Winter Tire / Summer tire question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Winter Tire / Summer tire question in Cadillac SRX Forums; Just purchased a used set of rims ( OEM's) and a buddy of mine sells me his slightly used Winter ...
    Retep is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac SRX '04 AWD V8

Winter Tire / Summer tire question

Just purchased a used set of rims ( OEM's) and a buddy of mine sells me his slightly used Winter tires (Pirelli Scorpio Snow & Ice - came off from a VW Touareg 255/55/18 with less than 10.000 miles).
    Here in Quebec it is mandatory to have winter tires on all 4 wheels (new law starting Dec 15th).

Presently my 2004 V8 AWD got Michelins (Pilot MXM4 - I think) all season tires on - 2 of them seem to have still good thread on it and the other 2 seem to be almost finished.
    (Don't know how much milage is on any of them, since I bought this car used about 2 weeks ago).
    FWIW - the 255's , which still look decent are mounted in the front and the 235's (shabby) are mounted in the rear. .

I was reading some opinions here on the forum ( ) about those Michelins and it seems most people don't like them too much anyways.

OK - my question is the following : Should I dump all Michelins come next spring and get summer tires instead of all season tires ?

Am I right in my assumption that a summer tire will last longer than a all -season tire ?

Thanks in advance

Peter

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

PbPedis is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX AWD V6

Re: Winter Tire / Summer tire question

Summer tires are formulated to give you more grip which generally means shorter life. If you look at ultra high performance tires, their lifespan is usually very short. I would stick with all seasons because if you ever get caught in an early fall or late spring snowstorm with summer tires on, you may as well park your car as it is dangerous, even with AWD.

john d is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

[quote=Retep;1628928] FWIW - the 255's , which still look decent are mounted in the front and the 235's (shabby) are mounted in the rear. .

another reason to dump the whole car....fronts should be on back and vice-versa. Someone rotated the tires...a big no, no.
    more proof that it's been screwed with beyond belief!

Northern SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-4 3.6 & 2008 SRX-4 V6

Retep,

Yeah, it appears that somebody rotated those tars of yours when they shouldn't have. Cadillac recommends against it. Not the end of the world but the 235s should go up front and the 255s in the back. Some move to 255s all around - which is what you're doing for the winter. Frankly, the winter ride benefits from a narrower tire up front but you did get a deal. And, let's face it, Cadillac engineers calculated that the vehicle handled best with 235s up front and 255s out back. Others will argue but I've so far stuck with that set-up.

I don't find the Pilots awful in the summer but they aren't so great in April and October-November when cold weather can be a problem in our climes. I have 2 sets of wheels and put the Pilots on in early-mid May and take them off in late October to early November. The rest of the time, I used a set of Nokian WRs which work very well.

You'll find that the size of tire seriously limits your choice of tires but the summer and all-season range is better than the winter ones - or so it used to be.

robhersch is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 SRX N*V8 RWD; 1999 DeVille Concours

Quote Originally Posted by Northern SRX View Post
    Retep, Yeah, it appears that somebody rotated those tars of yours when they shouldn't have. Cadillac recommends against it. Not the end of the world but the 235s should go up front and the 255s in the back. Some move to 255s all around .................. And, let's face it, Cadillac engineers calculated that the vehicle handled best with 235s up front and 255s out back. Others will argue but I've so far stuck with that set-up............
    You'll find that the size of tire seriously limits your choice of tires but the summer and all-season range is better than the winter ones - or so it used to be.
    I originally agreed that Cad engrs selected 235/60-18 (F) and 255/55 (R) probably for a variety of reasons including the german testing; but we found that the 235 OEM Michlins on our 2005 SRX N*V8 RWD wore faster on both inner & outer edges. We not only monitored pressure, had nitrogen added, had alignments from both our Cad dealer and a highly rep independent alignment shop to calibrate our tire wear under our driving.

We would prefer to replace all 4 with same size; and as an experiment, we "rotated F>R, R>F" to check wear, turning interference, handling (our typical driving), ride, etc. We find (for us) insignificant differences with the 235s rear and 255s front - except that the 255/55s are wearing much more evenly than the 235/60s on the front of our SRX!!!!

Technical Data from Tire Rack -- NOTE below:
    Specs: 18"OEM Michelin 18"GoodYearEagleRespEdge 20"OEM GY RS/A
    Size: 235/60 255/55 235/60 255/55 255/50
    Max LD: 1874 1984 1929 2039 1984
    Sect Wd: 9.5 10.4 9.4 10.4 10.4
    Tread Wd: na na 8.1 8.7 8.6
    Dia: 29 29 29.1 29 30.1
    Revs/Mi: 723 717 718 720 690
    UTQG: 300AA 300AA 440AA 440AA 260AA

Our conclusions from tech data, our experiment, and Tire Rack surveys :
    1) 2008 SRX Sport Model went to same 20" size on all 4 wheels (does the sport model suffer from degraded handling or does the sport model have unique suspension or steering parts - with normal SRX suspension ??)
    2) 255/50-20 almost identical to 255/55-18 except for dia, revs/mi (0.434% speedo error)
    3) Cad cannot claim 255/55-18s on all 4 has more warranty liability than 255/50-20 on all 4
    4) We found no rubbing or other interference on front end or steering.
    5) Replacing all 4 tires with 255/55-18 allows normal tire rotation to distribute wear patterns
    6) Replacing all 4 OEM Michelins with 4 - 255/55-18 GoodYear Eagle Response Edge makes practical sense!!
    Good luck with your solution.

