Drivetrain drone and GM service - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Drivetrain drone and GM service in Cadillac SRX Forums; Rear end whine is an all too common problem with the CTS and SRX. GM is definitely aware that there ...
    JoeCaddy1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Drivetrain drone and GM service

Rear end whine is an all too common problem with the CTS and SRX. GM is definitely aware that there are many complaints in the field. There are two possible problems, a noisy gearset in the rear end or a leak (most often from the side cover seal) which causes the gearset to become noisy. If there is a leak, repair of the side cover seal and replacing lost fluid sometimes fixes the problem. If you don't have a leak, then the only fix is to replace the rear end.

If you can get your dealership to replace the rear differential, try to take it easy for the first 500 miles. It is no gurantee, but it is recommended by the supplier.

Rear end whine is not "normal" but it is common. It is one of the highest warranty items on the CTS/SRX.

Devil_concours is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

i took my cts to lindsay and went out for a test drive with a tech. He acknowledged that there is a rear diff around at the speeds that i described and he will call gm for a solution (according to my service manager yesterday, my rear diffs are going to be replaced but it will be another week they get another rear diff in).
    Hey wagoneer, try lindsay cadillac in alexandria, va.

Wagoneer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

The dealer just returned my SRX to me today, after working on the car for 10 days. I did not get to talk to the technician, but the invoice makes it look like they replaced every shim in the drivetrain. There were about 10 different shim part numbers on the list. The invoice noted that one of them in particular is a different size than the original.

The results are not perfect, and I'm skeptical how long they will last. The noise used to occur starting at around 50 mph, and be particularly noticeable around 60 and 70. It is now quiet around 60, but can be heard softly at around 70. As I mentioned in my initial post, the dealer's policy is that they cannot diagnose or repair problems that occur at speeds above 65 (the maximum in Maryland), so I might be SOL if it continues to bother me but only at higher speeds. I have not tested sufficiently to determine if there are other speeds where the problem still occurs.

67Yv8t is offline Cadillac Owners Member

It might warrant a trip across a border to a state that has a more progressive speed policy.

Devil_concours is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by 67Yv8t
    It might warrant a trip across a border to a state that has a more progressive speed policy.
    i asked the mechanic that went out for a ride with me if that was true and he said they are not allowed to break the law but they still do little bit over highway speed (also they use hov lanes on 395 where posted speed limit is 65)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.