DIY SRX oil change (AWD 04')
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, DIY SRX oil change (AWD 04') in Cadillac SRX Forums; Hello Cadillac Owners Forum, As indicated by the title of this thread, I am attempting to change the oil in ...
    nberg100k is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

DIY SRX oil change (AWD 04')

Hello Cadillac Owners Forum,

As indicated by the title of this thread, I am attempting to change the oil in my AWD 2004 SRX and was looking for some help. The last oil change I did myself was back in 2002 in a 00' STS, and just wondered if there was anything tricky I needed to be aware of.

I found a useful thread titled "changing oil for the first time" in which there is a step by step guide with pics included by forum user name "vdo". (Sorry, I don't have enough posts on this board to submit a url link...) His is a V6 2004, and from what I've read the only major differences is that the V8 uses 7.5 quarts. Am I correct?

vdo's steps for the change
    1) Have the engine warm.
    2) Secure front of car on ramps or jack and stands.
    3)Remove oil filler cap (Marked with "Mobile1 SAE 5W-30").
    4) Remove drain plug (13mm socket) and let oil drain out.
    5) Remove oil filter cap (15/16" socket). The oil filter will be stuck to this cap.
    6) Swap out oil filter and reinstall.
    7) Tighten oil drain plug.
    8) Fill with 5 1/2 qts of oil and tighten oil filler cap.
    9) Start engine, let idle for a little bit, and shut off.
    10) Check for leaks and check new oil level.
    11) Reset Oil Life Monitor (see owners manual)

I have access to a lift and equipment to get the job done, I'm just sick of paying $90 for a job I could get done for roughly half.

Thanks in advance for any input on this.

N

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

sgilbert is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ('04 SRX N* AWD) '11 Lincoln MKT AWD

Re: DIY SRX oil change (AWD 04')

Easier than the V6. The 6 has a filter in a cannister--the 8 has a spin-on filter) The V8's filter in underneath the car very close to the front, slightly toward the passenger side. No need to jack the car up or use a creeper. It is reachable from the front within arm's reach.

All you'll need is a filter "socket", socket. & ratchet, and you're all set.

I buy my Mobil1 at Sam's club in 6 packs for around $28/case

john d is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

18lb plug, 22lb filter..... use a torque wrench and that's the shop manual specs. I won't use anything other than the gm filter as I've found the "super" filters have too much packing and restrict oil flow.
    For the filter I use the "socket" that is knurled (Fram at WALMART) and fits the filter top like a hat...makes torquing simple. On that topic I was too ill/weak when oil last needed a change so went to the dealer with a discount coupon...
    Two weeks later noticed spots of oil under the engine. Feeling a bit better I crawled under and found the filter weeping. Put the torque wrench on it and tightened...made 3/4 turn before wrench clicked. Leak fixed.
    Tighten either too much and strip threads..too little and leaks.
    Have fun!

smithb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I always do mine and there are no surprises. It is very straight forward. I do always hand tighten my filters though. After lubing the gasket with Mobile 1, I spin it until it butts up against the oil pan (when it won't spin freely anymore) then turn it 3/4 of a turn. I use the sticker on the side of the filter as a reference. If there is any doubt, I give it a little extra. I've never had a leak, and I've never used a wrench to remove a filter I've installed. I always use AC Delco as well. They are made by Champs labs, like Mobile 1 and K&N filters. While K&N and Mobile 1 are pretty much the same filtering element, AC Delco isn't the same.

sgilbert is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ('04 SRX N* AWD) '11 Lincoln MKT AWD

My choice is Purolator Pure One. NEVER a Fram!

john d is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I bought a PP1 and decided to not use it.
    By mouth, try blowing through the center hole (of a new one ha ha) and then through the gm. The PP1 was like a wine cork (over stated) and the gm comparatively was like an air filter.
    I was concerned that the engine might starve for oil or the bypass would kick open and either wasn't a good thing.
    My concerns were due to an auto mags test of filters and their comments.

cstreu1026 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 SRX

I just did mine two days ago for the first time since buying it. It was relatively simple especially since I have access to a 4 post lift to do it. It was as straight forward as any other car I changed oil on.

nberg100k is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks guys! Great advice and info as always.

I'll most likely just stick with the AC Delco filter on this first one.

Thanks for the Sams Club heads up gilbert, that is pretty cheap.

jpettit is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac SRX V-6 RWD

If anyone wants a 4 page illustrated manual in a pdf format compiled by owner's group members regarding oil changes, resetting the DIC, approved oils, filter brand options, magnetic drain plugs for the V6 SRX, etc. please advise jpettit(at)swbell.net.

At 2 MB, it is too large to upload to the owner's group's website.

bigdaddysrx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac SRX

Wally World (walmart) sells Mobil 1 in gallon jugs at a very good price. Buy 2 gallons and save the balance if yours is a burner. I always stick with the OEM filter for all my cars with the exception of my Mustang GT vert. On that I pop for the Mobil 1 filter. (once a year oil change). The problem with drive on ramps is that the drain plug is in the front of the oil pan. Much easier to just jack up the drivers side and then lower during the draining process. Just did mine again last Wednesday. 20 minute job....then off to the Woodward Cruise!
    regards,
    BD

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Just did the oil change on my 04 N*, it was super easy too.

Drive to quick lube place
    Roll window down
    Ask for Mobil 1 5w30
    Pull hood release
    Listen to Sirius radio
    Hand over Master Card
    Sign sales slip for $114 CDN
    Drive away

I like doing these places every now and then so I get stuff under the car checked, new oil is great but so is getting some lube Not sure how many grease points we have if any) and inspection done.

manitoumike is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Talking Re: DIY SRX oil change (AWD 04')

conedoctor......i laughed so hard i almost peed myself.

I try and save my time for the stuff that I don't want to pay for, signal bulbs, Sirius install and stuff like that.

bigdaddysrx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac SRX

conedoctor,
    54K automobile in the trusting hand of a reputable dealer ok. In my own hands even better. In the hands of a sandwich jockey turned oil technician possibly putting the wrong oil in and cheap filter on....priceless.
    regards,
    BD

Well I watched him pour 7.5 liters of Mobil 1 5w30 in so I was good there, the filter is super common and they shouldn't mess that up?

I like to think my dealer has trained qualified people as well but it just is not always the case, I think the oil change place changes more oil than the dealer so I trust them.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.