Busy Ride
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Busy Ride in Cadillac SRX Forums; Am I the only one who feels the SRX has a very busy ride? Everything in the road can be ...
    leschwa2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question Busy Ride

Am I the only one who feels the SRX has a very busy ride? Everything in the road can be felt in the accelerator pedal and driver's seat. We're talking about a V6 rear wheel drive vehicle. Great dealer has done his best to help, including switching me to 18" wheels and tires from the standard 17". But I still feel the vehicle doesn't have the ride comfort associated with Cadillac. And it's not just mine...I've tested others and they're the same.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

hog4oc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Busy Ride

The SRX has a very firm suspension which means rides more like Europe cars than domestic "big boat" ride. I drive V-6 and swithed to 18" wheel, you will have more bounce than 17" wheel. But I think the ride is very comfortable and very close to the Europe rides i used to have.

Cheers

Dave

Red Tornado is offline Cadillac Owners Member

The SRX is NOT the typical Cadillac associated with the elderly group that drive the sunny west Florida coast, but a new generation of vehicle made to compete with forwarding thinking European cars in it's class. Unfortunately, I have the number of years in to be included in the aforementioned group, but have attempted to prolong my stay in the younger thinking crowd by buying and driving a full-blown, Red-line colored, V-8, SRX! Somehow this seems to be working....yes, seats are a little hard.....no rain-sensor wipers.....cooled seats.....or interior gas tank release!! (That one really burns me!), but I've never had more fun in my life than punchin' that sucker and yellin' "YEEEEEHAAAAAA!!!"
    Hopefully there will be plenty of time for that "OFC" (ol' fart Caddy) in the years to come!! Thanks for letting me blow some carbon on this cyber-drive...

b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black

If you think the SRX has a busy ride then you need to drive the Cayenne, FX35/45 or X5 or even Toureag.
    The SRX has been voted to have the best ride quality in almost every magazine comparison test.
    I would personally like an even firmer ride and less body roll.
    SRX does have some head toss but any sporty riding, high center of gravity vehicle will have that.
    Also why would you go from a 17" wheel to a 18" wheel if you were trying to improve the ride?
    I would have stayed with the 17" wheel and the higher sidewall tires that go with it and dropped down to a luxury type lower speed rated tire.

miscreant is offline GM Connection

Quote Originally Posted by leschwa2
    including switching me to 18" wheels and tires from the standard 17".
    That's the opposite of what you'd want to do if you want to *soften* the ride! Go back to 17", and put something other than the firm side-walled Goodyear RS-A's on it.
    2004 Cadillac CTS (**SOLD** ): http://www.ctsowners.com
    2004 Pontiac GTO: http://www.myyellowgto.com

Wagoneer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

What's your cold tire pressure? My SRX was delivered with nearly 40 PSI cold, way above the recommended pressure. The prep guys probably forgot to drop the pressure back from the shipping pressure, which is high to prevent flat-spotting. At 40 PSI, I could feel every pebble. Make sure you are down around the recommended pressure, and stick with the 17" wheels.

b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black

Wagoneer,

Excellent point.
    I checked my tires the other day and they were all set a 35lbs.
    I think they are supposed to be at 32lbs.

Also a lot of guys at tire stores inflate the tires to what the max pressure is on the sidewall. Not the inflation pressures as posted on the driver's door jamb.

Red Tornado is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Mine came with 40lbs. all around and yes, you could feel everything. I've dropped mine to around 32 front, 34 rear and it's a vast improvement. I think I'll drop them more as stated on the door to 30lbs. front, 32lbs. rear.

snaayk is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have a V6, but I have the 18" tires from the V8, what would my tire pressure be? The V8 recomendations or the V6? Can a V8 driver tell me your recomendations.

