Potential buyer asks about nav in '04
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Potential buyer asks about nav in '04 in Cadillac SRX Forums; I hope to purchase an '04 SRX tomorrow with nav. Can someone provide me with a URL about the hardware ...
    GPSnV1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Potential buyer asks about nav in '04

I hope to purchase an '04 SRX tomorrow with nav. Can someone provide me with a URL about the hardware and software used in the '04s?
    My point of reference for comparision is Garmin's 2610 which has many good features and comes in handy with rental cars. Anyway, I am interested in things like saved waypoints, auto-routing especially when getting off route, turn-by-turn directions for how much of USA? For example, the maps used by the Infiniti FX45 (Zenrin) gives turn by turn directions for only 5% of the continental USA, but the SRX and RX330 apparently both used Navtech.
    http://www.autonav2000.com/Compare/compare2.htm suggests that the SRX may use a Deneso system which may or may not be like the one used by Lexus. I tested the nav in an RX330 this week and it failed my supreme test which is to find Falcon, NC the smallest city I drive to once a year.
    The only URL I know about Deneso is http://www.denso.com.au/dw/satnav/satnav_gen.htm which is not a complete fit.
    I did an incomplete search here which has helpful info, but have yet to see an answer to my specific questions. I am, however, interested in the earlier threads about stopping the "I Agree" button on start-up and being able to change routing while driving. I test drove an Escale recently and their system by Delphi at least allows you to change to five preset locations while driving.
    I would also like to know if the SRX has any laser issues with the V1. Some FX owners report that their ICC constantly sets off the laser alert on their V1s.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

sgilbert is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ('04 SRX N* AWD) '11 Lincoln MKT AWD

Re: Potential buyer asks about nav in '04

I'll attempt to answer SOME of your questions (not in any order)
    --Yes, the SRX uses a Denso system.
    --I have a Radar detector hard wired --to the rear wiper switch in the overhead console--and the NAV has never set off the laser warning.
    --If you can provide me an actual--but innocuous--address in Falcon, NC, I will attempt to program it as a destination and let you know if it "takes".
    --The system will reroute you automatically if you purposely or accidently go off route. It will attempt to get you to make 1 or 2 U turns 1st, though!
    --Waypoints are savable--not sure of the capacity for them.
    --Turn by turn direction ARE given--with verbal forewarning. Do not know the percentage of the US (and much of Canada, but not Alaska or Hawaii)

Let me know if any other questions arise.

Quote Originally Posted by sgilbert
    I'll attempt to answer SOME of your questions (not in any order)
    --Yes, the SRX uses a Denso system.
    --I have a Radar detector hard wired --to the rear wiper switch in the overhead console--and the NAV has never set off the laser warning.
    --If you can provide me an actual--but innocuous--address in Falcon, NC, I will attempt to program it as a destination and let you know if it "takes".
    --The system will reroute you automatically if you purposely or accidently go off route. It will attempt to get you to make 1 or 2 U turns 1st, though!
    --Waypoints are savable--not sure of the capacity for them.
    --Turn by turn direction ARE given--with verbal forewarning. Do not know the percentage of the US (and much of Canada, but not Alaska or Hawaii)

Let me know if any other questions arise.
    You can try 344 Brooks St. in Falcon, NC. After finding the thread that sent me to http://nav-gm.denso.co.jp/index.html I worry that several places I have to go will not be included.
    I'm also curious about having to use regions. If your trip in a day goes from one region to another, how does that work?
    Thanks much.

Firstly, "wifepoo" snatched my SRX about an hour ago, but will be back within the hour---I hope!

Yes, there are regions, but you will be forewarned to change regions when it gets to the "end" of the current region.

Check back soon for the Falcon report---sounds like a war plan, doesn't it?

later....

Firstly, "wifepoo" snatched my SRX about an hour ago, but will be back within the hour---I hope!

Yes, there are regions, but you will be forewarned to change regions when it gets to the "end" of the current region.

Check back soon for the Falcon report---sounds like a war plan, doesn't it?

later....
    I appreciate you helping me make an informed decision.

OK---I calculated a route to your address.

It found Brooks St in Falcon, NC, but not the address. It asked if I wanted the "mid-point" of the street. I answered yes. I then "zeroed" in on Brooks St. It is just north of Front street, and intersects with Godwin (which is also a neighboring town)

Did the NAV pass muster??

OK---I calculated a route to your address.

