Drivetrain drone and GM service
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Drivetrain drone and GM service in Cadillac SRX Forums; My SRX has the drivetrain drone / whine that some people have reported. When describing it to the service manager, ...
    Wagoneer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Drivetrain drone and GM service

My SRX has the drivetrain drone / whine that some people have reported. When describing it to the service manager, I told them that it happens at a variety of speeds, but that it was most noticeable at 70 mph. The service manager informed me that "they" (the dealership? Cadillac? GM?) are not allowed to diagnose or repair issues that occur at speeds over 65 mph, since 65 mph is the fastest speed at which the vehicle should ever be operated.

Is this really GM policy? Can I find a GM exec who's willing to say that their cars are not designed for speeds over 65, please? I can't wait to publish that. GM is making great strides, but gaffes like that show they're not ready to play with the Big Boys yet ...

Heck, at least the SRX is a family car. I can't wait until they tell XLR and CTS-V owners that their cars aren't designed for speeds greater than 65. :rolleyes2

In the meantime, I told them that they should be able to hear it at 60 as well ...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BUILDINGCTSAMG is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Drivetrain drone and GM service

Well i know here in georgia the speed limit goes up to 75 in some areas so i would say that is b.s.....but i also see that point that he doesnt want to go out and test drive it an get a ticket and then lose his job for speeding in a customers car

Heh, the cops on the Beltway and I-270 won't ticket you for 70. Otherwise, nobody around DC would have a license left. In fact, if you're going 55 they'll probably tell you to speed up before you cause an accident.

Anyway, I offered to drive but the Service Manager stood by the assertion that they were not allowed even to be in a car operated at "unsafe speeds" and hence could not diagnose the problem.

Brett is offline Watching the Watchers

sounds like a dealer who doesnt want to screw around with a problem he cant fix.

doncapecod is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Yeah, and ask him what Montana drivers are supposed to do

Terpnut is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Wagoneer--I noticed you seem to be in the Montgomery County area. What dealer are you going to? My dealer, Miller Bros in Ellicott City, is very small and has admitted to me that they have very little experience servicing the SRX and it shows. I took my truck in for the ABS campaign and three defects/problems and they only did the campaign. They also ambushed me with a $63 oil change. They claimed that the SRX requires Mobil 1? I'm very frustrated with them and am looking for a different dealer for service--probably Capitol Cadillac since they are HUGE. Any thoughts?

b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black

Terpnut,

Yep the SRX requires Mobil 1.
    Look on the filler cap. "Mobil 1" is imprinted on it.
    The manual says you can go a year without changing it.
    Something I am unwilling to do.

My dealer told me a oil change would be $70.
    I went to Advance Auto and bought 6 qts of Mobil 1 for $27.
    Srx takes 5.6 qts.
    They provide the oild filter and charged me $17.93.
    So I had $45 in the oil change.
    Would have been cheaper if I had provided the filter.

Well, the SRX probably doesn't require Mobil 1 any more than my previous Volvo "required" Pirelli tires and Penzoil oil. The latest trend is for auto manufacturers to partner with various other auto part and supply manufacturers to get those manufacturers' names stamped all over the vehicle and manual. I would, however, use fully synthetic oil ... but that's just me. I've used Mobil 1 in my previous vehicles by choice and found it to be a very good oil, so I don't have any issue putting it in the SRX. And yes, as a full synthetic it should easily out-last conventional oil.

FYI, my dealer is Jim Coleman in Bethesda. I've been happy with them so far (the dealer-imposed 65 mph speed limit was more amusing than annoying, at least so far). As for their experience, when I asked if the service manager if she had heard of my complaint before, she replied, "Not in the SRX." I'm guessing she's at least heard of the CTS version of the complaint.

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Quote Originally Posted by Wagoneer
    Well, the SRX probably doesn't require Mobil 1 any more than my previous Volvo "required" Pirelli tires and Penzoil oil. The latest trend is for auto manufacturers to partner with various other auto part and supply manufacturers to get those manufacturers' names stamped all over the vehicle and manual. I would, however, use fully synthetic oil ... but that's just me. I've used Mobil 1 in my previous vehicles by choice and found it to be a very good oil, so I don't have any issue putting it in the SRX. And yes, as a full synthetic it should easily out-last conventional oil.

FYI, my dealer is Jim Coleman in Bethesda. I've been happy with them so far (the dealer-imposed 65 mph speed limit was more amusing than annoying, at least so far). As for their experience, when I asked if the service manager if she had heard of my complaint before, she replied, "Not in the SRX." I'm guessing she's at least heard of the CTS version of the complaint.

I think you are misunderstanding things a bit.....

The 4.6 Northstar with VVT in the SRX requires synthetic oil for several reasons.

One, the engine does not have an oil cooler so, for those very few situations where the oil might get hotter than 305 F (like a track day...???) the system is protected for the ultra-high oil temperatures without adding the expense, complexity and leak potential of an external oil cooler to every vehicle.

Two, the VVT (Variable Valve Timing) mechanism uses the engine oil pressure as the motive force for moving the cam shaft phasers per the control of the PCM. This is more a hydraulic system than a lube system and the control system response of the hydraulic controls is very dependent on the acutal viscosity of the oil. The viscosity characteristics of the synthetic oil over a wide range of temperatures is better suited to the hydraulic operation than conventional motor oil. In short, it allows earlier phaser operation when the engine is cold and improved phaser response under varying oil temps.

