Anyone changed the transfer case and differential fluid?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Anyone changed the transfer case and differential fluid? in Cadillac SRX Forums; Just curious if there were any tricks, most vehicles are pretty straightforward. With 55k I'd like to replace it with ...
    onewhippedpuppy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '04 SRX V8 AWD

Anyone changed the transfer case and differential fluid?

Just curious if there were any tricks, most vehicles are pretty straightforward. With 55k I'd like to replace it with some quality Royal Purple synthetic oil, no idea what's in there right now. Maybe I'll pick up 1/10 of a MPG.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

steined is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 Cadillac SRX V8,AWD,Sport

Re: Anyone changed the transfer case and differential fluid?

Funny you asked this.. I was just thinking about doing the same last week. I switched to Royal Purple for the boat this year and like it so far.

I've used Royal Purple in the transmission, diff, and transfer case of vehicles for years. Obviously couldn't tell any real difference in the diff or transfer case, but using it in manual transmissions over the years has always smoothed out the shifts.

On most diffs and transfer cases it's easy, just pull the drain and fill plugs, drain the old and pump in the new. However, new vehicles seem to make everything more complicated than it should be.

gwnkids is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have the same question
    Plus I want to do the trans as well, has anyone done that? I did not see a drain plug like in the Duramax/Ally

PhoenixSRX is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 SRX

FYI
    Mine went in for its maintentance and they found the rear axle seals leaking badly down the carrier at 71000k 44117m. Had to replace the seals 88996591 and the Lr snap ring broke 90223082 so they had to order that as well.

Seems like I remember reading that the transmission was recomended to flush, as opposed to a simple drain and fill.

I guess nobody has messed with the transfer case or diff? I'll give it a shot sometime and update this after.

broberts87 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I've replaced my transfer case. Chain was popping on the old one. Not too bad of a job. (the lower control arm on the passenger side was way harder) I would recommend two people and a jack. The hardest part was removing the the exhaust pipe. All four bolts broke from the pipe to the flange and had to be drilled out and replaced. In all, took about four hours. Probably quicker if it hadn't been for those bolts. I bought the transfer case used for about $700. Probably saved myself a good $1400

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.