Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Can I add the towing package after the fact?

9K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  steined 
#1 ·
I have a 2004 SRX without the towing package. Can I still go to the dealer and have them add that? And if so, approximately how much will that run me?

Thanks a lot!

-Juri

#3 · (Edited)
larger radiator too?
Quote from Edmonds.com: heavy-duty cooling system, power steering fluid cooler and 4250 lb. trailering capacity.
From Cadillac.com build your own:
UTILITY PACKAGE
Utility Package, includes (AM0) third row power seats, (V92) Trailering Package, (C57) rear air conditioning, (V08) heavy-duty cooling system and (V12) power steering fluid cooler (Y45)
$1,500.00

Anyone know what's in (V92)?

#4 ·
larger radiator too?
Quote from Edmonds.com: heavy-duty cooling system, power steering fluid cooler and 4250 lb. trailering capacity.
From Cadillac.com build your own:
UTILITY PACKAGE
Utility Package, includes (AM0) third row power seats, (V92) Trailering Package, (C57) rear air conditioning, (V08) heavy-duty cooling system and (V12) power steering fluid cooler (Y45)
$1,500.00

Anyone know what's in (V92)?
My '07 shows a separate line that simply reads: V92 - Trailering Equipment
It also has Y45 - Utility Package * Third Row Power Seat (Replaces Reconfigurable Storage) * Trailering Equipment * Rear Air Conditioning * Heavy Duty Cooling System * Power Steering Fluid Cooler

#6 ·
In addition to those items listed, the trailering package included a "Tow/Haul" mode option button on the 07. Also the transmission cooler, which is between the radiator and a/c condensor, is larger than the stock cooler.
You are correct but it does not show as an rpo code and I see not mention of it in my rpo code listing. Guess V92 could be the tow/haul button but it would seem that it should be part of the towing package.
Since I do not tow I forgot about it. I am considering adding the hitch which will not hurt the resale value. Thinking of children/grandchildren and no way to haul anything of size 750 miles away. Heck, you cannot even open the rear gate glass only and let something stick out for a short trip from the lumber yard.

#7 ·
Is overheating the only issue or are there also structural changes involved in the towing package? Because if I'm planning on only towing 1250 lbs maybe it's not worth it. I know that's over the 'official' amount but perhaps it doesn't really make a difference as long as I don't have luggage and passengers in the car as well? Thoughts?

#9 ·
Is overheating the only issue or are there also structural changes involved in the towing package? Because if I'm planning on only towing 1250 lbs maybe it's not worth it. .........Thoughts?
We would highly recommend some additional trans cooling for towing; maybe an after-mkt-trans-cooler, if doing any towing in hills, mtns, etc. Would suspect trans most vulnerable to over-heating from extra load.

Our 2005 SRX N*V8 RWD, M22 5 spd, w/ frnt & rear air, plus V92 tow pkg (incl "HD cooling system"), no hitch. It has 2 electric fans in front of engine/AC/trans radiator assy and an engine-belt-driven fan behind. Have no info on radiator/AC/trans cooling sandwich whether "HD" has more capacity than "standard".
We also have a small supplementary "radiator" in front of the electric fans; we always believed this to be aux cooler for transmission, but guess it could be for power steering or ???; We have not traced coolent tubes due to disassembly reqd to check out.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

ps: we have had no overheating on long mountain climbs or even at 117 deg in slow moving heavy traffic on Las Vegas Strip

#12 ·
If you see my post.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-forum/159862-lemon-lol.html
and scroll down to the build sheet on page 1.
You will see the SRX has V92 however, V08/V12 are empty? Any input? does it have the 2 Cooling systems? or Just the Button??
Any Info would be appreciated! I went to test drive the truck sales guy says "well it's sold" then calls me back and says "no it isn't?" I'm like thanks buddy I drove 1hr out of the way for no reason. Believe me when I go back I'm talking the sales manager 'bout this!

#13 ·
My '08 (I bought it brand new) has only one option, the V6 luxury collection.
It does not have the V92 towing package listed on the options plate.
However, it does have:
- a separate PS cooler in front of the radiator.
- 2 electric cooling fans behind the radiator.
- a tow/haul button.
- trailor hitch wiring/socket, tie-wrapped to the left bumper support.
- no way I can tell about the radiator size.

So, were all these items made std at some time?

DG

#14 ·
I finally looked under the hood of my 2008 V6 and I have a huge radiator with two electric fans with a separate small radiator in front (don't know for sure that this is power steering). I also have the tow/haul button. I didn't check under for the wiring (it is snowing outside!). I don't have V92, so this is very interesting.

#15 ·
About a year ago there was an ongoing discussion on what V92 included. My 07 has the option. I removed the shield and made some measurements (as best of I could) The transmission cooler is sandwiched between the a/c condensor and radiator. Mine was approx 5" x 22". Another posters without the V92 option said his was 4" x 22". Don't know other details such as how close the fin spacing is, for example. But it does appear there's a difference in trans. coolers with and without the options. I went so far as to check if the hoses to and from the cooler were separately available. They weren't. I was looking into adding an extra trans. cooler but like to have a backup to revert back to the stock setup. Since the original poster has an 04 this might be an option. Cut the lines and plumb in a extra cooler in series with the OE unit.
For reference the power steering cooler on mine is approx. 3" x 12". Might compared with a non-V92 setup.
As far as radiators I suggest checking part numbers. Best guess they are the same size but the V92's fin density is higher.

#16 ·
For 1250 lbs you'll likely be just fine. These things aren't super at towing v92 or not. I've towed a couple thousand miles with mine total so far with a ~3500lbs boat and the V8, 6spd, V92. I'll just say that it isn't all that happy doing it, but it does it diligently. Oh and I get about 13-14MPG while doing it. I'd be willing to bet my G8 GT would tow better! :stirpot: But I doubt I'll be testing that theory out...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.