All synthetic oils are not equal. There is far more difference between some of the various synthetics on the market than there are between the conventional motor oils. GM has done extensive testing of synthetics and has a specific test specification for synthetic engine oils. Currently, ONLY Mobil1 meets the standards so ONLY Mobil1 is spec'd for the VVT Northstar.

As an example, one of the more popular synthetics, Amsoil, does not currently meet even the GF3 ratings for gasoline engines that is required for all lube products in gasoline engined passenger cars.

There are a number of other engine manufacturers that also spec ONLY Mobil1 in engines where high oil temp and/or VVT operation requires it.

Personally, I would recommend using the Mobil1 instead of an alternative "synthetic" product. The engine was designed/developed/validated with Mobil1 so if you use another product you are doing the "testing" and "validation" of the product in the engine.

Follow the oil life recommmendation. If you should happen to drive a schedule that allows 1 year between change intervals (unlikely if you drive the car much) then follow the oil life monitor recommendations and drive it a year. The engine will be fine. The oil life monitor takes many many variables into account and is the only true way to accurately schedule the oil change intervals on any given engine. The oil life monitor takes YOUR driving schedule, temps, trip length, etc... into account and tells you real time how much oil life is left. The oil change recommendations are NOT catagorically 1 year. If the drving schedule is very light duty and with frequent long trips the oil change interval can be as far as 12,500 miles....which could be 1 year I guess under optimum situations but that would be a rarity I would say. Just follow the oil life monitor...it is far more accurate than any "old wives" tales about when to change the oil.

The engine is designed so that it does not deplete the oil nearly as quickly as engines of yesteryear and the engine is far more tolerant of "used" oil than earlier engines. Roller followers, gerotor oil pumps, roller chains, no distributor or oil pump gears, etc....all are design features which allow the oil to last longer and the engine to be far more tolerant of long interval oil changes.

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

[QUOTE=b4z]

The manual says you can go a year without changing it.
    Something I am unwilling to do.

QUOTE]

I think the manual says to follow the oil life monitor for recommended oil change intervals. It does NOT say that oil changes should catagorically be done on a yearly basis. It says that IF the user schedule allows the oil life interval to stretch out beyond a year (the 12,500 mile cap for oil life) then do not excede 1 year before changing it.

This can happen with an occasional use car...say you leave your SRX in Michigan for the winter while you drive the motor home to Florida. You might not reach the 12,500 maximum oil life interval (light duty, long trip conditions) while in Michigan for the summer, then the car sits all winter. The 1 year time period could be exceded like this before the oil life monitor schedules a change.

In no way does the printed oil change recommendations indicate that it should ONLY be changed once a year.

BTW....if the oil life monitor is headed toward the 12,500 mile change interval due to your driving schedule then I would not hesitate to follow it...even if it approaches a year between chanages. The oil life monitor is the only accurate way to know when to change YOUR oil so I would recommend followoing it. Just don't excede one year between changes.

sgilbert is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ('04 SRX N* AWD) '11 Lincoln MKT AWD

b4z,

The V8 takes 7.5 quarts---the V6 takes 8 quarts.

You had better check your oil level ASAP.

miscreant is offline GM Connection

Quote Originally Posted by sgilbert
    b4z,

The V8 takes 7.5 quarts---the V6 takes 8 quarts.

You had better check your oil level ASAP.
    No, the V6 with filter takes 6 quarts and the V8 with filter takes 8 quarts...
    2004 Cadillac CTS (**SOLD** ): http://www.ctsowners.com
    2004 Pontiac GTO: http://www.myyellowgto.com

miscreant is offline GM Connection

Quote Originally Posted by Wagoneer
    My SRX has the drivetrain drone / whine that some people have reported. When describing it to the service manager, I told them that it happens at a variety of speeds, but that it was most noticeable at 70 mph. The service manager informed me that "they" (the dealership? Cadillac? GM?) are not allowed to diagnose or repair issues that occur at speeds over 65 mph, since 65 mph is the fastest speed at which the vehicle should ever be operated.

Is this really GM policy? Can I find a GM exec who's willing to say that their cars are not designed for speeds over 65, please? I can't wait to publish that. GM is making great strides, but gaffes like that show they're not ready to play with the Big Boys yet ...

Heck, at least the SRX is a family car. I can't wait until they tell XLR and CTS-V owners that their cars aren't designed for speeds greater than 65. :rolleyes2

In the meantime, I told them that they should be able to hear it at 60 as well ...
    Well, dealerships are "actually" not allowed to drive a vehicle over the state maximum speedlimit. Is it 65? What state?

Seem's like a pretty lame excuse, but it could actually be true under literal terms.

Is the drone gas sensitive - does it come and go as you push on the gas pedal?
    2004 Cadillac CTS (**SOLD** ): http://www.ctsowners.com
    2004 Pontiac GTO: http://www.myyellowgto.com

sgilbert is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ('04 SRX N* AWD) '11 Lincoln MKT AWD

miscreant (Ron Sonedecker),

I quote page 5-109 in the owners manual:

Engine Oil with Filter

3.6 HFV6: 5.6 quarts (OK, I was wrong here!)

4.6 V8: 7.5 quarts AWD; 8 quarts RWD

We both stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by miscreant
    Is the drone gas sensitive - does it come and go as you push on the gas pedal?
    Yes, the noise is only apparent when cruising under light throttle. It disappears as soon as I let up on the gas, and fades out if I start accelerating. Based on what I've read, it seems likely to be the same differential problem that some CTS owners have.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.