DIY SRX oil change (AWD 04') - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, DIY SRX oil change (AWD 04') in Cadillac SRX Forums; Originally Posted by conedoctor Well I watched him pour 7.5 liters of Mobil 1 5w30 in so I was good ...
    LaryBreaks is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: DIY SRX oil change (AWD 04')

Quote Originally Posted by conedoctor View Post
    Well I watched him pour 7.5 liters of Mobil 1 5w30 in so I was good there, the filter is super common and they shouldn't mess that up?

I like to think my dealer has trained qualified people as well but it just is not always the case, I think the oil change place changes more oil than the dealer so I trust them.
    I've known a couple of people who have visited those "Jiffy Lube" and "Valvoline Instant Oil Change" establishments who ended up losing their oil either due to lost drain plug or loose filter. Who knows what distracted the experts at those places. I'm more comfortable knowing that I did the job myself and did it right. I can listen to my XM radio while doing it.

Plus, I always hated smelling the oil burn off the headers from when they let oil drip all over the place while replacing the filter. I'm so much more careful.

Northern SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-4 3.6 & 2008 SRX-4 V6

I've used a good quick lube place before (once on the SRX!) but typically go dealer or DIY. Since oil changes are included in the Canadian Cadillac warranty for the first 4 years/80k kms, at 95k kms, ours hasn't had too many oil changes we've had to pay for ourselves. The one time I did it myself on the SRX (N*), it was easy because everything is reachable without jacks, stands, or ramps. Good advice on the end cap filter wrench - those guys do a decent job - provided there's room in the engine bay to work it. I own both types of wrenches and have a large plumber's slipwrench for those difficult removal jobs...

smithb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by conedoctor View Post
    Well I watched him pour 7.5 liters of Mobil 1 5w30 in so I was good there, the filter is super common and they shouldn't mess that up?

I like to think my dealer has trained qualified people as well but it just is not always the case, I think the oil change place changes more oil than the dealer so I trust them.
    Man, you can tell not only the viscosity, but the grade and brand of oil just by looking at it? That is impressive. I saw a guy drink "beer' right from the bottle. Turns out it was urine. It looks a lot different from beer, but he couldn't tell the difference just by looking at it.

Do whatever you want, I really couldn't care less, but (my two cents) if the dealer messes up, they have to answer to Cadillac and/or GM. If some guy's quick lube franchise messes up, they answer to no one. If the owner is smart and set up a LLC, by definition only the business is liable, so once they are out of business, you get nothing.

BMBLBEE is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac SRX Base

Quote Originally Posted by jpettit View Post
    If anyone wants a 4 page illustrated manual in a pdf format compiled by owner's group members regarding oil changes, resetting the DIC, approved oils, filter brand options, magnetic drain plugs for the V6 SRX, etc. please advise jpettit(at)swbell.net.

At 2 MB, it is too large to upload to the owner's group's website.
    Sent you an email
    Bob

Can someone give me a hint of what the V6 canister looks like and where it's located? I have a 4 post lift and want to do my own oil change.

Thanks,
    Bob

Klei14 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 SRX, 2008 G37 6MT

I'm going to try to change the oil on my SRX over the spring/summer, its too cold to do it myself right now.

King3244 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX

The V-6 filter is located top side on the drivers side....it looks like an aluminum canister with a big nut on top of it. It will be in front of your dipstick, which is yellow in color. When you remove the top of that canister the filter will come with the top. Pull it off, replace with new filter (filter can go in either way), clean and lube rubber o ring and screw it back on and torque to specs.

Quote Originally Posted by King3244 View Post
    The V-6 filter is located top side on the drivers side....it looks like an aluminum canister with a big nut on top of it. It will be in front of your dipstick, which is yellow in color. When you remove the top of that canister the filter will come with the top. Pull it off, replace with new filter (filter can go in either way), clean and lube rubber o ring and screw it back on and torque to specs.
    Thanks! I spent 20 minutes underneath when I last had the SRX on the lift & was starting to wonder whether I was loosing my ability to spot a plain old oil filter canister.

Oil change this weekend!

Bob

Oil change done! Thanks to J Pettit for the PDF instructions this was one of the easiest jobs I have done in a long time. Poor dealer will need to find another source of revenue.

Bob

frankf72malibu is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 SRX

Howdy all. New SRX owner here (2006 V6 AWD). Just reading through this post helped me to quickly ansd easily change the oil. I would say it is easier than our Silverado or Tahoe. Also, these are definitely slick little vehicles. My wife loves it. Thanks for the post and replies.
    Frank

jattdasrx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX, CTS

all very good points

TimRSRX777 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): SRX

First oil change since buying SRX, v6 AWD .. have read a few threads on how to do it. Answered most of my questions but one. Sounds like Mobil 1, full synthetic is the preferred oil brand? Right? or is there another one that the members of this forum would recommend. I know there is a list somewhere of approved oils. But would really like to find out the consensus on here of what oil to use? What about viscosity - 5W-30? Any recommendations you give me would be greatly appreciated. Any other service items that should be done at the same time?

n7don_srx is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac '07 SRX-V6 RWD, '03 Envoy, '95 S10 pu

5W-30 is the recommended viscosity.
    This was copied from my 07's owner's manual:
    Your vehicle’s engine requires a special oil
    meeting GM Standard GM4718M. Oils meeting
    this standard may be identified as synthetic.
    However, not all synthetic oils will meet
    this GM standard. Look for and use only an oil
    that meets GM Standard GM4718M.

Mobil 1 meets this standard, in fact, several brands meet this standard. It's marked on the container somewhere. I use Pennzoil Platinum but also have used Mobil 1. I'll also mention Mobil 1 5W-30 meets GM's Dexos standard that's "required" in 2011 and up GM engines.

Whiplash_89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 SRX V8 AWD, 04 NSRT4

I buy and use what ever synthetic is on sale. Oils these days are much better than oil a few decades ago. I really don't know anyone that has any oil issues with any car what so ever as long as they actually change the oil.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.