SRX vs AVIATOR
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, SRX vs AVIATOR in Cadillac SRX Forums; New to this forum and there is alot of information and research. To give you some back ground on my ...
    DCXFORDGM is offline Cadillac Owners Member

SRX vs AVIATOR

New to this forum and there is alot of information and research. To give you some back ground on my past purchases, I had a bmw x5 for over a year. It had over 11 recalls and two transmission failures plus alot of little things like switches for power items failing. To top it off on a sunny day, I decided to open the sunroof and after driving for a few hours I was entering some rain on he hwy and the roof would not close, well it wasn't fun for me or bmw of canada over the next couple of days. After about a month a sold the x5 privately and went to my lincoln dealer and road tested the aviator and wow what a truck, the interior is in my top 10 of all time interiors, the engine 32v v8 and 5 speed tranny worked really really well together and guess what no squeeks or rattles like the x5. Here's my problem my lease is coming up on the aviator and I would like to get another one but I have been looking, have not driven yet but thinking about trying the srx v8 model. Any thoughts on the srx on how it drives, build quailty and problems becasue to date I have not had 1 not 1 concern of a iten failing on the avaitor.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Johnz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: SRX vs AVIATOR

I was a Ford man for years and swore I would never by a GM product because of the many many problems I had when I owned a Chevy back in the 80's. I went to drive the CX90 and was very dissapointed. On the way out of the dealership I saw the SRX's and thought why not??? I test drove it and knew that was the car I wanted.

I have never test driven the Aviator. The SRX is a totally different animal than any other SUV. Again I haven't driven the Aviator but I will bet anything that the SRX ride is more firm but a lot more responsive and the V-8 power in the SRX will blow the Aviator away. I only have 4,000 on mine but it has not had any problems like some other people in this forum speak of. It is a late production car though and some of these kinks may have been worked out.

Good luck on your purchase wichever you choose.

b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black

Glad you liked the Aviator.
    I looked at it when they came out a couple of years ago, because I was interested in the engine(same as Marauder's) and the fact that it had a 5 speed auto, which the Marauder never offered.

One of the things I didn't lie about the Aviator was the high seating position and the fact that it was truck based not car based.

I think it is interesting that you say there were no rattles because i would expect a body on frame vehicle to have some.

seems like the Aviator is better built than I thought it would be.

The interior is absolutely gorgeous and first rate all the way.

I did not like the fact that it looked so much like a Navigator and I thought the price was kind of steep.

I have enjoyed my SRX a lot. It has not been perfect, but my V6 has lots of power and is very rewarding to drive because it has the characteristics of a
    sporty mid size sedan not a truck.

gman89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

The SRX is a tall sports sedan and the Aviator is a luxury truck. They have completely different personalities. The SRX with the V6 is nicely powered, but the V8 model is awesome. I don't think the Avaitor can hold a candle to it.

67Yv8t is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I only sat in the Aviator while looking at cars. It was too small, headroomwise for me (6'4") so we passed and went to the Navigator fora test drive. I still think the SRX has performance features that are far better than the Navigator. But the Interior of the The Lincoln is very rich.

DCXFORDGM is offline Cadillac Owners Member

This is one of the big reasons why I am leaning towards a 2005 lease or a 2004 deal lease with the aviator, I love the interior and the truck sounds great when cruising with the window down and the roof open and the hole dash has soft materials. I will look in at royfoss cadillac next week in toronto and pick up some info and pricing on the v8 model. The only thing is that I like sitting up straight and seeing a hood in frt of me not a curved hood and the srx is a bit smaller but it does look dam good from almost every angle. I am not sure if it's cheaper than the lincoln or alot more.

Msilva954 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 92 Deville

Im curious to how fast the 0-60 is on the SRX V8???? I know that the Aviator can do it in the low 7.xx range. There engines are actually semi-similiar. Sure the Cobra inspired SVT engine is 7 years old with no advancements but Id say the SRX 8 and the Aviator are actually pretty close in comparison. Definently go and test drive the SRX though being car based you may like the ride better.

b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black

SRX V8 will pull a 0-60 time as quick as 6.4 secs. I have seen some articles at 6.7 secs.
    Anyhow it is faster than the Aviator.

SRX will outhandle the Aviator.

If you do go for the Aviator remember that you are buying an orphan.
    Resale might be better on the Caddy, but Aviator is truck based and that seems to help resale, but not the driving dyamics which are important to me.

Vesicant is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None :(

SRX V8 - 0-60: 6.96 seconds, 15.31 1/4 Mile at about 95 mph

Aviator - 0-60: 7.55 seconds, 15.87 1/4 Mile at 90 mph

SRX: 135 ft 60-0 , Aviator: 140ft 60-0

Osogato is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I think Car and Driver did have the Aviator at 7.6 for 0 to 60, but that was the quickest I saw when shopping/researching. Others had it at 8+, which still is not bad for such a heavy vehicle.

The mags do have the SRX at 6.4 to 7.0. So you've shown the high number for the SRX and low number for the Aviator. Driving both I think you will readily feel the SRX is quicker and handles better. The Aviator interior was clearly superior, I thought.

Isn't the Aviator due to be discontinued very soon due to poor sales? I'm fairly sure that is the case. I did think it was a good vehicle though, just more truck-like.

Msilva954 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 92 Deville

"Isn't the Aviator due to be discontinued very soon due to poor sales? I'm fairly sure that is the case. I did think it was a good vehicle though, just more truck-like."

The Aviator in current form will become the next Mercury Mountainer. The next Aviator will be that of the Concept shown by lincoln on a new car platform.

James Nevin is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thumbs up Re: SRX vs AVIATOR

Hi there--We have had on lease both the X5 (sport pkg), the Aviator and now are 6 mos into the V8 SRX.

SRX superior to both in my opinion on ride,handling-certainly acceleration.

The X5 was bouncy and abundant in squeaks far more so than their superb sedans-(--We have had the M5 and M3 since 2001) It did handle extremely well--I did have a chance to try the X5 on their track in Spartenberg while there on the "M5 Experience"

The Aviator was a wonderful "truck" The suspension differences to the Explorer were noticable(front end)--great room in the third row seating in comparison to the SRX--I found the paint to be quite weak and very prone to car wash scratching(black)--Resale value dropped like a stone compared to the X5- Current product is being discontinued-Vehicle a great highway vehicle but a bit of a rocker in the twisties,-it is after all a truck.

The SRX 'IS' a sport vehicle like the X5-specifically with the magnificent magnetic shock system, Nav system the best we have had-third row seating a joke unless absolutely and infrequently needed--(which is our situation)--narrower width makes parking a lot easier--Great brakes and handling--plenty of power--very predictable in the curves--I think it could benefit from better winter grip--I hope Blizzak or Michelin have an "all snow" to fit for next winter--The standard Michelin all season are quick to loose side grip.

I think the SRX is the best of the bunch- I would take an X3 over the X5 -

The SRX is my wifes vehicle but I 'really' like it too. Sun roof is wonderful! .JP

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.