MortnCyn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 N* Thunder Gray/Ebony AWD/NAV/MRC

Quote Originally Posted by Red Tornado
    Mine came with 40lbs. all around and yes, you could feel everything. I've dropped mine to around 32 front, 34 rear and it's a vast improvement. I think I'll drop them more as stated on the door to 30lbs. front, 32lbs. rear.
    Note you have the V8. The V6 recommended is 32 front and rear. Would guess that the 30 psi would soften the ride on the V8 with different size tires than the V6.

miscreant is offline GM Connection

Quote Originally Posted by snaayk
    I have a V6, but I have the 18" tires from the V8, what would my tire pressure be? The V8 recomendations or the V6? Can a V8 driver tell me your recomendations.
    V6 is 32 front / 32 rear
    V8 is 30 front / 32 rear
    2004 Cadillac CTS (**SOLD** ): http://www.ctsowners.com
    2004 Pontiac GTO: http://www.myyellowgto.com

inline6 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): SRX

Bottom line is the SRX is a luxury SUV and not a car. Ours rides no worse than my Tahoe and handles a heck of a lot better; well worth it. From our pre-purchase test drives. all of the SRXs rode the same except for the one we tried with the FE3 suspension. It hanlded very well, but rode much better; we could not justify spending the money for the 1SC package just so we could get the suspension however.

leschwa2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by b4z
    If you think the SRX has a busy ride then you need to drive the Cayenne, FX35/45 or X5 or even Toureag.
    The SRX has been voted to have the best ride quality in almost every magazine comparison test.
    I would personally like an even firmer ride and less body roll.
    SRX does have some head toss but any sporty riding, high center of gravity vehicle will have that.
    Also why would you go from a 17" wheel to a 18" wheel if you were trying to improve the ride?
    I would have stayed with the 17" wheel and the higher sidewall tires that go with it and dropped down to a luxury type lower speed rated tire.
    Thanks for the input. Because of the unusual tire sizes...rear larger than front....only Goodyear seems to offer tires for the SRX...I couldn't locate other mainstream brands with those sizes. It was the dealer's suggestion to switch to the 18" wheels, because that wheel gets Michelins, which are softer riding than Goodyear. And it has helped. Thanks again.

LS

beekay is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX V8 Ultraview MRC

As everyone else has said, this is a sports car/SUV hybrid. my Audi's are much firmer to the road and this feels very plush to me (v8, 18inch magride). i love it. It ain't your daddy's caddy...

enjoy the ride

bk

mack1a is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS Performance Level 2006 CTS

I am one of those West Coast Florida old farts referred to in an earlier post on this stream. I have owned or leased 2 Corvettes, 1 ETC and 3 Deville DTS sedans since 96 or so. I recently downsized from a 2001 Vette to a 2003 Blazer). I dropped the Vette because it was comming off lease and I being an old fart grew tired of having to crawl in and out when the top was up, I thought it looked silly for me to drive such a car and my bride wanted SUV or almost SUV height. That lasted for a few months. I am content when I drive the Deville DTS, but couldn't take it when I was stuck with the Blazer. The SRX appeared to be the perfect compromnise. It split the performace difference, maintained the height, was an American GM product (or so I thought), was available in Diamond White and dollar for dollar will beat the pants off of anything Germany or Japan has to offer. I am one of those odd folks who has never owned anything not manufactured by a U.S. Corporation.

I like the handling and yes, the "busy ride" is a little too entertaining after a few hours on the road. Believe it or not, an automtic Vette is less busy than the SRX. The vette only gets busy when you start really pushing things. Thats OK because you could feel the CTS/STS like driver environment on a test ride and it was no surprise.

But I must admit that the Cadillac craze to emulate anything Stuttfgart does is disappointing. Do the Cadillac people really think that if they screw up an all American brand to appease the Europeans they will come out ahead?

I miss the turn signal indicators in the mirrors, I have no idea why the non-locking gas cap is on the European side, Why did they move the cruise control from the steering wheel back to the old GM click the stick abonimation?

While the Sigma restart is refreshing in many respects you also have to wonder why they threw out the baby with the bath water. Do you suppose they could make all design twits at least take a ride in the old heritage vehicles such as a Deville DTS and make sure they don't omit the strengths and end up re-inventing an inferior solution.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.