Gas Milage Went to 6 mpg
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Gas Milage Went to 6 mpg in Cadillac SRX Forums; Have owned an '04 SRX V8 since new with 36,000 current miles. I have had no real problems until now. ...
    edering 04 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Unhappy Gas Milage Went to 6 mpg

Have owned an '04 SRX V8 since new with 36,000 current miles. I have had no real problems until now. 3 months ago I told the local Caddy dealer that the trans seemed to be pulling on some hills. They fixed this by "reprograming" the trans. Since then the milage has gone from 12-13 (not great)in the city to 6-7mpg (unbelievable.) I got 114 miles on the last tank of gas! The dealer says everything checks out fine. They say they can't get rid of the reprogram because GM doesn't give them the software to do that. Does anyone know what is going on and what I can do about it? I told the dealer to keep the car until they find something. I don't think they liked that.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Re: Gas Milage Went to 6 mpg

Kick the service manager in the nuts until he can find a solution?

I hate when this happens, they have no fix for the bad fix you got. I worry everytime I take mine in, if I get the Tcase reprogram nuts are going to roll

GMJim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04,06,10 SRX; 2011/14 CTS Wagon

Welcome & BUMMER!
    I hope they figure it out.
    I thought $50.00 didn't go far at 18MPG.
    Geeze, that's terrible.

john d is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

At what speeds can you sport shift to 5th gear and then go back to drive without the rpms increasing?
    I'm suspecting the shift points have been set at a higher speed and therefore staying in lower gears than before.
    Even if that's the reason I don't know what you could do other than point it out to a higher authority than your service department folks hoping for a fix.

PERK is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I think it is absolutely criminal that they can put 15 to 20 MPG on the sales sticker and then plead stupid when your vehicle comes no where close...
    Keep trying as others do get the sticker mileage...(do a search)
    We went through the same thing (/04SRXloaded) and I had the dealer write on the repair ticket that 12 to 14 MPG is common for these vehicles as I intended to go to court...however, by an off chance I put in a can of Techron and the MPG went up to almost the window sticker rating...
    If its not in the computer these people are not allowed to think anymore..
    I did get another dealer to re calibrate the transmission as the shifting , shifting,shifting was driving me crazy..
    Good luck and keep us posted (I think we should start a class action suit)..
    Perk

I know they changed the shift points with the reprogram. I thought that because this had not happened before it was something in the engine. Initially the service manager said they did this instead of a torque converter replacement. What did they think would happen? They should at least ask me. I would have said don't do it. I told then a few weeks later that the engine was making a high pitch winning sound and they said that was the the computer adjusting. Who do I take this to?

GMJim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04,06,10 SRX; 2011/14 CTS Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by edering 04 View Post
    Who do I take this to?
    A different dealership.

louisn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 srx V-8 awd

Quote Originally Posted by PERK View Post
    I think it is absolutely criminal that they can put 15 to 20 MPG on the sales sticker and then plead stupid when your vehicle comes no where close...
    Good luck and keep us posted (I think we should start a class action suit)..
    Perk
    Those mileage numbers are just ESTIMATES-not guarantees. The 2008 ESTIMATES for all cars are very accurate. My 2004 SRX gets exactly what the 2008 figures esimate. The 2007 and earlier ESTIMATE for city were were ALL 20% too high: even for my Accord.

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

6 miles per gallon, as said start with a new dealer, that is way wrong.

TSS
    TSS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 Lade & 06 SRX (Gone); 2010 Enclave CXL; 2010 MKS Ecoboost

Quote Originally Posted by edering 04 View Post
    Have owned an '04 SRX V8 since new with 36,000 current miles. I have had no real problems until now.
    OT: I just didn't want this fact to go un-noticed...

Definitely something is wrong with that kind of MPG. Sounds like an 02 sensor maybe, but I would expect a code. Maybe unhook the trailer and recalcualte? Sorry.

jimb is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX AWD, V-8

6 mpg just plain sux.........!
    My votes would be:
    1.) A different, competent, Cadillac service center.
    2.) Advise you current service manager you want to meet with him and the factory representative next time he comes through town.

BTW: Anyone out there know if the power chip programmers would help "do it one's self" on scanning transmission settings?

The service manager now says that the problem is the trans reprogram and that they have reversed the reprogram. Before he said it was not the problem and they could not reverse it. Go figure. I haven't had a chance to test this yet.

Infrared in Idaho is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 SRX V6 AWD

Service Manager? I would hate to see the Techs. I would defintely go to another dealer.

RobVuk is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX V8 AWD Sport

Be sure to come back and tell us what happened when they figure it out.

john d is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Hey everyone................how much damage can happen with all that fuel dumping over the O2 sensors, thought the cat's and the rest of the exhaust system?
    How can he determine?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.