magnaflow website under "universal mufflers" which would be closest to stock. For all other potential SRX users, it is the size and shape which is the key feature. You can then add any of their various tip types.

Did you get the stainless steel finish?

No, it is the aluminized steel finish...the stainless steel 'look' was a spray that they touched it up with after it was installed.

All the rest sounds exactly right.

-Schwood

hog4oc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

is muffler 5x11 or 5x9? Looks to me like 5x9.

Dave

Please ask your installer to confirm the part number and/or size, or just measure the length of the muffler body alone. The actual length will not be 9'' or 11", but can be converted to the correct size from the Magnaflow website.

I just received an email from Jim Browning Jr. at Corsa Performance, who indicates that Corsa is in the process of developing an SRX exhaust system, which should be available "in coming months".

Dimensions are 9"x4"x14" laid out as follows:

-Schwood

Impressive graphic effects! Thanks very much.

Another email today from sponsor Lil Devil Motorsports:

The Eibach Pro-Kit lowering spring set (1.5") for the SRX should be available soon!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.