It found Brooks St in Falcon, NC, but not the address. It asked if I wanted the "mid-point" of the street. I answered yes. I then "zeroed" in on Brooks St. It is just north of Front street, and intersects with Godwin (which is also a neighboring town)

Did the NAV pass muster??
    What a relief! I got the number from Garmin's Mapsource and it may not be actuallu used so only care that it can find Falcon and knows a the major street. This is the smallest town I have to go to on two trips a year from OK through AR then into TN, GA, SC, NC, and VA.
    Thanks for working on this tonight. I am heading to the dealer first thing in the morning.

Terpnut is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Since I have the SRX w/Nav system, own a Garmin StreetPilot III and am very familiar with the Garmin 2610, I will add just a few of my thoughts. Unlike the Garmin 2610, the SRX Denso system:

- Does not automatically "time-out" or skip through the legal disclaimers (i.e. you MUST hit "I agree")
    - Does not have an interface for adding routes and waypoints from your computer
    - does not have a host of system and user configuration options
    - does not "expose" GPS system data

On the positive side, the SRX Denso system:
    - Has a nice, big beautiful display
    - Has dead reckoning
    - Is DVD-based (not CF card-based) so it holds more Navtech map data (i.e. all of the U.S. and a little more)
    - Doesn't fly off my dash and hit me in the arm everytime I accelerate hard.

Ideally, you have both. Like you suggest, I use my portable Nav system for rental cars and my non-Nav-equipped cars.

I'm glad I (we) solved your last stumbling block!

The SRX "ain't" perfect---but, all-in-all, is a fantastic vehicle, and far superior to most.

Enjoy it like I most certainly do!

Quote Originally Posted by Terpnut
    Since I have the SRX w/Nav system, own a Garmin StreetPilot III and am very familiar with the Garmin 2610, I will add just a few of my thoughts. Unlike the Garmin 2610, the SRX Denso system:

- Does not automatically "time-out" or skip through the legal disclaimers (i.e. you MUST hit "I agree")
    - Does not have an interface for adding routes and waypoints from your computer
    - does not have a host of system and user configuration options
    - does not "expose" GPS system data

On the positive side, the SRX Denso system:
    - Has a nice, big beautiful display
    - Has dead reckoning
    - Is DVD-based (not CF card-based) so it holds more Navtech map data (i.e. all of the U.S. and a little more)
    - Doesn't fly off my dash and hit me in the arm everytime I accelerate hard.

Ideally, you have both. Like you suggest, I use my portable Nav system for rental cars and my non-Nav-equipped cars.
    This is very helpful to me since my comparisions are Hertz Never Lost, Garmin SP III and now 2610. I also read the manual for the Delphi unit when I did a 24 test drive of the Escalade. BTW, it lets you bypass the I Agree button which many here would like to do.
    Do you remember how many waypoints the Denso takes? The Delphi unit took 30 and I think 2610 now takes at least 100 plus viapoints.
    I have wanted an OEM unit because on trips like next month I am on the road covering 4K over 4 weeks so I constantly have to move the unit around. And I was looking at getting an external antenna and a card bigger than 500K.
    Dead reckoning is a huge advantage.
    If, unlike the 2610, there is no code to get the Denso unit to change routes while driving, I go always pull out my AAA handheld calculator that tells me about POIs at upcoming freeway exits.
    Have you noticed places that the 2610 would find, but not the Denso in the SRX?

I'm glad I (we) solved your last stumbling block!

The SRX "ain't" perfect---but, all-in-all, is a fantastic vehicle, and far superior to most.

Enjoy it like I most certainly do!
    If the local dealer will give me a fair price for the SRX I want, I plan to drive it home this week.

Quote Originally Posted by GPSnV1
    This is very helpful to me since my comparisions are Hertz Never Lost, Garmin SP III and now 2610. I also read the manual for the Delphi unit when I did a 24 test drive of the Escalade. BTW, it lets you bypass the I Agree button which many here would like to do.
    Do you remember how many waypoints the Denso takes? The Delphi unit took 30 and I think 2610 now takes at least 100 plus viapoints.
    I have wanted an OEM unit because on trips like next month I am on the road covering 4K over 4 weeks so I constantly have to move the unit around. And I was looking at getting an external antenna and a card bigger than 500K.
    Dead reckoning is a huge advantage.
    If, unlike the 2610, there is no code to get the Denso unit to change routes while driving, I go always pull out my AAA handheld calculator that tells me about POIs at upcoming freeway exits.
    Have you noticed places that the 2610 would find, but not the Denso in the SRX?
    I don't know exactly the maximum number of waypoints the Denso stores but I believe it is much more than 30. I'll have to get back to you on that.