We still love our SRX and we would again select SRX over all others we drive tested !!

Northern SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-4 3.6 & 2008 SRX-4 V6

Quote Originally Posted by robhersch View Post
    I originally agreed that Cad engrs selected 235/60-18 (F) and 255/55 (R) probably for a variety of reasons including the german testing; but we found that the 235 OEM Michlins on our 2005 SRX N*V8 RWD wore faster on both inner & outer edges. We not only monitored pressure, had nitrogen added, had alignments from both our Cad dealer and a highly rep independent alignment shop to calibrate our tire wear under our driving.

We would prefer to replace all 4 with same size; and as an experiment, we "rotated F>R, R>F" to check wear, turning interference, handling (our typical driving), ride, etc. We find (for us) insignificant differences with the 235s rear and 255s front - except that the 255/55s are wearing much more evenly than the 235/60s on the front of our SRX!!!!

Technical Data from Tire Rack -- NOTE below:
    Specs: 18"OEM Michelin 18"GoodYearEagleRespEdge 20"OEM GY RS/A
    Size: 235/60 255/55 235/60 255/55 255/50
    Max LD: 1874 1984 1929 2039 1984
    Sect Wd: 9.5 10.4 9.4 10.4 10.4
    Tread Wd: na na 8.1 8.7 8.6
    Dia: 29 29 29.1 29 30.1
    Revs/Mi: 723 717 718 720 690
    UTQG: 300AA 300AA 440AA 440AA 260AA

Our conclusions from tech data, our experiment, and Tire Rack surveys :
    1) 2008 SRX Sport Model went to same 20" size on all 4 wheels (does the sport model suffer from degraded handling or does the sport model have unique suspension or steering parts - with normal SRX suspension ??)
    2) 255/50-20 almost identical to 255/55-18 except for dia, revs/mi (0.434% speedo error)
    3) Cad cannot claim 255/55-18s on all 4 has more warranty liability than 255/50-20 on all 4
    4) We found no rubbing or other interference on front end or steering.
    5) Replacing all 4 tires with 255/55-18 allows normal tire rotation to distribute wear patterns
    6) Replacing all 4 OEM Michelins with 4 - 255/55-18 GoodYear Eagle Response Edge makes practical sense!!
    Good luck with your solution.

We still love our SRX and we would again select SRX over all others we drive tested !!
    I agree with the benefits of going 255s front and back for the summer but I was actually making reference to winter driving when, in principle, a narrower tire up front provides better traction and better handling while braking in encounters with loose snow or cold/gelled slush. I will concede, though, that by the time you're in the 235-255 territory, you're already into a pretty wide territory and the difference might not be astounding. Still, I'll take any edge I can as I encounter these conditions relatively frequently in our winters.

On the summer tire front, I won't argue the point as I am not dogmatic about this - I replaced the OEM tires at roughly 20k miles with another set of OEMs more because I got them for virtually nothing (they came with the 2nd set of rims that I bought for $800 and tires and rims had ~20 miles on them) than because I liked the tires or staggered set-up. Yes, I would have preferred same size all around for rotating - as you say - but I also recognize the rule of thumb that the larger the contact patch up front, the more sluggish the steering will be. However, there are many SRX owners who switched to 255s up front who say that they don't notice a difference in ride or steering and, since I haven't done the experiment, I have a weak voice on that matter.

But, what I will say (again, from what I've read) is that going with 255s all around will give you a noticeable improvement in tread life and the price you pay for that advantage appears to be an insignicant difference in handling.

Still, for winter driving, I'm going to stubbornly stick with the narrower contact patch.

z32drifter is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 05 SRX V6

I'm still not sure of Cadillacs logic with staggered tires on the same size wheels. Our fronts were toast around 38k but the rears are still about 30%, I replaced the fronts with a used pair of 255s (can't beat free). I can't tell a diff in steering feel or ride. I will replace the current miss-matched set with summer tires in the future. We don't have to worry about snow here in Florida so I'm going with the 255s all around. One advantage of the summer tires is the "rim protector" built into the side wall, that and the larger 255should help my wife avoid grinding the wheels on curbs when parking.

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

More front grip in the winter is bad, you don't want overstreer.

Now not that 20mm is really going to do that.

I use 235 all the way around for winter, Kumho KW19 (studded) and Continental Crosscontact UHP in a 255 all the way around for summer.

I am supper happy with the setup and the Conti's have been great so far.

Many people disagree but all season tires suck, the end. You don't wear boots to play tennis and you don't wear flip flops to play in the snow. If you live where you get snow and sun you need two sets of tires, fine if you live in Vancouver but Calgary not so much.

Once again I don't care to fight about it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.