Type of fuel
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Type of fuel in Cadillac SRX Forums; Hi, just purchased 2006 srx v8, what kind of Fuel I shuld be using?thanks....
    nauzad1966 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Type of fuel

Hi, just purchased 2006 srx v8, what kind of Fuel I shuld be using?thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

sgilbert is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ('04 SRX N* AWD) '11 Lincoln MKT AWD

Re: Type of fuel

You SHOULD be using 91 octane. That being said, I have over 50,000 miles on my '04 using 87 octane exclusively, and have never had a problem. Plenty of power, smooth acceleration and idle. I can usually squeek by 20 mpg at 70+ mph.

taloniilm is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '08 V-6 Sport Thunder Gray w/ Gray and Ebony

Thumbs up Re: Type of fuel

I'm running 87 in my V6 with no problems... Average MPG is 29 !!!

cfishkin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Please double-check your match. No SRX gets 29 mph. If that was the case, the gas price crisis would be over. Best I've gotten with a combination of easy local and easy highway combined on a tank was 22.5. (I reset all the readings. Remember, there is an AVG MPH and a MPH AVG on the 'computer'.

Northern SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-4 3.6 & 2008 SRX-4 V6

I've hit 30 mpg in my '04 V8 AWD in long-ish highway spurts at 80 km/hr but it's short-lived. My average hovers around 18 mpg and I run on regular and mid-grade.

Your mileage may vary.

Retep is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac SRX '04 AWD V8

I am running with 87 .
    Be aware that the average gas milage shown on your board computer is not 100% accurate. What I always do is filling up the gas tank completely - then I write down the milage shown and drive till I am almost empty. Then I write down again the milage driven , fill it up again completely and calculate how many gpm I used.
    Board computer told me my average was 16.7 mpg ( 14.1 lt/100 km) , but in reality I got only 15.7 mpg ( 14.965 lt / 100 km). I know it's not much of a difference, but still it is 6%.
    Reason I used slightly more since the last time I gased up was that I really pushed the car a bit on twisty country roads.

Northern SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-4 3.6 & 2008 SRX-4 V6

Retep: I did the same thing when it was new - often enough to establish the discrepancy. I did it again a year later and got the same discrepancy and now I just follow the car's computer and adjust. You will note that the discrepancy changes a bit between the temperature extremes you and I experience but mine averages about 5% throughout the year - close enough for shouting.

Of course, then I have to boost the mpg figure on the read-out by 20% to go from US to Imperial mpg just because, well, I'm that old and advertisers still occasionally use mpg figures...

n7don_srx is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac '07 SRX-V6 RWD, '03 Envoy, '95 S10 pu

This is extracted from the 07 Owners Manual. Would assume the 06 info would be similar:

"If your vehicle has the 4.6L V8 engine (VIN Code A), use premium unleaded gasoline with a posted
    octane rating of 91 or higher. You may also use regular unleaded gasoline rated at 87 octane or
    higher, but your vehicle’s acceleration may be slightly reduced, and you may notice a slight
    audible knocking noise, commonly referred to as spark knock............. "

In the same Fuel section GM has this recommendation:

"Use of the recommended fuel is an important part of the proper maintenance of your vehicle. To
    help keep your engine clean and maintain optimum vehicle performance, GM recommends the use
    of gasoline advertised as TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline."
    Fuels meeting top tier specs can be found at www.toptiergas.com

G32006SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac SRX V6 AWD

I drive 75% city and 25% Hwy and get 15.8 mpg. I have on 06 AWD V6

jrose7004 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 10 SRX Luxury

Quote Originally Posted by taloniilm View Post
    I'm running 87 in my V6 with no problems... Average MPG is 29 !!!
    The best I've been able to do on the highway is 22.5!

laserguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade AWD Lux

Quote Originally Posted by Retep View Post
    I am running with 87 .
    Be aware that the average gas milage shown on your board computer is not 100% accurate. What I always do is filling up the gas tank completely - then I write down the milage shown and drive till I am almost empty. Then I write down again the milage driven , fill it up again completely and calculate how many gpm I used.
    Board computer told me my average was 16.7 mpg ( 14.1 lt/100 km) , but in reality I got only 15.7 mpg ( 14.965 lt / 100 km). I know it's not much of a difference, but still it is 6%.
    Reason I used slightly more since the last time I gased up was that I really pushed the car a bit on twisty country roads.
    I am on the same page...same test same results...2005 N*(V8)

I am using all the time 91...one time i put 87 and engine light comes on....no Good...if you love your Caddy..put 91 !

Laserguy

CQRT is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I drive a mix of freeway and in-town and average 19.2 - 19.8 . . .but the highway is usually during rush hour and rarely permits extended cruising.

My recollection is that the owners manual does not require 91 octane . . although the car understandably gets slightly better MPG with the higher octane becasue it burns more efficiently. I generally run a mix of 87-->91 depending upon how whacky the price point is at our local stations.

I just completed a 750 mile trip, and got a disappointing low 20's (albeit with 4 people, luggage) - - heck, even my C6 Corvette can push 30 on the roadway if I keep my foot out of it (but it's not nearly as much fun!)

Regards-

CQRT in AZ

n7don_srx is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac '07 SRX-V6 RWD, '03 Envoy, '95 S10 pu

Quote Originally Posted by CQRT View Post

My recollection is that the owners manual does not require 91 octane . . although the car understandably gets slightly better MPG with the higher octane becasue it burns more efficiently. I generally run a mix of 87-->91 depending upon how whacky the price point is at our local stations.

CQRT in AZ
    There's a discussion on octane in the section of fuel type. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_ec...iors#Fuel_type
    If your driving habits/conditions allow the lower octane to be used, little or no benefit will arise from using higher octane. It's only a measure of the fuel's ability to resist engine knock. In fact higher octane fuels often have a lower energy content.
    The engine management system will retard timing when knock is detected. If you drive "hard", have heavy loads or live at lower elevations you may benefit from using higher octane fuel because of retarded timing.

Fyreman235 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 SRX n* lx/perf

I try to use 91 or better, and when the price differential is a dime or less, I use premium. Often in the midwest, 89 octane ethenol is cheaper than 87 regular, and premium is well above that. I will use 89 if it is cheap, but have never put 87 in. My understanding is that low octane gas will cause the timing to be retarded, and remembering what retarded timing does to performance from the old days, I don't want to deal with it. I can afford a buck or two more per fillup, and don't want to mess with retarded timing. We do have some stations locally with 89-91-93 octane, where the 91 ethanol is the cheapest due to subsidies. That's the best of all.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.