Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2008 srx navigation

6K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  edharson 
#1 ·
i have tried the navigation unit now several times and each time it screws up for instance i plugged in an address and it took me about 4 miles away from the address i put in.

i live in michigan and i went to indiana and at 1 point it kept telling me to make right turns going in a square circle over and over.

i have a garmin which i take with me and i always end up using it.

today i called the gm map center and was told that yes they know there is a lot of problems with the navigation software and there should be a new disk ready this month to correct the problems but since i have a 2008 the disk will cost me like 175.00 for the software, they no longer give you a free disk starting with 2008

gm really knows how to keep there customers and they wonder why there falling behind in sales.

#12 · (Edited)
My '08 SRX is 3 weeks old, or I'd take it back...

We live outside of Tampa and have a condo on Marco Island. For those unfamiliar with the west coast of Florida, both locations are off I-75 -- approx 200 miles apart. The NAV sends me there via Miami (about 300 miles out of the way). Not very useful. My Magellan has no problem.

It's the small stuff that kills the big deal.2

#13 ·
My '08 SRX is 3 weeks old, or I'd take it back...

We live outside of Tampa and have a condo on Marco Island. For those unfamiliar with the west coast of Florida, both locations are off I-75 -- approx 200 miles apart. The NAV sends me there via Miami (about 300 miles out of the way). Not very useful. My Magellan has no problem.

It's the small stuff that kills the big deal.2
Ditto on our '07 NAV. My '04 TOMTOM is better.

#15 ·
I have to agree that this navigation system doesn't measure up to other units that I have seen. In addition to problems already mentioned, I think that the graphics appear almost primitive. Reminds me of a 1970's Atari video game vs the current life like offerings.
I have considered removing the unit and installing a good aftermarket unit, but fear problems with the Bose and the RSE systems. However, if a new Nav disc is available to correct the software then paying for it might be the best alternative.

#16 ·
Does anyone have a non-domestic car with Nav to compare with or just assume that it is better because it is not a GM.

My A6 would lead me all over the place on occation as well, I think it happens to them all. The Nav in my 04 SRX and 03 Sierra would take stupid routes and get lost here and there but most of the time I would get to where I wanted to be, not always the perfect route but I would get there.

GM makes a fine car, just as good as the rest I say. Lets see TomTom make a car :)

#20 ·
I've used the Nav in my 09 several times w/o any of the difficulties folks complain about. In fact I ran a buddies Garmin along the same route and both seemed identical, the Garmin was about ONE FULL second faster on the voice commands though.

My 08 Accord had one of the best OEM GPS/Nav systems I've ever used (great graphics/look) but it acted squirrely at times. Remember these are just HUGE data bases and often it was some goofy internal setting that was mis-set that was causing all the issues.

I'd try and borrow an 09 DVD from a local dealer and see how it performs.

#22 ·
I'd try and borrow an 09 DVD from a local dealer and see how it performs.

If you borrow a 2009 disk and let it do it's UPDATE FIRMWARE thing...your 2008 disk will have the same features as the 2009 disk.
Such as the ability to turn on and off the right side that shows the upcoming exits and showing the correct lane to be in at a freeway intersection.

The only advantage that I can see to buying vs borrowing one for a few minutes, will be updated database info and more/newer POI's.

My son had a 2007 GMC Sierria Denali and I updated his nav system firmware with my 2009 disk. He is still using his own 2008 disk for day to day operation.

Texas Jim

#24 ·
My 09 was missing the DVD, so the dealership loaned me one out of an 07 for the time being. The dealership ordered me the new one, but GM NAV says they are not available and are not saying when they will be available. I called just yesterday and got the run around from the GM NAV Service Rep.

now - With the 07 disk in place, my SRX Nav sucks - - it is a cool toy, but if I truly want to get where I am going, I use my Garmin! The Graphics and routing on my NUVI are FAR Superior to my SRX.

I have a road trip planned STL to Florida on the 19th, so it looks like I might have to buy one off of EBAY.

Funny -- GM doesn't have the disks, but EBay does!

Of course, with GM going bankrupt, it is probably going to screw us getting things taken care of.

Get your car in the shop for any warranted stuff - - before the parts are no longer available.

#25 ·
I got my disc as part of the free update service that all 2007 GM vehicles with NAV got. 2 years of free updates. I called them in early March and got the disc about 3 weeks later. It costs $199 from the gmnavdisc site I think. I've been using the 3D perspective view and I really like it. I find the graphics simple and subtle enough that they don't look cartoonish and they don't look too bright at night either. Although its cool, I don't see any point in being able to see buildings on the screen as some of the newer Garmins can do.

The thing I hated most about the Nav was that you couldn't input addresses or search POIs while driving. I got one of those lockpic units and all my problems were solved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.