The OEM's "safety" lockouts while driving are my biggest peeves (see my numerous past posts on this). It infuriates me that most system features are disabled when the vehicle is in motion--it greatly diminishes the nav system's usefulness IMO. There are a handful of features you can access however, including showing POI's, when moving. You cannot set/change a destination, route to a POI in-route, etc.

Finally, I have not noticed any substantive differences in the accuracy of the maps or in the behavior of the routing/guidance. I have not however run both nav systems side-by-side, for a real comparison. I'll let you know if I do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpnut
    I don't know exactly the maximum number of waypoints the Denso stores but I believe it is much more than 30. I'll have to get back to you on that.

The OEM's "safety" lockouts while driving are my biggest peeves (see my numerous past posts on this). It infuriates me that most system features are disabled when the vehicle is in motion--it greatly diminishes the nav system's usefulness IMO. There are a handful of features you can access however, including showing POI's, when moving. You cannot set/change a destination, route to a POI in-route, etc.

Finally, I have not noticed any substantive differences in the accuracy of the maps or in the behavior of the routing/guidance. I have not however run both nav systems side-by-side, for a real comparison. I'll let you know if I do this.
    This probably does not help, but when I was looking at the Xanavi nav in the Infiniti FX, I thought someone posted pictures (in this forum - http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthre...at=&Board=FX45) of a cable that could be disconnected to stop the "I Agree" button on start-up.

cbf
    cbf is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I'm also considering an SRX purchase and took a couple of test drives to play with the Navigation system. It appears to lock out anything but route guidance unless the vehicle is stationary. Can't change destination, peruse points of interest, etc.

I find this completely unacceptable. When I'm driving with the family, my wife will frequently use our current Nav system (Audi allroad) to do things like find nearby restaurants, etc. while we're on the highway. Heck, a lot of the time I'm already moving down the driveway toward the destination while she's programming the exact details into the Nav.

My wife really wants this car, so we've gone through the trouble of getting quotes on 3rd party Nav systems (Pioneer system seems particularly sophisticated -- voice input in addition to touch-screen, and needless to say, no lock out), however installation in the SRX dashboard will be problematic. The installer is thinking maybe they can put the screen in front of the CD changer with some sort of hinge, so we an still load CDs. He'd be willing to cut the plastic to actually remove the CD changer, but he's afraid to deal with what he might find behind there. (I may get a service manual before even buying the car!)

If there really is a code to enable the Nav while moving (like the 1791 code for the movies), it would help us a lot. Otherwise, I'm seriously tempted to boycott this car..

Quote Originally Posted by cbf
    I'm also considering an SRX purchase and took a couple of test drives to play with the Navigation system. It appears to lock out anything but route guidance unless the vehicle is stationary. Can't change destination, peruse points of interest, etc.

I find this completely unacceptable. When I'm driving with the family, my wife will frequently use our current Nav system (Audi allroad) to do things like find nearby restaurants, etc. while we're on the highway. Heck, a lot of the time I'm already moving down the driveway toward the destination while she's programming the exact details into the Nav.

My wife really wants this car, so we've gone through the trouble of getting quotes on 3rd party Nav systems (Pioneer system seems particularly sophisticated -- voice input in addition to touch-screen, and needless to say, no lock out), however installation in the SRX dashboard will be problematic. The installer is thinking maybe they can put the screen in front of the CD changer with some sort of hinge, so we an still load CDs. He'd be willing to cut the plastic to actually remove the CD changer, but he's afraid to deal with what he might find behind there. (I may get a service manual before even buying the car!)

If there really is a code to enable the Nav while moving (like the 1791 code for the movies), it would help us a lot. Otherwise, I'm seriously tempted to boycott this car..
    Two suggestions:

1. Leverage your annoyance at the nav system's safety features with your Cadillac sales people to have them work on finding the bypass codes, if any. Perhaps the sales people will be motivated to solve your annoyance than the service people are to help us existing owners.

2. Search and find SonarTech's posts in the navigation system threads. He has already completely disassembled the center console and nav system and posted descriptions and pictures that may help your third party installer with what to do.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.